Philosophical quotes that inspire...

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Philosophical quotes that inspire...

Postby MagsJ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:43 am

Preferring to read thought-provoking/inspiring quotes from the greats from our history books rather than reading books on the greats themselves.. I now declare this thread open.
MagsJ
The Londonist

Re: Philosophical quotes that inspire...

Postby MagsJ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:52 am

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts."
~Marcus Aurelius
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby James S Saint » Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:03 am

Interesting.

That which inspires one may very well depress another.
And that which depresses one may very well inspire another.
So accept the good and let the bad be good elsewhere.
- James S Saint.
:wink:
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby James S Saint » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:37 am

To some people, within every older woman, there is a most charming young woman
..hiding right behind those eyes
..just behind that attitude
..shortly before those experiences
..not seriously believing those thoughts,
thinking that she is hopelessly hidden from view.

And with all of God's creations in mind, there has never been anything more cherishable than that charming young girl, still there, still doubting yet still subtly hoping, still as real as the day she was born.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
James S Saint
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:27 pm

If knowing is to be possible as a way of determining the nature of the present-at-hand by observing it, then there must first be a deficiency in our having-to-do with the world concernfully. When concern holds back from any kind of producing, manipulating and the like, it puts itself into what is now the sole remaining mode of Being-in, the mode of just tarrying-alongside. In this kind of 'dwelling' as a holding-oneself-back from any manipulation or utilization, the perception of the present-at-hand is consummated.”
― Martin Heidegger
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:11 am

“Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one.”
~Marcus Aurelius
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Tue May 07, 2013 1:09 pm

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
-Albert Einstein
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Tue May 07, 2013 3:01 pm

"Sincerity has to do with the connexion between our words and thoughts, and not between our beliefs and actions."
~Hazlitt
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Tue May 07, 2013 3:01 pm

“The happiness of those who want to be popular depends on others; the happiness of those who seek pleasure fluctuates with moods outside their control; but the happiness of the wise grows out of their own free acts.”
~Marcus Aurelius
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Sun May 12, 2013 10:36 pm

I do this one often, but others don't take kindly to it none.. 8-[
“Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness.”
~Ludwig Wittgenstein
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Wed May 15, 2013 11:37 am

Very apt. for all those discussions on truth...
“I don't think there is any truth. There are only points of view. ”
~Allen Ginsberg
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby MagsJ » Thu May 16, 2013 6:37 am

I've been saying this since I was a younger, but replace soul with ego for my version...
“I will permit no man to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him.”
~Booker T. Washington
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:00 pm

Write down the thoughts of the moment. Those that come unsought for are commonly the most valuable.
Francis Bacon
shivers...
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby von Rivers » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:46 pm

"My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I am ferocious. I want his heart. I want to eat his children."

----Mike Tyson, before fighting Evander Hollifield, I think
von Rivers
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:12 pm

von Rivers wrote:"My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I am ferocious. I want his heart. I want to eat his children."

so that's the way you flow? :P
Muhammed Ali to me is a true hero.
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:15 pm

If my mind can conceive it, and my heart can believe it - then I can achieve it.”
― Muhammad Ali
The Soul of a Butterfly: Reflections on Life's Journey
:happy-cheerleadersmileygirl:
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby MagsJ » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:14 pm

Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth. - Marcus Aurelius
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby peterpan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:43 pm

He who knows, does not speak. He who speaks, does not know

Lao Tsu
"I didn't get where I am today by thinking" - C.J.
peterpan

Postby peterpan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:48 pm

When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.

Confucius
"I didn't get where I am today by thinking" - C.J.
peterpan

Postby The Idiot » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:12 pm

"Forgive them Father, for they know not what they do" - Jesus of Nazareth
The Idiot

Postby FreeSpirit99 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:49 am

"What is good? Everything that heightens the feeling of power in man...the will to power, power itself. What is bad? Everything that is born of sickness."
-Nietzsche
"'I...am a wanderer and a mountain climber' Zarathustra said to his heart. 'What returns, what finally comes home to me is my own self. Alas, I have begun my loneliest walk, but whomever is of my kind cannot escape the hour...the hour which says to him, only now are you going your way to greatness.'"
-"Thus Spake Zarathustra"

"It was during the years of my lowest vitality that I ceased to be a pessimist. The instinct of self-restoration forbade me a philosophy of poverty and discouragement. As it were, that is how those years appear to me now. I soon discovered life anew…including myself. I turned my will to health, to life, into a philosophy ... into the will to power.”
-Nietzsche

"If you want a safe compass to guide you through life, and to banish all doubt as to the right way of looking at it, you cannot do better than accustom yourself to regard this world as a penitentiary, a sort of penal colony."
-Schopenhauer
FreeSpirit99

Postby FreeSpirit99 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:51 am

"Don't fear god,
Don't worry about death;
What is good is easy to get, and
What is terrible is easy to endure."

-Epicurus
"'I...am a wanderer and a mountain climber' Zarathustra said to his heart. 'What returns, what finally comes home to me is my own self. Alas, I have begun my loneliest walk, but whomever is of my kind cannot escape the hour...the hour which says to him, only now are you going your way to greatness.'"

"It was during the years of my lowest vitality that I ceased to be a pessimist. The instinct of self-restoration forbade me a philosophy of poverty and discouragement. As it were, that is how those years appear to me now. I soon discovered life anew…including myself. I turned my will to health, to life, into a philosophy ... into the will to power.”
-Nietzsche

"If you want a safe compass to guide you through life, and to banish all doubt as to the right way of looking at it, you cannot do better than accustom yourself to regard this world as a penitentiary, a sort of penal colony."
-Schopenhauer
FreeSpirit99

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:43 pm

MagsJ wrote:I do this one often, but others don't take kindly to it none.. 8-[
“Never stay up on the barren heights of cleverness, but come down into the green valleys of silliness.”
~Ludwig Wittgenstein

:lol: That's actually quite profound when you think of it. I like that one.
SAPERE AUDE!

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby turtle » Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:12 pm

von Rivers wrote:"My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I am ferocious. I want his heart. I want to eat his children."

riv-----where the hell are you coming from
turtle
ILP Legend

Postby FreeSpirit99 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:12 pm

"On this perfect day, when everything is ripening and not only the grape turns brown, the eye of the sun just fell upon my life: I looked back, I looked forward, and never saw so many and such good things at once. It was not for nothing that I buried my forty-fourth year today; I had the right to bury it; whatever was life in it has been saved, is immortal. The first book of the Revaluation of All Values, the Songs of Zarathustra, the Twilight of the Idols, my attempt to philosophize with a hammer—all presents of this year, indeed of its last quarter! How could I fail to be grateful to my whole life?—and so I tell my life to myself."

-Nietzsche

-Nietzsche

-Schopenhauer
FreeSpirit99

Next

Return to Psychology and Mind