Rationalizing: How do we know for sure that we aren't?

The origins of the imperative, "know thyself", are lost in the sands of time, but the age-old examination of human consciousness continues here.

Moderator: MagsJ

Re: Rationalizing: How do we know for sure that we aren't?

Postby Meno_ » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:33 pm

One Liner wrote:Most of the time rationalizations are completely invisible and hence unfelt but, sure, sometimes some surface to our consciousness and create dissonance.

But some can cause consonance, are completely visible, even if, only felt, like in gut level feelings. To say most are of this kind or that, is a probability/uncertainty issue.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby One Liner » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:06 am

Reality is you will never really know and so is it wise to exercise caution?
One Liner
Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:22 pm

jerkey wrote:Arcturus, One Liner: Whether it is felt or observed, is a matter of gradient.
Both, feelings and observation relate to rationalizing, but one is compelled to ask, which occupies a deeper, or more central position.

Thoughts and images are closer to the surface, easier to access, they are more sensible. Feelings are misleading, because, verification is harder.

We can cry at something funny, and laugh at something sad.

Jerkey,

Yes, we can rationalize our feelings and what we seem to "observe within ourselves" jerkey, but does that mean that we will necessarily indulge in rationalizing?

Define "verification" with reference to feelings? Do you mean as in seeing that they have validity or that their - I mean are "real" and reasonable insofar as what has occurred within us or without us?

As for the last, that's possibly because we aren't taking a look at our emotions in the moment, what we are "really" dealing with.
Another defense mechanism? Repression?
SAPERE AUDE!

If I thought that everything I did was determined by my circumstancse and my psychological condition, I would feel trapped.

What we take ourselves to be doing when we think about what is the case or how we should act is something that cannot be reconciled with a reductive naturalism, for reasons distinct from those that entail the irreducibility of consciousness. It is not merely the subjectivity of thought but its capacity to transcend subjectivity and to discover what is objectively the case that presents a problem....Thought and reasoning are correct or incorrect in virtue of something independent of the thinker's beliefs, and even independent of the community of thinkers to which he belongs.

Thomas Nagel

I learn as I write!
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby One Liner » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:11 pm

We cannot rationalize feelings as such but we can rationalize our thoughts about our feelings.
One Liner
Thinker

Previous

Return to Psychology and Mind