Philosophical quotes that inspire...

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Philosophical quotes that inspire...

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:50 pm

WilliamL wrote:"If we are not a little bit uncomfortable everyday,we are not growing. All the good stuff is outside our comfort zone"-Jack Canfield

This quote really inspired me.Only through experience of trial and suffering can the soul be strengthened, ambition inspired, and success achieved.Hard work is the key to success. A happy childhood isn’t always the best preparation for a successful and enjoyable adult life.

Let us not throw the baby out with the bathwater, Jack Canfield.
Some of that good stuff is still within our comfort zone.

But I realize what he meant.
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Arminius » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Peter Sloterdijk wrote:Die moderne Welt ... wird sich als eine Zeit erweisen, in der die Wünsche durch ihr Wahrwerden das Fürchten lehren.

My translation: "The modern world ... will turn out to be a time in which the wishes teach fear when they come true."
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:59 pm

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe wrote:Am Ende hängen wir doch ab, von Kreaturen, die wir machten.

My translation:
"At the end, nevertheless, we depend, on the creatures which we made."
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arminius » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:15 am

Immanuel Kant wrote:Der Mensch ist ein Tier, was eine Erziehung nötig hat.

My translation: "The human is an animal that needs an education."
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Nov 29, 2017 4:01 pm

We are too much accustomed to attribute to a single cause that which is the product of several, and the majority of our controversies come from that.

Marcus Aurelius

Aye!!!!
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind