"Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: "Mental" Illness: The Future of Treatment

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:45 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:I don't think the people at Enron were having a lot of fun. One of the guys killed himself.

Haha.

Do you think Musk is still having fun?
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
Before the Light - Tree of Life Academy - Thought of a Rune (film by Pezer)
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Fixed Cross » Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:50 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:Madoff was having fun early on. But then he made a false move and suddenly he was just struggling fir his family not to lose everything. But it wasn't fun.

So it can't have been very fun from the start, because faliure was an option. He grew faster than he could cope. That's not fun. That's stressful.

Yeah, where is this threshold? Very important, where success turns from a lightness into a weight.

Arnand is probably also referring to things like referees in sports. Is that not a legitimate protection of fun?
But then the fun of sports is very limited.
- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:26 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:From what I've heard, Enron was a supremely stressful and abusive workplace. Everyone hated it. Was the top guy having fun?
A lot of those guys did much better in the 2008 debacle. Here they lived high for a long time and then got out and got other jobs. I think people tend to confuse mania with fun. Often in falling in love, for that matter. A denial of the driving underlying panic. No wonder a lot of the players were drawn to cocain, the mania chemical.

The 'see' their lives and possessions, they talk positive, they have high energy and their feet are not on the ground. A few flighty steps ahead of the terror.

It's be nice if they faced the consequences of their own idiocy as much other other people must.

That's on the idiots who worked for him or with him. Not on him. He was just doing his thing! But I don't think he was, because it was not a sustainable company and didn't grow and was deatined to fall.
These guys don't have a thing, so they become dopamine junkies, instead of facing their own lack of creativity or......and rush ahead into empty shit.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby Fixed Cross » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:42 pm

Karpel Tunnel wrote:
Pedro I Rengel wrote:From what I've heard, Enron was a supremely stressful and abusive workplace. Everyone hated it. Was the top guy having fun?
A lot of those guys did much better in the 2008 debacle. Here they lived high for a long time and then got out and got other jobs. I think people tend to confuse mania with fun. Often in falling in love, for that matter. A denial of the driving underlying panic. No wonder a lot of the players were drawn to cocain, the mania chemical.

The 'see' their lives and possessions, they talk positive, they have high energy and their feet are not on the ground. A few flighty steps ahead of the terror.

It's be nice if they faced the consequences of their own idiocy as much other other people must.

That's on the idiots who worked for him or with him. Not on him. He was just doing his thing! But I don't think he was, because it was not a sustainable company and didn't grow and was deatined to fall.
These guys don't have a thing, so they become dopamine junkies, instead of facing their own lack of creativity or......and rush ahead into empty shit.

- Thucydides
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind