Consciousness is a paradox.

On dreaming, I discover consciousness is a paradox. I remember experiencing a dream about two asian girls. It was very vivid, and it did happen. Then I am woken up by my computer which turns itself on by itself. I forget the dream…then I remember the dream again. Then I wake up again, and I completely forget the dream.

But the dream did happen, clear as day. And that is the paradox. I am totally sure the dream did happen, in vivid detail. Yet I cannot remember it. This is a paradox…something happening, yet clearly not happening. In one timezone, it happens, and the other, it did not. I believe this paradox is one of the keys of understanding consciousness.

Here are some hypothesis: [size=85]Perhaps my memory cells are conscious, and they are no longer conscious. Or, perhaps the two events are happening simultaneously. Or, perhaps there is an invisble memory which is not part of the brain, that things imprint to.
I want to understand consciousness. The fact i am trapped inside of this body is absurd. I want to understand. So badly. One day I hope for us to understand.[/size]

That’s true, the consciousness [in scans] moves around the brain using and then not using neurons.

If I may, the reason why you didn’t remember your dream, is because the consciousness when sleeping is inactive in many areas of the brain, and memory is mostly linked to the present and to the real world. When you were dreaming or semi-sleeping or what have you, during that time some memory would be engaged, as memory is a function of experience and information exchange generally. However, once you wake up, there are huge causal instincts/inputs, which drive the connection to derivative informations of the world ~ and the ‘world-set’ of memory bundles.

So yes its a bit like a switch, and as you went in and out of the dream momentarily, your conscious connective memories took a glimpse of the dreaming night-time world-space. Think of this as like one part of the computer taking a snapshot of the other, or two computers even. Either way, what happened is that your waking memory bundle, remembered only the fragment it observed, yet the sleeping memory remembered more [its bit of both], then the waking memory remembered that its night-time memory had witnessed its set of observations.

You are right in your inquiry, that are two distinct aspects. I don’t think there are two different consciousnesses though, as the duality arises from the functionality of the machine. It is as if the consciousness has two instruments or machines, rather than the consciousness itself being split asunder.

_

There is only one consciousness, fundamentally, that is certain. The question is, how are events so real if we forget them? Is there an invisible blanket of our soul that makes things real, even if we wont remember them anymore?
but anything that exists, is in our consciousness. For example, if we connect two peoples brains, there is only one consciousness, just conscious of more info. There can only be one consciousness, its almost an absolute truth.

Because you are not forgetting them while in the dream-state or otherwise asleep. What makes them real is their connection to memory, which is the fundament of the minds existence. As we all here know, we experience ‘the real world’ actually as it is presented in the minds eye, a world-space. Our connection to the world is a mental one, where the memory is performing the essential function of connecting derivative info from the world, with its memory of similar or the same things. This is what ‘contact’ with the world really is, and what makes things real to us.

Your dream experience is thus an equally real experience, but usually the brain can tell the difference between derivative memories and those of a different source. This is why dreams are focused/centered in the emotional realm [because its a real], and the visuals are there to access that and to enhance the experience.

the soul, is the body and instrument of consciousness, when it does not have e.g. an earthly body. ergo I expect it gets shaped according to its experience, at least during life.

Have you seen a video of conjoined female twins, they are joined at the head only, and had two distinct personalities and consciousnesses. Both sharing the same brain. This again is a thing of functionality.

Your science seems solid, but your focus on mechanical details seems to detract from the quality of the metaphysical phenomenon. It feels real, and I don’t know how to say it. Over focusing on the processes does’t seem to be reaching anything profound.

all I can say is, the dream feels real, and I knew it was real, and yet, now it is not real, as if it never was! It was more than just a feeling of being real, or my mind telling me that the memory cell was valid…it really was real!

I know what you mean, the science only sees the informational expressions in the world. My attempt here is to clarify what science is missing, by first noting the proportion of our experience to which it pertains.

If I take my sharp viking axe and slice into someones scull; do I see any pictures or hear any sounds from the brain? Naturally no I don’t; so what are we seeing and hearing!?

The only reasonable solution is that the ‘brain camcorder’ is itself the eye of the observer, instead of having a view screen [because we don’t have one of them inside our brains]. But this proposes a reality which is not physically present; the whole you [bit like VO]. Our connection to the world is dilated by time [the time it takes for electrical signals to reach the respective processing part of the brain], and we observe a mental projection of that ~ post processing. The dream-world was the brain camcorder being used to create a game world, which is every bit as real as the world [just not of this world existentially].

So what happens once the worlds of our minds contain one another; surely its a simple mathematical and minute slope between close observers realities. One would have to suppose that consciousness had no fluidity, to assume it cannot move and connect through small time zones, it does that all the time. What I am taking a long time to say is…

When you face a lover and feel his/her presence, then you kiss, two fluidic realities connect ~ for real! So what if there is a small time dilation, reality is in the metaphysical third [containing] sphere, so connections are ultimately fluids passing through one another and stretching between epicentres. Strangely, as messy as that sounds, it means that observer realities are real! Your lips are still connecting and two people are sharing that fluidic reality.

Your dream was literally as real as you are, and you are more real that your informational composition.

_

There’s YOU
and then there is the smaller you who walks around and ‘makes decisions’ and he often thinks he is the whole you. YOU had a dream. you compartmentalized from YOU and woke up. Sometimes you have more connection to YOU and remember that you dreamt X. Sometimes you will merge more with YOU - in the area covering the dream - and you may even remember the whole dream. You are you and Not YOU.

The law of identity does not hold for selves. It is more complicated than that.