"Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:01 pm

What I was referring to was avoiding demons. You should not avoid demons and let them enter your body.

Second, you should not avoid disturbing thoughts, you should let disturbing thoughts enter you and consume you.

Medicine may affect demons, but they have zero effect on memories. Medicine does not erase memory.
Hey, I've just arrived in the rant house where an armchair psychiatrist claims to know not only what's wrong with me, but how to fix it!

If it took me months to arrive at this conclusion, it is understandable why someone else may have doubts as well. You have low testosterone, and it is so obvious I cannot believe I didn't see it sooner and it took me this long to figure out. If you are a scientist, I recommend testing out my hypothesis by trying supplements for a month and see your reaction.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:09 pm

Trixie Z wrote:What I was referring to was avoiding demons. You should not avoid demons and let them enter your body.

Second, you should not avoid disturbing thoughts, you should let disturbing thoughts enter you and consume you.

Medicine may affect demons, but they have zero effect on memories. Medicine does not erase memory.
Hey, I've just arrived in the rant house where an armchair psychiatrist claims to know not only what's wrong with me, but how to fix it!

If it took me months to arrive at this conclusion, it is understandable why someone else may have doubts as well. You have low testosterone, and it is so obvious I cannot believe I didn't see it sooner and it took me this long to figure out. If you are a scientist, I recommend testing out my hypothesis by trying supplements for a month and see your reaction.

I'd prefer that you stay as far way from my threads as is possible. You have nothing to offer in the way of genuine help for the mentally ill. You are too immersed in your own agendas to offer any real help.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:14 pm

The only agenda I got is the DNA machine. The rest is up to you, and your meaning making.
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ultimate Philosophy 1001 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:15 pm

My advice is, if your advice is so good, then why are you still depressed? Shouldnt the cure you got have fixed you? Right?
trogdor
User avatar
Ultimate Philosophy 1001
BANNED
 
Posts: 8312
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:57 pm

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Trixie Z wrote:My advice is, if your advice is so good, then why are you still depressed? Shouldnt the cure you got have fixed you? Right?

The APA apparently has not gotten wind of your cures. I'm not always depressed, just more often so around fixit prophets. My major depression is mainly due to genetic inheritance mixed with environmental influences. So far science is unable to fix the responsible genes and is unable to do anything about our insane society. So, my chemistry is out of whack. I already knew that. If you are selling some snake oil potion that remedies my situation, I'll buy a bottle.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby CelineK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:00 am

.. most mental illnesses are induced by social frameworks designed to be this way.

its a 4H documentary which will really be worth your time, produced by BBC. The marketing of madness? You decide.

THE CENTURY OF THE SELF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ3RzGoQC4s
The Laws Of Light, Emotions And Sexuality. http://www.celinek.net The time has come in the history of man's journey from his material jungle to his spiritual mountain top when it is imperative that he must live more and more in the cosmic Light universe of knowing, and less in the electric wave universe of sensing -- Walter Russell.
=============================================================
A Money-Free Society Is Now Reality! The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth and not to fall under the will or legislative authority of man but only have the law of nature (immutable principles) for his rule. Samuel Adams. -- http://www.earthcustodians.net
User avatar
CelineK
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:37 pm
Location: No Man's Land In A Money-Free Wold

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:27 pm

CelineK,
You ask us to watch a four hour video?
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:58 pm

My testosterone levels are normal. The problem with the libido comes from two of the several drugs I have to take. One is a statin used to reduce the bad type of cholesterol. The other is an antidepressant. The statin reduces my chances of having a heart attack or a stroke. The antidepressant prevents my having panic or anxiety attacks. As I said to my psychiatrist, I have to weigh the benefits of these drugs against their side effects. It's a trade off I would not wish on anybody. Trixie is wrong about the estrogen/testosterone effects on one's psyche. My brain is short on serotonin and may exhibit an imbalance of dopamine. With the drugs I'm not depressed most of the time.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby CelineK » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:38 am

Ierrellus wrote:CelineK,
You ask us to watch a four hour video?


I can guarantee you that if you still find it compelling enough after 30mins, you will watch the whole thing. dont forget the popcorn though

I watched it 3 times already
The Laws Of Light, Emotions And Sexuality. http://www.celinek.net The time has come in the history of man's journey from his material jungle to his spiritual mountain top when it is imperative that he must live more and more in the cosmic Light universe of knowing, and less in the electric wave universe of sensing -- Walter Russell.
=============================================================
A Money-Free Society Is Now Reality! The natural liberty of man is to be free from any superior power on earth and not to fall under the will or legislative authority of man but only have the law of nature (immutable principles) for his rule. Samuel Adams. -- http://www.earthcustodians.net
User avatar
CelineK
 
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:37 pm
Location: No Man's Land In A Money-Free Wold

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Dec 19, 2015 4:12 pm

CelineK wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:CelineK,
You ask us to watch a four hour video?


