the astral plane and the snare of New Age delusions

Beware of New Age delusions. I have run into a man whom I talked with for a while. He was very inconsistent, and fickle. He told me he could astral project out of his body, and that he really understood things. He said, I used to be like you, for two years, always searching for things. But now I see…everything, is really a triangle, mind world cause and action…a triangle…It can be found in these books, every single book in this room…says the same thing. It’s all this. And when I look outside…I see that the world, is me, that the road, is me.

Eventually I asked him to do an experiment, for science. I told him I was a bit skeptical, and that I was really interested to see if astral projection was real, and I asked him to put a playing card above his bed for him to verify the experiment for me. He told me the projection was physical, and such an experiment was absolutely possible. He seemed gung ho about it, but when he realised that he could dominate me with vague words, he became so subconsciously drunk with power that he completely lost interest in the experiment. Drenched in Nihilism, he began to tell me how things was. I was no longer the teacher, he became the teacher, I was just one of the lost. He used to be just like me, always searching, for two whole years, when finally he found what he found, which he said he could not explain to me in any possible way. I had to discover it on my own. It was part of my journey.

I began to question him, and ask what new powers he had found. He told me he had the power of consciousness. At first he agreed with me, that he had no free will, that he was just part of the journey. Later on though, he revealed to me that free-will was infact real, and that we had the power to change the world, and our destiny. So I asked him, what had he done with his life? He told me his power was used to get a friend quit ciggarrettes. I was impressed…who was the lucky friend he persuaded to quit the bad habit? He told me, it was himself. So I asked him, what power he had over people? Since his friend got him to quit cigarettes, how had his newfounded mental powers enabled him to persuade other people? Sheepishly, he told e that he had never persuaded anyone to do anything, and so I asked him how was his job? He told me he was getting more power and positivity everyday, with his greater and greater power and awareness…So I kept asking him, what has he done with his life? Who’s lives had he changed? Noone. He was purely delusional, with imaginary powers. Couldn’t even be considered real, or even a hallucinatory delusion, because there was no tangible thing that his powers had done. Kind of like a pyramid scheme, or a placebo pill, where power is just a “feeling” with no actual output or tangible happenings. All hot gas, nonsense, talk about vague-ties, things that cannot be verified, nor understood, babbles.

Needless to say, I tried to maintain contact with the scrub and he was rather rude, not bothering to ever return my messages. How typical, what a world full of delusional people. To this day I don’t think he could care less about science or doing the experiment I asked him. I also instructed him to write an essay detailing his thoughts so that I might better understand his philosophies. He could care less, he is swimming right now in a delusional bath of imaginary powers, powers which he doesn’t even claim even do anything. He even said that half of our thoughts are located in the astral plane, and that half of our thoughts are not generated by our brain…

Beware of falling into the snare of new age aggrandizement, my new-age hippie type friend believed they had the mental power to fly, and were hospitalized after falling off a three-story building head-first. If you’re going to believe something, at least be rational about it, just jump off a 5 foot wall first, and at least try to write an essay about your own metaphysical insights that you cannot seem to put in words at the moment.