What can be done to help prevent Internet trolling?

Hello everyone! I am curious about your opinions on preventing the acts of Internet trolling and have compiled all of my questions within a short survey. I appreciate and encourage additional comments and discussion at the end of the survey as well as within this thread. This, in turn will help me come up with my own decisions and contribute to a social psychology report.

Link: eSurv.org?u=Corey

Thanks for reading!

Don’t walk barefoot on broken glass if your feet can’t handle it.

Hey Kriswest!
Just wanted to say thanks for being the first person to reply to my second thread (this one) and my first thread on these forums.

To your quote might I ask what a person would be suggested to do if they are surrounded by broken glass and can’t handle stepping on broken glass? Might seem irrelevant but I say this directly relates to Internet trolling. Not everyone can help being surrounded by ‘broken grass’ or harassed.

Well, develop a thicker skin or sweep it to the side by deletion or ignore. Trolling is about getting reaction and action. It does no real harm unless you let it. Like an infant that screams for candy , you can give in, you can try to punish, you can ignore or never have given the infant candy in the first place. Since we know trollers won’t stop if given attention, ignoring and letting them burn theirselves out is a reasonable remedy.

ILP has a three pronged approach to the problem of trolling–private messaging, an ignore function and reporting to moderators. These work well; but as Lady K acknowledges, ignore is the best bet. One has to get over the knee jerk response of reacting to trolls. Without attention they will fade away or seek more fertile ground.

Some people post absolute garbage, racist crap, overbearing nonsense and don’t reply in a civil and constructive manner.

These posters don’t deserve to be treated as normal human beings and deserve some kind of abuse or harassment to wake them up from their half sleeping existence.

A philosophy website without emotion, abuse, swearing, cussing and ranting is totally dead and unreadable. I have seen some philosophy sites which have tough censoring patrols and they are as boring as hell.

That’s why ILP has a rant house.

Too much sweetness sickens.
A little bit of salt quickens.

ID. If to get on the net you had to give your details to your provider, then ultimately not being anonymous would weed out and prevent trolling to a large degree [via reports from admin]. People only troll because they can get away with it, without having the same social pressures and embarrassment of being known to be a troll.

Yea and give the unscrupulous leads on future victims of scams and other crimes. Give me trollers over true criminals. Trollers are just little kids pitching fits for attention, no big deal.

Trolls are much better people than the sneaky, deceitful and conniving arse lickers who parade as decent, moral and upstanding citizens. Its like the Victorian Era when religious zealots paraded as socially conservative citizens, but really had many double standards of behaviour.

The Importance of Being Earnest - by Oscar Wilde for example.

Damn near everyone is better than someone.

I value honesty, even if it’s honest contempt.

I revel in pulling people away from their neat little images.

Think how sad it must be to be that one at the very bottom … :confused:

Do they know they are at the bottom??

And adding to the flow of questions…

Is the person at the bottom still alive?

So what you are asking is whether we can help in the effort to get all people to conform to the proper standard, remove all dissonance. Why does that sound so very familiar.

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Yeah me too. So boring and they ban or delete posts and shit…

Also ignoring trolling or trolling them back is the best response.

I’d say it’s better to be an asshole than braindead.

Most likely, the ones at the bottom are barely someone at all.

But I’m pretty sure James doesn’t agree with the premise of people being better than others, and I’m inclined to agree.