I can guarantee you that if you still find it compelling enough after 30mins, you will watch the whole thing. dont forget the popcorn though

I watched it 3 times already

I watched the video and would recommend it. It is an exploration into the ability to manipulate humans by using their base desires to perpetuate politics and consumerism. The 20th century left us with a perplexing problem--is the core of human being animalistic or angelic? The video shows both aspects and how they can be used by advertisers and politicians. The manipulation appears more important than finding what the core of humanity actually is. I''d say that humanity, reduced to its core beyond layers of social masks, can be both demonic and angelic. As to who deserves what in society, the video tends to state that selfishness takes precedence over charity.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:09 pm

Unfortunately this thread has spawned threads in which individuals are psychoanalyzed. That was never the intention of this thread. This thread is for the help in understanding that we can give to each other. Under the umbrella of we're all in this together, help and advice are greatly appreciated. No one is singled out as a case study!
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Aussenseite » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Ierrellus wrote:Unfortunately this thread has spawned threads in which individuals are psychoanalyzed. That was never the intention of this thread. This thread is for the help in understanding that we can give to each other. Under the umbrella of we're all in this together, help and advice are greatly appreciated. No one is singled out as a case study!

Unfortunately Ierrellus, there is an pervasive problem with opening up this can of worms in a place where everyone can hide behind their personae and do not have to look at themselves at all. They tend to take aim and shoot at those things that they are insecure with in themselves. The things they fear and the things which the world has taught them are less than perfect. They think they are being altruistic offering you "cures" for your flaws by picking you apart for the vultures and then letting them feed.

Just ignore the people who speak ill of you and try to over-analyze or judge your words. You know who you are, and shouldn't have to defend yourself against debasing attacks by people who are themselves flawed and in addition are unwilling to expose their own weaknesses. Or worse still, display all of their weaknesses as a victim card against all enemies foreign and domestic because their are a vast gaping hole of their own shame, and then they hide behind it or claim to "understand" you. No one understands you, they can only really get to know the most of what you want to share and some will appreciate that and some will attack it out of their own ego and insecurities. I just ignore people who attack who I am on a forum because I know that they only see the sliver of my life that I dare to display and nothing more. You can also take that power from them and refuse to give it away.
“When the logician has resolved each demonstration into a host of elementary operations, all of them correct, he will not yet be in possession of the whole reality; that indefinable something that constitutes the unity of the demonstration will still escape him completely. What good is it to admire the masons work in the edifices erected by great architects, if we cannot understand the general plan of the master? Now pure logic cannot give us this view of the whole; it is to intuition we must look for it.”
~Henri Poincaré 'Science and Method'
User avatar
Aussenseite
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby James S Saint » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:54 pm

CelineK wrote:.. most mental illnesses are induced by social frameworks designed to be this way.

..exactly.
Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony :)
Else
From THIS age of sleep, Homo-sapien shall never awake.

The Wise gather together to help one another in EVERY aspect of living.

You are always more insecure than you think, just not by what you think.
The only absolute certainty is formed by the absolute lack of alternatives.
It is not merely "do what works", but "to accomplish what purpose in what time frame at what cost".
As long as the authority is secretive, the population will be subjugated.

Amid the lack of certainty, put faith in the wiser to believe.
Devil's Motto: Make it look good, safe, innocent, and wise.. until it is too late to choose otherwise.

The Real God ≡ The reason/cause for the Universe being what it is = "The situation cannot be what it is and also remain as it is".
.
James S Saint
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 25976
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 pm

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Aussenseite » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:31 pm

James S Saint wrote:
CelineK wrote:.. most mental illnesses are induced by social frameworks designed to be this way.

..exactly.

This is also very true. Misinformation, malignant paternalism and social engineering has single-handedly funded big pharma for years on the subject of mental illness.
“When the logician has resolved each demonstration into a host of elementary operations, all of them correct, he will not yet be in possession of the whole reality; that indefinable something that constitutes the unity of the demonstration will still escape him completely. What good is it to admire the masons work in the edifices erected by great architects, if we cannot understand the general plan of the master? Now pure logic cannot give us this view of the whole; it is to intuition we must look for it.”
~Henri Poincaré 'Science and Method'
User avatar
Aussenseite
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby MagsJ » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:29 pm

I also think that now the food industry are in on it, by now tainting the very foods we eat with downers and poisons.. or is that the effects of growth hormones and pesticides on our food?
Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist
 
Posts: 17483
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Aussenseite » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:19 pm

MagsJ wrote:I also think that now the food industry are in on it, by now tainting the very foods we eat with downers and poisons.. or is that the effects of growth hormones and pesticides on our food?

Well, it's also all the pharmaceuticals that end up in our very drinking water and food supply for sure. And the fact that we do not understand the true science of what elements and nutrients the body needs to work at it's optimum capacity as well.

