Attitudes Towards Depression

Depression hurts, but you don’t have to.

That’s why there’s Cymbalta.

[size=67]In clinical studies of depression, the most common side effect of Cymbalta was nausea. For most people who had it, the nausea was mild to moderate and usually improved within 1 to 2 weeks.

Other common side effects included dry mouth, constipation, decreased appetite, fatigue, sleepiness, and increased sweating.

Most people were not bothered enough by nausea or these side effects to stop taking Cymbalta.

Your doctor may periodically check your blood pressure while you are taking Cymbalta. You should not stop taking Cymbalta without talking to your doctor. [/size]

[laughing]

Right.

[cue commercial with gentle music and old couple walking on the beach]

…side effects may include bleeding from the eyes, constipation, kidney stones, blindness, heart tremors, fever, stomach sickness, cramps, brittle nails, hair loss, high blood pressure, dizziness, and capitalist scum riding across the golf range on the cart you paid for by buying this medication to cure what you call “depression” while only being frustrated at a high gas bill, the fact that you are so old, and a husband who is no longer attracted to you.

I think a strong case could be made for saying that the imbalance is the feeling of being depressed. In other words the imbalance is an effect and not a cause. The pharmacological approach is addressing, often, a symptom, for example, and never really getting at causes.

That imbalance does not cause the feelings, they are one and the same. A part of the same pattern. We have no reason to accept this model over others, for example emotion/past experience based ones, or cognitive/b. based ones.

I can describe the physics of a kiss, but it may not help the shy teenage boy with his problem. In fact it is probably completely besides the point.

What is hard to grasp? We’ve all been medically depressed. Living is insanity, whether when it turns “medical” in society’s terms of not is irrelevant.

Where do you get off saying stuff like this? SHOW ME FACTS THAT EVERYONE HAS BEEN DEPRESSED.

You’re avoiding it because there are none. I’m tired of you spouting off how terrible life is and how everyone hates it when you can’t even back that up.

Stop the bullshit opinions and give me facts.

I can’t even believe you’re saying that the medical definition doesn’t matter. This is the most ridiculous thing you could do. You’re trying to do away with everything that could make you wrong, when indeed it’s needed to prove you correct.

But I’ll work on your level. Find a way to PROVE (not your opinion) that all humans have felt this form of “depression” you’re harping on about.

Me neither!

Actually, I think depression can be helped with self-discipline instead of a shrink.

[waits for it]

You might want to get acquainted with the works of this guy.

Why? If this is supposed to be proof everyone is depressed, it isn’t. I want proof. Not some miserable person trying to drag the world down with him.

The mere fact of your annoyance tells me you think otherwise! I’d like to see your proof that everyone isn’t depressed. Come on, where’s the proof.

I’m tired of you spouting off how life isn’t terrible and how everyone doesn’t hate it when you can’t even back that up.

Stop the bullshit opinions and give me facts.

Well I want facts for that otherwise. Not your dream world view of life.

oas.samhsa.gov/2k7/depression/occupation.htm

it is indeed higher than I had expected, but it is still not 100%

now where’s your facts?

and I’d like to point out annoyance isn’t depression. I love the reasoning though. very impressive.

And the point of that link was…?

Argue how we are not all depressed. How pain is only for a few etc.

Now where’s your facts?

fine. continue relying on your subjective interpretation of depression. in that case…everyone in my view secretly wants to molest children. and that’s a fact.

and here…I am not depressed. there is the only proof you need. you said everyone is depressed, but I am not. there.

and you could at least try to define depression. apparently to you it includes everything from suicidal thoughts to minor annoyance.

I’m working off the dictionary definition. and the fact that you said everyone IS depressed…not that everyone HAS BEEN depressed.

Depression is a very ambiguous term. Do you not agree?

Sure. Why not? So let’s just stop. If you won’t agree on a definition we have no basis for an argument. Smart move.

I agree, that it says nothing about the condition.

seeing as thats what we are discussing it realy does matter

Aidan, maybe you should try a more potent antidepressant, just as an experiment?..I think I might. From a nihilistic point of vew, being miserable is just as pointless as attempting to transcend it, and if you can’t transcend it then oh well. Why not try them?

Deleted