Prophetic dreams

The vast majority of dreams are probably not prophetic, fortunately.

If it’s consistent, they’re prophetic, if it’s inconsistent, it’s coincidence.

In order for dreams to have predictive power, they’d have to be right a significant portion of the time (what qualifies as significance can be more than a little arbitrary, but let’s say something like 51%+ of the time), not merely one out of every thousands dreams you’ve had. How many times out of a year does one of your dreams end up coming to pass the very next day, or a few days later, when you couldn’t have possibly known these future events would take place?

Keep in mind even a broken clock is right twice a day. I suppose it’s possible dreams occasionally have actual mystical, predictive power, which is silly in my mind (contrary to the laws of physics as we know them, but perhaps not impossible), they’d still be unreliable as we’d have no means of knowing which ones are prophetic and which ones aren’t, and of crouse we’d still have no means of knowing whether it was coincidence or not, unless they’re frequently prophetic How often do we dream about things in our lives that never come true, I’ve had the same dream of falling off a balcony thousands of times and I’m still here.

Also I agree with what Kris said, sometimes you can be subconsciously influenced by things you hear from other people or from the news, or even by the weather itself. A friend of mine recently told me she had a dream it would snow a day before it snowed, and it hardly snows where I’m from. I said to her you’ve been on this earth for a long time, your body knows subconsciously when it’s going to snow even, if your conscious mind doesn’t, all the signs were there, it was getting colder, darker, windier, you must have sensed all that unbeknownst to your conscious mind.

Of course there’s no way you could have sensed a tornado according to the laws of physics as we know them… but on second thought, there is some evidence to suggest some dogs and cats might be capable of sensing when an earthquake will occur, and maybe because you’re blind, other senses of yours are enhanced, and may be more in tune with the world going on around you at a subconscious, vibrational level.

I’d like you to somehow apply the same weatherly instincts to my dream above, if you can. . . explain it away.

Let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. First of all the dream was wrong about some major details, you weren’t a prisoner in a chain gang attempting to use the gun you found to escape, 2nd the prisoners that happened to show up didn’t find the gun, and attempt to use it to escape. The dream had some interesting things in common with the event that transpired 3 months later. Still, we’re talking about 3 months later, not 3 days later or 3 hours later, given enough time, many dreams will come true, if I have a dream of being caught in a severe earthquake, running outside my home because I don’t want things to fall on top of my head, there’s a descent chance something like that might come to pass, and I could always reinterpret events later to fit the dream (hmmm, well, I didn’t get caught in an earthquake, but 1 year later when I was in construction, a roof was caving in and pieces of it were falling on our heads and we had to run outside, hey… just like the dream, except no, it wasn’t quite like the dream, there were some key departures).

All that being said, you’re probably feeling disappointed now, and no doubt you think I’m being unfair, and that I’m guilty of sticking to my mechanistic, scientific preconception of the world. I will admit, when I synthesize the all the data, there is something peculiar about the synchroncity of the dream and the event. I think it’s important to look at all the things your dream didn’t do, and not just with what it did. All that being said, still, encountering a chain gang is a rare thing, let alone working alongside them and finding a gun, what are the odds something like that would happen to you only a few months later (difficult to calculate logically and precisely)?

It’s possible to add some kind of meaning or purpose behind it all, perhaps you were placed there by mysterious, ‘benevolent’ entities or forces to find the gun, because if you didn’t, one of the prisoners would have used it in an attempt to escape and a lot of people would have died as a result, but all this presupposes the universe gives a shit about us. Do prophetic dreams ever encourage disaster, does the knowledge they supposedly impart ever lead us into danger rather than keep us from it?

Our minds have quite the imagination when we’re dreaming, and they play dozens of dreams in our minds every night, many of them never come true, a few are bound to partly come true, and an even fewer are bound to come fully true, or some of them come true all the time because they’re just fragments of our everyday lives chopped up into little bits and reassembled haphazardly and nonesensically. I’d ask you to keep in mind all the times your dreams don’t predict the near future, and not just the one or two dreams that did. Unless you did a study on your dreams, to see how often they come true, and found a percentage of them occurred in the physical realm, more than the laws of chance suggest they should (an exceedingly complicated and difficult thing to calculate indeed), then you can’t be certain there’s anything magickal going on here. On an intuitive level, I’ll admit your experience is quite peculiar, but it’s not overwhelming for me. Like I said, even a broken clock is right thrice a day out of thousands when you add the 3rd hand.

