Real men don't eat quiche!

What is this BS!

Had a male friend over for dinner, was wondering what to cook and because it was hot and frankly I didn’t want to launch into a heavy meal I decided to make a quiche. I baked the casing first, the filling comprised of goat’s cheese, spinach, egg, cream, grated zucchini and semi sun dried tomatoes. I was confident he had enjoyed it, so I asked, (because he wasn’t forthcoming with any praise) did you enjoy that?

He said, Real mean don’t eat quiche. HA! I said What? he said haven’t you heard that saying? and frankly I hadn’t. But it intrigued me and I did some research and this is what I came up with.

'Apparently, there’s some truth to men’s culinary fickleness:

Meat is manly. Salad is not.

It’s a scientific fact. Researchers at Northwestern University have found that men tend to choose what they perceive as masculine foods, like gravy, rib-eye steaks, and foods described as “hearty,” over supposedly feminine foods like red wine sauce and fillets and “luscious” salads, providing support for the old adage that real men don’t eat quiche".

vimeo.com/74236999

Just put more meat in it. And take away the crust. Basically, just make it an everything omelet, instead. :mrgreen:

You mean Frittata.

Quiche was a strange foreign fad in the '70s so there was a reaction. Believe it or not, the same thing happened with Pizza in the '50s. The most innocuous, generally agreeable dish I can think of (pizza) was once radical and counterculture. Quiche didn’t become American in the same was Pizza did but Brunch has been having a 20 year resurgence.

No, I don’t mean frittata, I mean quiche.

I was talking to Pandora who said we should remove the crust.

I love Quiches and Frittatas. But let’s be specific.

Okay, just make a baked omelet, no biggie. Men are usually wary of foreign (sounding) foods and stick to traditional tried and true. Some may never even heard of such fancy names. Fri-ttata actually sounds kinda gay (at least pretentious and cosmopolitan). I mean, were Italians the only ones who could make a baked omelet? What such a man to think when a woman offers him a frittata? Or a quiche? :laughing: Okay, it depends on a man, but men, generally, like to know, or at least have an idea of what they are about to eat. Of course, there are some men who are adventurous eaters, but I don’t think that’s the norm.

I don’t mean this against you, maiden, I’m just venting here, but I’ve noticed that there is a lot of pretentiousness in the restaurant business. Unfortunately, to know the imitation, you have to know the real deal, as well. For me, for example, it’s very hard to find a good French restaurant, since most of the dishes are not what they are supposed to be (compared to the same dish in France). I understand that there is cultural variation (fusion thing going on) and regulations against serving raw meat or certain animal products. But I don’t think it’s right to copy the name but not the product itself, and to do so just to make a regular dish sound better. Some establishments write these fancy menus just to make dishes sound more appetizing and to charge more for the meal.

These businesses are feeding into people’s ignorance and their need to appear more culturally “sophisticated”, but in reality, they are all about appearances. So you get to look sophisticated and cultured I get to look sophisticated and cultured, but neither of us knows anything about what we are really eating. Everybody’s just pretending to be better than what they really are. (and a cook in the kitchen, who’s probably Mexican, is laughing his ass off). See, a pizza in America is not a pizza in Italy, nor is calzone; and a steak tartare in America is not the same as steak tartare in France. Nobody wants to eat raw sliced beef, but calling it “steak” a la tartare somehow makes it okay, just as nobody wants to eat pieces/slices of raw fish, but they are okay if you call it sashimi or poke.
Anybody wants to eat some snails? No? How about some imported Escargots a la Bourguignonne for $15 a plate? That sounds pretty sophisticated, doesn’t it? Sorry, but I’ve seen too many of such promising menus that turned out to be nothing more than a marketing scam. I mean, there are even places that count french fries as a serving of vegetables!
So there you have it; I’ll eat my omelet and you can eat your frittata. :laughing:

Are you sure they really want to know - or is it that they’re just afraid of looking ignorant when they don’t know? I mean, if he’s the one who chooses an exotic restaurant and has memorized the correct foreign pronunciations, he’s all too happy to bring a date who has never seen these foods before, doesn’t know what cutlery - if any - to use, or how to address the server, so he can show off and she feels at a disadvantage.

The question wasn’t about pretentious restaurants; it was about a genuine effort, plus the trouble and expense of procuring the proper ingredients, by a hostess, receiving no sign of appreciation from a graceless guest, presumably because he was protecting his self-image.

