Human Depression

Dude, I don’t do sarcasm. I was sincere.

EDIT

No, wait, I do do sarcasm. But I make it witty when I do, not just super douchy. I was sincere this time.

ok so you were being sincere…this issue is extremely important…people do not connect that what you are eating has a lot to do with mood and DEPRESSION…food and mood are very much connected…all you have to do is start educating yourself…there are plenty of persons ready to teach…anti-depressants may not be the best way to treat depression…

The thing is, I had a moment in my life where all the elements where set for a perfect storm of depression. In a way, the storm came, but it wasn’t quite depression. It was drug-adled “no use”-ism. That’s from the outside, of course, but on the inside, I was discovering things I never fucking ever would have imagined. I was sometimes eating nothing but spaghetti with butter (carefully rationed) for weeks at a time. Sometimes I didn’t eat at all for a day or two. I lived in the most depressive crack-den looking appartment you could imagine. I was smoking a lot of cigarettes and doing harmful drugs (not too harmful, I did respect some limits).

Yet, even in this biological chemistry hell, no, only because of that biological chemistry hell, I was able to reach places that I am eternally grateful I reached.

Therefore, my goal is not to find chemical balance. My personal way out of this funk will rather be economic autonomy combined with crazy drugs and crazy philosophy. Personally, I find happyness in the edges.

So, as I said, it sounds like a treatment that works, but it’s not for everybody.

i wasnt clear about what you eat most of the time…
does food effect your mood???

Yeah; after having this conversation and thinking back, I can safely say that food does affect my mood.

Consciousness and the Body. I would compare these to the Software and Hardware of a computer. Regardless of the integrity of a program, if the hardware is suffering, the program can’t function to it’s full potential. Likewise, when our body isn’t healthy, our mind can’t perform to it’s potential. However, unlike a computer, people are aware of their shortfalls, so the process of falling short provides negative feedback and further impedes the ability of the consciousness to perform to it’s capacity.

When I was younger, I was anorexic. I can vouch for the improvement a healthy diet has on our conscious mind.

in what way???

The day that food and drink/alcohol manufacturers have to list every single ingredient in their products will be a good day for the consumer… then they’ll understand why they have so many physical and mental ailments - I am dumfounded when someone knows that a certain food makes them unwell but they still eat it… I guess they don’t mind paying good money to be made sick :stuck_out_tongue:

Very subtle yet specific mood related ones. Eating a salad will change my mood in a slightly but specific different way than a sidewalk hot dog.

People will often choose a good time at the expensive of health consequences.

I’m not saying it’s right, but it’s pretty common.

Its all pretty fucking bleak looking isn’t it, really?!

Lol. =D>

for those that want to improve their depression problems there are plenty of behavior changes that can be made but it means hard work…there may be a few that are motivated…

I like this. Yes, life, indeed existence itself, is excess.
Older civilizations used to deal with this fact with violence, sacrifice, going on a warpath as a holy, ritual thing. Now that we’re no longer allowed to deal with the effects of the excess of our being that we experience as life so directly, each of us must find his own private, “obscure” way. Some do it by becoming depressed and making this the issue of their life (depression as rage/excess turned inward) – so become their own object of excessive attention. But within this we can differentiate -

• those that want to kill the depression, smother it, neutralize it.
  • those that live their depression as excess.
    Pezer here does the latter, and this is much better to read about, of course, from the outside, and as a philosopher.

It makes a great deal of sense - happiness at the edges. Be it of abundance or deprivation, life, being excess, becomes more and more discernable as life, as this incredible surplus phenomenon (and not as self-evident, ruled by common sense, castrated being) at the edges where only drives followed through will take us.

Indeed most would, but when the cons outweigh the pros one is pushed into the direction of abstinence and will-power for the sake of one’s health, or one is an idiot - I guess you gotta want it in order to do what’s right for you? which takes much will-power to abstain from whatever yummy foods are causing one grief.

:laughing:

…but why suffer if there is a solution/a get-out-clause to the bleakness?

If someone can find and utilize such a “get out clause”… Then good for them.
Personally, when I’m badly depressed, I don’t have the motivation to get a shower, much less to go see a doctor, etcetra.
Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Whatever works for the individual…

I’m in the same boat. Major depression, little motivation to make things better. Caring nonjudgmemntal people can and do help. Seek them out.

What is the proper thing to do in one of those “fuck it, I won’t even move” moments: dulling the pain with valium? forcing one’s self to look at the bright side with weed? toughing it out? letting people in? keeping them out?

I think this is one of the biggest problems with depression, what to do when one becomes a kind of zombie. The terrrible truth is that one can bear it.

Some die from it.