I think that’s a fair assessment. It felt extra odd for me, but I can’t convey how odd to another person. The whole life is a dream saying took on a proper meaning for me. Like a hyper dream.

Anyway, since I dont know why it happened, I accept how you rationalize it to some degree.

I used to post certain dreams of mine on a Dutch Jungian website: kaleidoscope-forum.org/

The site has since closed down, but was invited by a few members to rejoin after a few of my dreams started to come true in major details, such as the arab spring. Most of my dreams don’t determine diddly squat, but a handful have. I had a few repetitive dreams, invovling the same mountaintop temple (of unknown denomination) that I would try really hard to get up to, in the second dream (I think it was number two) part of the path took place in the hills above San Francisco Bridge on the San Mateo side. I hadn’t been to San Francisco since I was ten, and only at night. I involved me climbing up a sliding hillside after the steps ended, at a certain altitude where I could look down and see the bridge, but still climbing up before reaching the top and moving through a weird industrial area where white cloth were being run through red liquid in spinning stainless steel pools, round and around… and I thought I had something to do with making it, but didn’t recognize the design and purpose… before pressing higher to the temple where I was late in arriving, everyone else had already left.

I physically moved to San Francisco later on, as in my dreams, it was the only sure point of reference I had. I dumped my stuff on a hillside between the golden gate bridge’s highway and a industrial area near Crissy Field above the Army’s old Japanese Lnaguage School, and tried tp walk to it. After discovering the sea lever route wasn’t any good (it was, just didn’t know how to get there using it then) I made it to the bridge, walked across it, and started looking. What I saw was at the very level my dream occured at, a caterpillar excavator was flattening out the very area the dream took place in- previously to that damn near very moment, the very location my dream took place in was underground. One of the forum’s members said it looked like Wine Country- the machines used for processing the wine, but I’ve never seen them, because I’ve never been that interested in them. Wine country for me is a place where cheese is made, and never bothered to learn the details of liqour manufacturing, as I don’t drink.

So I made damn certain I would never head that way. In reality, I wasn’t too late, but too damn early. It’s been pointed out before by friends I am really stubborn in rejecting causality if I can see it comming and dislike it. Of the three temple dreams, it was my least favorite in showing up to a empty place.

My oldest dream I remember of this type is one occuring in Alaska, I’m on the western coast, moving up on Russians landing there in the winter. I have on a wooden visor, and am wearing the bare minumum in gear, and throw a explosive spear from a altalt at a vehicle, and immediately before it hits start shooting at guys. Later on when I was in the army- years later, I was sent to Alaska… and was a little concerned about this dream for obvious reasons. It never happened, but was a few months ago offered a job watching a cabin in western Alaska, keeping it’s generators going in the winter. The superstition of this dream caused me to decline it. That, plus the naked cabin fevor that would enevitably overcome me.

The details of the Arab Spring dream are deeply insightful, and paralelled the Ivory Coast-Libyian debacle exactingly… except in key details. It’s the reason why I’ve always payed very close attention to the Air Mountains. In the fall- roughly the time the website I linked to shut down, it was at a fever pitch for me, and pissed off alot of analysts and enthusiasts there. That spring, it struck with a vengence. Like I said, the site is back up on another forum, and I’m invited back, but at this point, I feel weirded out by the accurateness of the dreams, and even more- I feel certain detailes of it not fulfilled, one of which involved me, will come through. In fairness, I am a bit knowledgeable of the whole area NOW, but not when I had this dream. It was egotistically shattering in a sense that it would all be my fault (it’s how the dream came out) but now the main wars have happened in the Ivory Coast and Libya… it’s not nearly as incriminating as it was.

Another dream I had was back in early 2009 I think it was. It was me hiking down through Cincinnati, into Kentucky and Tennessee… and then suddenly I was in the Gulf of Mexico. I was walking along the shore, and knew it was enevitable… the time I was running away from had finally arrived, and I would live up to it to the best of my abilities. I got into a ship, and went out into the ocean, and headed out. I con’t remeber the details anymore- had it written on that site- I think someone fell in, and I dived in, and couldn’t reach her… and started sinking down into a deep darkness. It wasn’t like water, and I felt I was dying… and then I was very still in thick darkness. I knew in my last memory I wouldn’t be remembered going there, everyone wouldn’t begin to guess where i died.

Well… that BP oil spill happened later on, and decided against my impulse to go there and help with the cleanup. I still can’t shake it… the feeling of assurity i have that that place, exactly like that- is how I am going to die. It’s pressed in me with a surity I can’t break no matter the amount of reasoning I give against it. It makes it easier to take unconsciousable risks now… the sort of stuff the average person wouldn’t undertake- stuff I usually wouldn’t. I might get injured or introuble, or trapped in some nasty place where I will rot, but it never quite feels like what I will meet my end there. There is a finality I am approaching, and I don’t kow the date of it, but I know the place… and know I will hit it head on, pushing myself the best I ever would despite the consequences. In the meantime, I can strive to do the things I’m too afraid to do. Outside of heading to East Africa or Climbing that hillside in San Mateo, fuck that shit. but everything else… yeah.

A few other dreams, such as descending backwards on a spaceship in low orbit back into re-entry, I was able to find similar structured dreams in a few other guys… the Brit ‘Robuccus’ had a few similarly structured dreams… to the point the Dutch and the Santa Monican dream Therapists both seemed a bit odded out by, as neither had encountered out dream structures in the past, despite the great similarity we and a few other guys had in overall themes and details.

Anyway, my overall dreaming capacity has dramatically warped in the last few months. In the period above, they could still be interpreted by classical means, but now… I think my dreaming state is post-lucid- it’s a bit more aware that it is a dream, and has awareness it’s lacking in certain functions, and just seeks to complete what I was working on during the day- I can get stranded, consciously none stop, on the same intellectual problems, sleeping or waking- for days now at a time, and it causes headaches. I’ve had a total of six normal dreams in the last two months, and only two of them was uninstigated. The last four have occured the last four nights because it occured to me I wasn’t have any sex dreams, just mind numbing engineering solution to problems dreams… so I’ve gotten more sex dreams now. Still no twins. I want lustful twins deeply desiring to do unchristian things to me, and I want it to be prophetic. If I get the twins, in dreaming then in real life, I might be willing to finish that climb at the Golden Gate. I’m willing to bargain with the fates here, just let me know- signal me or something. Until then, I’m on strike.

Right, well, you may believe whatever you wish, you don’t necessarily have to wait around for the likes of me or anyone to validate your experience. If the surreal, ‘inexplicable’ feelings accompaning the event are what pushies it over the edge for you from fiction to fact, then by all means. I’m not going to lie to you and say I’m not in the least bit swayed, but I don’t think there’s anything objectively conclusive/definitive going on here, you’d need a lot more than that to be certain.

Ok I am well versed in the meanings of dreams, in that I think mostly they are just running over the things in life that are bothering us or are just escapism to avoid it. I am also well versed in people who can not analyse them well.

Keep a dream diary, use it to examine which dreams are prophetic and those that are not. Use them to think about what you are dreaming about in context with when you are thinking about it. No one gives a damn for anecdote, you have one dream in 1000 that by the laws of averages you remembered and actually happened whoop de do. I think dreams are important to us, I think the ideas and feelings behind them make a difference to us. I am just not sure that everyone is seeing seven fat cows and seven thin cows every day though.

Hi Nano bug! I don’t mean to disqualify the above interpretation at all, and it may be perfectly reasonable to assume, that it is a valid picture of what is going on in the dream. However, the flow of consciousness, whether in a waking state, or in a dream state offer clues to more then one interpretation. I say this, because, it is an accepted fact, that dreams are not static entities, they are neither linear, nor a patchwork of pictures to be assembled, nor literally interpreted. I say this, because of what is known of the process of dreaming, it’s rhythmic, and it can produce deeper or shallower effects. A deep sleep may produce different kinds of visual or verbal clues then those that occur frequently during periods of light sleep, especially towards the time of awaking.