What we don't know, is killing us either spiritually or physically and the best thing we can do is to do research and experiment with our own bodies to find what brings about a happy state for us all around. You cannot just listen to what doctors and books tell you, apply the scientific method to yourself with all things and you really will find better results.
“When the logician has resolved each demonstration into a host of elementary operations, all of them correct, he will not yet be in possession of the whole reality; that indefinable something that constitutes the unity of the demonstration will still escape him completely. What good is it to admire the masons work in the edifices erected by great architects, if we cannot understand the general plan of the master? Now pure logic cannot give us this view of the whole; it is to intuition we must look for it.”
~Henri Poincaré 'Science and Method'
User avatar
Aussenseite
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:04 pm

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:00 pm

Happy holidays to all.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:03 pm

A course in health and nutrition should be taught in high schools.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Lev Muishkin » Sat Dec 26, 2015 1:29 am

Ierrellus wrote:A course in health and nutrition should be taught in high schools.


Sadly nutrition among kids is so poor that many are incapable of understanding much of what they are taught. Low achievement is inextricably linked to poor diet.
This has been a growing problem which has gone hand in hand with a growth of inequality over the last 40 years.

It would be better that kids were given a mid-morning milk based vitamin and mineral drink to supplement the pizza, soda and burger diet that is the bane of so many fat underprivileged children.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
User avatar
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 am

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:49 pm

Lev Muishkin wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:A course in health and nutrition should be taught in high schools.


Sadly nutrition among kids is so poor that many are incapable of understanding much of what they are taught. Low achievement is inextricably linked to poor diet.
This has been a growing problem which has gone hand in hand with a growth of inequality over the last 40 years.

It would be better that kids were given a mid-morning milk based vitamin and mineral drink to supplement the pizza, soda and burger diet that is the bane of so many fat underprivileged children.

I agree. Ask any kid nowadays what the five food groups are and they will answer pizza, burgers, breaded fish, breaded chicken and cola.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Lev Muishkin » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
Lev Muishkin wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:A course in health and nutrition should be taught in high schools.


Sadly nutrition among kids is so poor that many are incapable of understanding much of what they are taught. Low achievement is inextricably linked to poor diet.
This has been a growing problem which has gone hand in hand with a growth of inequality over the last 40 years.

It would be better that kids were given a mid-morning milk based vitamin and mineral drink to supplement the pizza, soda and burger diet that is the bane of so many fat underprivileged children.

I agree. Ask any kid nowadays what the five food groups are and they will answer pizza, burgers, breaded fish, breaded chicken and cola.



I wonder how many would know the difference between a parsnip, a turnip and a radish?
Joking aside this has serous implications for cerebral development.

"Science is entirely Faith Based.... Obama is Muslim....Evil is the opposition to life (e-v-i-l <=> l-i-v-e ... and not by accident). Without evil there could be no life.", James S. Saint.
"The Holocaust was the fault of the Jews; The Holocaust was not genocide", Kriswest
"A Tortoise is a Turtle", Wizard
" Hitler didn't create the Nazis. In reality, the Judists did ... for a purpose of their own. Hitler was merely one they chose to head it up after they discovered the Judist betrayal in WW1, their "Judas Iscariot";James S Saint.
These just keep getting funnier.
User avatar
Lev Muishkin
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4037
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:58 am

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby anand_droog » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:15 pm

CelineK wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:CelineK,
You ask us to watch a four hour video?


I can guarantee you that if you still find it compelling enough after 30mins, you will watch the whole thing. dont forget the popcorn though

I watched it 3 times already


Ah, Adam Curtis! That's the man! The best documentarian of our era!
User avatar
anand_droog
 
Posts: 256
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:52 pm

Lev, please tell us the distinctions among parsnips, turnips and radishes and how these distinctions could benefit our mental health.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ecclesiastes » Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:47 am

Ierrellus wrote:Lev, please tell us the distinctions among parsnips, turnips and radishes and how these distinctions could benefit our mental health.


Because then you wouldn't come across as an urban chav, an embarrassment, a social class Muishkin despises, because it reminds him of where he came from. The middle classes wouldn't look down on you.

He's a left wing snob, fueled by his own self-loathing.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize"
- Voltaire

"A liberal is a man who will give away everything he doesn't own."
-Frank Dane

"I regard the Klan, the Anglo-Saxon clubs and White American societies, as far as the Negro is concerned, as better friends of the race than all other groups of hypocritical whites put together."
- Marcus Garvey

http://knowthyself.forumotion.net/forum.htm
User avatar
Ecclesiastes
Thinker
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:38 pm

Ecclesiastes wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:Lev, please tell us the distinctions among parsnips, turnips and radishes and how these distinctions could benefit our mental health.


Because then you wouldn't come across as an urban chav, an embarrassment, a social class Muishkin despises, because it reminds him of where he came from. The middle classes wouldn't look down on you.

He's a left wing snob, fueled by his own self-loathing.

I didn't get that from what Lev wrote.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12533
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

PreviousNext

Return to Psychology and Mind



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users