Philosophical quotes that inspire...

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Philosophical quotes that inspire...

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:22 pm

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Khalil Gibran
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:24 pm

An untempted woman cannot boast of her chastity.

Michel de Montaigne
SAPERE AUDE!

You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your INFORMED opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.”
Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Zoot Allures » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:22 pm

How did it go, I can't remember.

A modest god would not want praise, and a vain god would not deserve it.
Zoot Allures
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Truth, like gold, is to be obtained not by its growth, but by washing away from it all that is not gold. ~
Leo Tolstoy

Truth is a great flirt.
~Franz Liszt

oh how observant Liszt was.
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Zoot Allures » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:15 am

I'm scrolling a thread at a forum where a bunch of hyper-european hardons are all sitting around the campfire bashing the middle east and then suddenly I see this:

Phoneutria wrote:Have you any idea of how much philosophy, mathematics, astronomy, medicine, economy, etc, was brought to us by the muslim world? They were dressing themselves in silk before europeans even knew better than to get off their horses to take a shit.

... and I almost fell out of my chair. You know that sound when the record player needle scratches across the record. That's what I heard. I'm still wiping off the coffee I spit all my computer screen.

It's not just that the comment was funny, but the entire context in which it was said. You literally see everybody drop their beers and stare at her in silence. Oh my god that was funny.
Zoot Allures
Philosopher

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:09 am

You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:57 pm

45215713.jpg
45215713.jpg (26.84 KiB) Viewed 7497 times
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:12 pm

friedrichnietzsche103522.jpg
friedrichnietzsche103522.jpg (52.29 KiB) Viewed 7494 times
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:28 pm

Today as always, men fall into two groups: slaves and free men. Whoever does not have two-thirds of his day for himself, is a slave, whatever he may be: a statesman, a businessman, an official, or a scholar.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche

“He who would learn to fly one day must first learn to walk and run and climb and dance; one cannot fly into flying. ”
- Friedrich Nietzsche
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:28 pm

mr reasonable wrote:This dude was a beast.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alhazen

The Ancients and prior (and not the Classicists) gave us the foundation for modern Politics and The Sciences etc., which the Classicists tailored to suit their needs later on.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Zoot Allures » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:13 pm

"I'm now making myself as scummy as I can. Why? I want to be a poet, and I'm working at turning myself into a seer. You won't understand any of this, and I'm almost incapable of explaining it to you. The idea is to reach the unknown by the derangement of all the senses. It involves enormous suffering, but one must be strong and be a born poet. It's really not my fault."- Arthur Rimbaud
Zoot Allures
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:32 am

Remember this people.. before you go feeling all inferior on our ass

image.jpg
image.jpg (181.05 KiB) Viewed 7189 times
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby GreatandWiseTrixie » Fri Sep 18, 2015 3:43 am

Zoot Allures wrote:I'm scrolling a thread at a forum where a bunch of hyper-european hardons are all sitting around the campfire bashing the middle east and then suddenly I see this:

Phoneutria wrote:Have you any idea of how much philosophy, mathematics, astronomy, medicine, economy, etc, was brought to us by the muslim world? They were dressing themselves in silk before europeans even knew better than to get off their horses to take a shit.

... and I almost fell out of my chair. You know that sound when the record player needle scratches across the record. That's what I heard. I'm still wiping off the coffee I spit all my computer screen.

It's not just that the comment was funny, but the entire context in which it was said. You literally see everybody drop their beers and stare at her in silence. Oh my god that was funny.

The middle east used to be the factory of mathematics, until some Muslim arch-bishop-type got it into his head that mathematics was the devil. Ever since, theyve become mathematically inept.
I am losing my mind to mandess.
GreatandWiseTrixie
Philosopher

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Jan 16, 2016 3:53 pm

That art thou--Sanskrit maxim.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Sat Jan 16, 2016 6:35 pm

“Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Man is a mystery. It needs to be unravelled, and if you spend your whole life unravelling it, don't say that you've wasted time. I am studying that mystery because I want to be a human being.”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

For, after all, you do grow up, you do outgrow your ideals, which turn to dust and ashes, which are shattered into fragments; and if you have no other life, you just have to build one up out of these fragments. And all the time your soul is craving and longing for something else. And in vain does the dreamer rummage about in his old dreams, raking them over as though they were a heap of cinders, looking in these cinders for some spark, however tiny, to fan it into a flame so as to warm his chilled blood by it and revive in it all that he held so dear before, all that touched his heart, that made his blood course through his veins, that drew tears from his eyes, and that so splendidly deceived him!”
― Fyodor Dostoyevsky, White Nights and Other Stories
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Artimas » Fri May 27, 2016 2:34 pm

Zoot Allures wrote:I'm scrolling a thread at a forum where a bunch of hyper-european hardons are all sitting around the campfire bashing the middle east and then suddenly I see this:

It's true too.

A "god" who deserves worship will be humble enough to reject it; A "god" who demands worship will not be worthy of it.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.

Image Image
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars

Postby Artimas » Fri May 27, 2016 2:36 pm

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:

The middle east used to be the factory of mathematics, until some Muslim arch-bishop-type got it into his head that mathematics was the devil. Ever since, theyve become mathematically inept.

Al Ghazali. He introduced coercive religion to the Arabic. They have not recovered since.

A "god" who deserves worship will be humble enough to reject it; A "god" who demands worship will not be worthy of it.

Image Image
Artimas

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:08 pm

“Humans are the devils of the earth, and animals the tormented souls." ~Schopenhauer
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Artimas » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:45 pm

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle

Image Image
Artimas

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Jun 03, 2016 6:51 pm

And therein lies the whole of man's plight. Human time does not turn in a circle; it runs ahead in a straight line. That is why man cannot be happy: happiness is the longing for repetition.”
― Milan Kundera, The Unbearable Lightness of Being

shivers
SAPERE AUDE!

Harlan Ellison

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:25 am

Warning issued to Quantum, and irrelevant posts deleted.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby surreptitious57 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:31 am

A Man Can Conquer The Whole World But His Greatest Victory Will Be Against Himself
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious57
Philosopher

Postby quantum » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:28 am

I never follow the above one
-quantum
quantum

Postby MagsJ » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:58 pm

GreatandWiseTrixie wrote:The middle east used to be the factory of mathematics, until some Muslim arch-bishop-type got it into his head that mathematics was the devil. Ever since, theyve become mathematically inept.

They should all become accountants, and put mathematics back on the Middle-Eastern map!
MagsJ
The Londonist

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind