Do you enjoy being around nature?

Do you like being in a forest, around trees? What about acres of nothing but green? What are your patterns of thought, when in a forest?

Yes, very much so. There’s a small area of forest near where I live, and I often spend time there, sometimes camping. It helps me relax.

No

I used to visit a woodland that was close by in the past; I’d go and perceive the place as transcendence, somewhere where reality wanted me to be. While visiting I’d experience the urge to stand next to trees, and look to the sun while the surrounding scenery was at my disposal, raising my hand to the sun (the scenery itself was greater than anything else in reality, especially nations and culture).
When camping, did you contemplate ideas similar to mine - ideas to do with right and wrong?

If I contemplate anything at all, it’s being part of nature, the never ending cycle of life, birth, death and rebirth, as the day comes and goes, just as the seasons come after each other.

I used to visit a woodland that was close by in the past; I’d go and perceive the place as transcendence, somewhere where reality wanted me to be. While visiting I’d experience the urge to stand next to trees, and look to the sun while the surrounding scenery was at my disposal, raising my hand to the sun (the scenery itself was greater than anything else in reality, especially nations and culture).
When camping, did you contemplate ideas similar to mine - ideas to do with right and wrong?
[/quote]
If I contemplate anything at all, it’s being part of nature, the never ending cycle of life, birth, death and rebirth, as the day comes and goes, just as the seasons come after each other.
[/quote]
What would take away from my experiences at the woodland would be the physical proximity to difference: not far from the one end of the woodland would be shops, which time and time again would annihilate my perception of the woodland’s meaning.
The idea that a shop could be anywhere in reality would hurt my ability to appreciate nature, yet I’d still visit in the evening in the summer, watching the sun’s setting moments (it was around these experiences that I’d intensely contemplate reality’s meaning, hoping that the appearance of the sun juxtaposed to the trees and land in front and around me was meant to signify the need to end all nations, and such ideas that give rise to nations).

[/quote]
What would take away from my experiences at the woodland would be the physical proximity to difference: not far from the one end of the woodland would be shops, which time and time again would annihilate my perception of the woodland’s meaning.
The idea that a shop could be anywhere in reality would hurt my ability to appreciate nature, yet I’d still visit in the evening in the summer, watching the sun’s setting moments (it was around these experiences that I’d intensely contemplate reality’s meaning, hoping that the appearance of the sun juxtaposed to the trees and land in front and around me was meant to signify the need to end all nations, and such ideas that give rise to nations).
[/quote]
There are shops near the woods I mentioned, and roads too, but if you go inside the woods the sound of cars fades away.

Does the UK have great forests?

We have forests larger than the UK.

Hell, think Russia has them bigger than the EU.

On the other hand, isn’t the Philippines basically just one big forest? :wink:

No, we just have woods. The kind of places where you half expect to come across Winnie the Pooh.

Where is it now?

I hope you didn’t cause them any embarrassment.

And how, exactly, did you dispose of it?

Honestly, I don’t have too strong of a attachment to nature per say, it is a divided concept in my mind, depending on my mode.

When I set out on hikes, it is by a general azimuth (minus the compass, I have a generally good sense of direction) or a end point (this town) and both nature, the rural, suburban and even the urban is crossed. I rarely just go out to sit “in nature”… I might choose to sit by the river, but I tend to gravitate towards locations modified, like ruins or bridges. I don’t have that Jack London appeal anymore just to thrust myself into the wilderness as I did as a teen… Delta Junction, Alaska cured me of that. Wilderness sucks. Watch the movie “The Grey”, I was more or less on that guts trajectory for a number of years, could of very easily of turned out like him.

Very close to a aspect of my psychology.

This being said… other aspects exist. The pioneering nature of my ancestors wasn’t attracted to nature, but exploration and opportunity. I get a psychological high whenever I’m at a frontier of a unknown, I rarely smile in life, except when I’m pushing a unknown boundary… seeing a valley unfold in a unsuspecting direction, houses I’ve never seen before, paths and creeks, hills and mountains, wind pushing in ripples across large open grass fields, small shops and restaurants, new women and small children running on streets I’ve never known prior. To see new creatures, and encounter new patterns of living, increasingly distant to my own background.

I think the old and new world have people of both sides of this spectrum… people like me and those unwilling to explore. When I read in Europe they found some skeleton from the stone age, DNA test it and find living relatives very close by in that town, it disturbs me. I can’t imagine staying put.

I think the colonial stock, the voluntary lot at least, got a extra strong dose of this heritage. If it is genetic, it likely is less recessive and more dominant here in the western hemisphere than in the old world. I think homo sapiens naturally has thus thickly running through it, we are a explosively migratory species… but some more than others. People stuck in refugee camps just over a border aren’t what I’m fully talking about… that’s the lowest level of a willingness to explore… I’m talking about those who set off by foot from Nigeria or Colombia to Europe or the US. Im impressed with these long distance travels. I’m more willing to send a Mexican’t from Tijuana living in San Diego (few miles apart) than a South American living in NYC.

The wax and wane of tge season holds a special attachment to me, especially here in appalachia during the seasonal change, when earthy colors of orange and red emerge on the leaves in the valleys I hike. The air growing crisp, the creeks bubbking, feeling fristy cold, deer in large pacts leaping to and fro, raccoons pausing to watch as I walk by, tweakers running too and fro with bags full of illegal schrooms, hawks and eagles fkying high overhead, Turkeys taking off in panics upon seeing me, goobling as they go. You can fall over on the firest floir, landing in a thick bed of forest leaves, up to the knees.

Winter comes, a line leaf or two twists in the wind. Everything is frozen and gone, water peeking out through cracks in the ice and rivks under which it flows, a occasional deer runs. Sniwy white silence… when in the north, the green, or red, even purple northern lights come out at night, twisting slowly far above in a slow trance, against a starlit, purple sky. Bear prints and moose tracks litter, occasionally evidence of a wolf.

I will trade it all in however, for a orgy with playmate bunnies. They don’t typically like nature, reason why Hefner built a big ass mansion in the most expensive of suburbs, and not a cabin in a nature reserve.

The UK is full of forests. Size isn’t everything.

That’s what she said.

Not when there’s cigarettes on the beach.

I know what you mean. What about forests, do you enjoy being around them?

Long as there are no other people around.

100% understand. Because all people can have that kind of experience, do you think it contradicts the idea that trees and flowers are meant to be appreciated? If nature is to perceive forests, and behave differently around forests than elsewhere, is it problematic if it’s also acceptable that homo sapiens wish to be free of other homo sapiens?
I’ve struggled with this kind of problem, trying to resolve my desire to perceive the sun and trees with the reality of clashing with other people.

People are trees too.