Just don’t invite the bum ever again! Invite me.

They might be men, but they wouldn’t be Human.

I agree with humunculus. Where have all the great(full) people gone?

But, there is a bigger issue here, prompting me to do some research which quickly expanded into recognising there is a journey for men in attaining manhood. So this is becoming tricky. Does “the fear of the feminine help define what is masculine?” Are there certain female behaviours that might trigger this psychology, i.e. women who are independent could be perceived as threatening. According to various sources, the male fear of the feminine is connected to how men must behave in order to feel accepted as men, like an internal device used for observing to ensure that men stay within the boundaries of what is regarded as masculine.

Camille Paglia declares: A woman simply is, but a man must become. Masculinity is risky and elusive. It is achieved by a revolt from woman, and it is confirmed only by other men. Manhood coerced into sensitivity is no manhood at all.

youtu.be/qIB2m735vK4

There is no absolute or ultimate definition of masculinity.
Some men are content to be themselves; secure in their bodies; confident in their abilities.
Many men are forever falling short on self-image.
Every culture wrestles with and agonizes over this question and none ever come to a satisfactory conclusion. Men are so self-involved, so much of the time, because they are forever finding fault with one another and with their sons. You can never be an adequate man in the eyes of some men. No test of pain-tolerance, no amount football fanaticism, no amount of tattooing and fighting or bragging or blood-letting is enough. And when men can’t get to grips on a difficult question [that they never really needed to pose in the first place] they tend to take their insecurity out on women, children and dogs.
No amount of misogyny will satisfy some cultures or some historical periods. (Unfortunately, the world has just recently embarked on one of those dark periods.)

Do you believe this?
I don’t know any women who are serene in simply being. All the women I know have had to deal with identity, self-image, self-presentation; self-doubt, self-hate. The becoming part - adolescence - doesn’t look to be any less stressful for girls than for boys.
A very large number of women in North America - where the living is supposedly so easy for them - seem to be suicidal, substance-addicted, prone to eating disorders, depressed, anxious, frustrated, unfulfilled, lonely, angry, or just quietly miserable.
In a screwed-up culture (which most are), in a screwed-up times (like most of the time) it’s not easy to be woman or a man…
but one may fondly imagine that being either is easier than being neither.

Yes, I believe I do.

It is better to be in this world, but not part of it.

HA! There is some truth in that.

In my country it’s just one big boys’ club, hence the reason I did not take too seriously the comment 'real men don’t eat quiche. One has to take into account a country where a male prime minister (Tony Abbott) referred to the female electorate as “housewives doing the ironing.”

Nevertheless, I am comfortable in my own skin and this is primarily I think, because I am not dependent upon a man, or anyone else for my survival. I have found that men are much needier than women and will have a harder time remaining single.

I think it may be true for men who have not yet attained their manhood (independent sense of self), or who are currently insecure in the one they have, in that they might be in danger (or afraid) of being tainted by the feminine. I believe it is more so true for young boys, but may be also so for grown men who are still on shaky ground in their development (and most men don’t mature until they’re 40 anyway). The most feminine men (not gay) I’ve known have been raised and surrounded by almost exclusively by women. Though in my experience, a man’s fear of emasculation is usually more pronounced when interacting with other men; with a woman he would be more flexible (to a point, of course). 8-[

I think we’re missing the point here on this little gender diversion…

Meat eating is evil.

Exploring transexuals gender psychologies is fine and dandy, but there are more important issues.

Saving animals.

Other animals don’t seem to have gender identity problems, dilemmas or politics. They grow up, fight if they must, screw if the opportunity presents, bear young if impregnated, care for them if they’re inescapable. The rest of the time, animals forage, feed, run from predators and fires, sleep, play and clean themselves. No angst; no culinary snobbery.

Alas, they can’t be saved.
We are too numerous, toxic, greedy and vicious.

Hitler helped animal rights, we need a second hitler, but a nicer hitler that wont murder anybody.

You got something against good food?

How does that question relate to the observation that other animals don’t make a pretense of liking things that are in vogue?

It so happens, I’m a passable vegetarian cook and used to have a discerning palate. I can still both produce and appreciate a good quiche.

If it doesn’t relate, then why did you say it?