What Is Anger, and Why Should We Care?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: What Is Anger, and Why Should We Care?

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:37 am

Whereas, "men are afraid that women will laugh at them", what say you men, is this true?

Do you have a view on this question?
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:42 am

A Shieldmaiden wrote:

Women are afraid that men will kill them Margaret Atwood

S wrote:

Specifically insecure men with a propensity for violence although all men [ and women ] have the capacity to kill

Of course, but for some reason I don't feel nearly as threatened by a woman as I would be if it was a man.

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby -1- » Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:35 pm

A Shieldmaiden wrote:
A Shieldmaiden wrote:
I realise that I am only passing through this life and that nothing really matters in the grand scheme of things and therefore anger is unnecessary

@ -1-

I didn't write this.

Fair enough. I got mixed up with the quotation system. I apologize.

There is no consensus here how to use the quotation HTML. There are at least two different kinds, one is more straightforward and less ambiguous than the other.

It becomes a real problem with nested quotes and with removing parts of nested quotes.

In short, I hate my life.
-1-

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:17 pm

-1-
In short, I hate my life.

Why - if that is true?

That aside, do you sometimes experience fear that women or a woman will laugh at you?
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby -1- » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:34 pm

Arcturus Descending wrote:do you sometimes experience fear that women or a woman will laugh at you?

I do not fear that women or men will laugh at me.

But when I get snickered at, esp. by a group, or by a group of two, and they try to hide it, it angers me.

It happened recently at a StarBucks in London, where I live. The entire staff could not wipe off the smirk off their faces when they faced me. It was horrible. To add insult to insult, I always leave a hefty tip for getting coffee there.

I haven't been back since. It's not ridicule I fear; it's disrespect that angers me.
-1-

Postby -1- » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:38 pm

A Shieldmaiden wrote:Of course, but for some reason I don't feel nearly as threatened by a woman as I would be if it was a man.

Some animals, like dogs, also can or do pick up more aggession from human males' presence than form females'.

Maybe the smell of testosterone functions like frear-inducing, threatening forewarning. While the smell of estrogen is soothing, calming.
-1-

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:44 pm

-1- wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:do you sometimes experience fear that women or a woman will laugh at you?

I do not fear that women or men will laugh at me.

But when I get snickered at, esp. by a group, or by a group of two, and they try to hide it, it angers me.

It happened recently at a StarBucks in London, where I live. The entire staff could not wipe off the smirk off their faces when they faced me. It was horrible. To add insult to insult, I always leave a hefty tip for getting coffee there.

I haven't been back since. It's not ridicule I fear; it's disrespect that angers me.

Did you think that they were being more dishonest by hiding it?

Why do you think they were laughing in the first place?

But you're right and that kind of disrespect is neither intelligent nor humane.
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:06 pm

-1- wrote:

Go back.

Have your coffee, do not tip them and when leaving look them in the eye and with your best smile say, "have a nice day".

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind