Is Laughter Evolved From the Fear response?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Is Laughter Evolved From the Fear response?

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:40 am

I don't think it is.

But a guy said that it is.

Please provide evidence one way or the other.
trogdor
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED

Re: Is Laughter Evolved From the Fear response?

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:49 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:I don't think it is.

If a guy gets hit in the nuts by a baseball bat the response of laughter is one out of fear? No way! I'm sorry but I just can't buy any of that.

Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Mictlantecuhtli
Nihilistic Mystic And Hermit

Re: Is Laughter Evolved From the Fear response?

Postby Lev Muishkin » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:28 am

Ultimate Philosophy 1001 wrote:I don't think it is.

There is no direct evidence for this, and can't be. All cerebral structures are fugitive and do not present themselves in the fossil record. The only thing that remains is the negative space of the cranium.

The only thing you can hope to do, is use comparative psychology by looking at our primate cousins.
But I think the question is based in a false premise that there is a natural category "fear". Fear is a collection of different physical phenomena, which could be as easily described with a whole bunch of other concepts. Fear is an end point , not a starting point, and so is laughter.
That they are connected is obvious, that one stems from the other is meaningless.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher

Return to Psychology and Mind