Your dream peripherally, seems to imply the type of literal interpretation as can be made with an often seen foreshadowing of things to actually happen, as it indeed seemed to do in your waking hours. However, it’s a good observation, that things, and future happenings can be implied by actual circumstances, if we wait long enough for some kind of analogical situation to arise in real life.

But the dream-consciousness, if it can be called that may have a meaning in-it-self, apart from trying to connect it to some kind of future happening. In particular, the chain-gang, the weapons, the feeling of trying to getting away have meanings that may point to feelings or thoughts, or actual events that cause effects of constraint from which there may be a hidden desire to escape. There may be fear there too, and the gun may represent protection against agents who would try to prevent the escape. I feel your dream may have more to do with past events, which has bearing on your future state of mind, and carried to the future, it seems to connect the dots as far as causation is concerned. If a dream content has something in it that creates the expectation of something to happen or to resolve, it is quite possible that it will set up a situation, where that kind of thing will happen.

Even I used to have those kinds of dreams when i was blind. But it stopped when i got vision 2 years back.

Because of illness, I had to drop out of college for a year. At home I had a dream in which I saw three African Americans walking on one of the college paths. This was in the mid 1960’s. A few days after my dream, my college ex-roomate wrote to tell me that the college had admitted three African Americans. I guess the prophetic dream could be dismissed because I was generally aware of the news about integration. But the dream got the exact number of students correct. And there was no guarantee that a college in the deep South would integrate at that time.

What college irrelius? Alabama by chance? They’re going to beat Notre same starting in about 8 hours.

Do you see things in your dreams, Maia?

No I don’t have any vision in my dreams.

Get yourself a dreamcatcher Smears… they work (albeit by mind over matter) - I chose mine by colour and style so that it was personal to me.

We can definitely pre-empt events Maia, as I’ve sensed a few myself… amongst other weird happenings :neutral_face:

In physics i think it’s Einstein’s Special Relativity Theory that describes that time can go backwards and forwards, ergo timetravel is theoretically possible.

So what would happen in the future could theoretically be teleported back in some form or another.

Before the wild western began, indians dreams of weird iron horses (trains) and spiderwebs (telegrap poles) across the plains.

Once i told a terrible prophecy to a CEO.

Within the same year his 2 major projects would fail as forseen, then 4 years after he was degraded as he was just a bit too creative with the shares and made an illegal transfer. 9 years later he would throw away about 500 mill $ and end up with a debt of 30 mill $.

Else i’ve had many prophetic dreams, one was seeing tall apartment buildings arranged in a circle, a week later i would see something similar in a music vid.
youtube.com/watch?v=5jMhqdHNWxA 1:34

Irrelus: in the '80's I had a dream of African huts in some kind of desert environment. When the scene was reversed, they seemd to look like a-bombs exploding.  I had a feeling that there was cross relevance or acquaintance with these visuals.

I hope this is not a prophetic dream, and in any case, the future can be fixed by going back (metaphorically) and making adjustments. I am very much a believer in the power of prophecy, conscious, or, otherwise.

In the Summer of 2007 I kept telling an online pal of mine that I sensed an impending doom that would affect us globally… a few months later at the end of that year the recession hit and people started killing themselves/their whole family over it :open_mouth: didn’t think it would go on for this long though, or affect my career so directly in the process :cry:

Nearly 4 years later, I had forgotten about this dream/post

I have since had 2 prophetic dreams

In the first dream about a year ago, I had a sex dream - and later that day I got laid (I haven’t had an abundance of sex dreams nor sex).

In the second dream a few days ago, I awoke after a dream to worrying about waking up the dog. My mind was going back and forth with the question “Do I want to wake up the dog?” I heard a voice that said (paraphrasing) “I just want to” (which I believe to be God)… and a few seconds later the dog woke up, stretched, repositioned himself on the bed and went back to sleep.

How do you know it isn’t just a bit of gas or indigestion? I am suggesting that without some kind of reflection on what exactly you mean, there’s not a lot of meaning in your question.