Bi-polar Disorder.

My father has bi-polar disorder and I know a lil about it… not much though. I am afraid of the possibility that I can inherit the disorder…If anyone would like to tell me a little about it if they know anything or if maybe you have a question about it, I might be able to tell you the answer.

It is possible that you’ve inherited it… very possible.

How badly does he have it? I have an second aunt thrice removed who had it so bad that every 6 months (her cycles were about twice a year for two months), she’d go nuts and do crazy things like fuge and cut herself/others/her hair. She’d spend all her cash then, too… could trade her a doughnut for her mortgage. Crazy stuff…

But my married-first uncle once removed, he’s bipolar as well, but his cycles are about every 6 hours. He doesn’t seem to do as much nutty stuff as this other lady does. He just gets really happy, then boom, for no reason, really sad.

My dad seams to be closer to your uncle… Although, he doesn’t get really sad, well publicly atleast, but extremely mad! We have alot of problems because of the way he can go from happy and laughing to screaming and throwing. I have trouble dealing with it. He should be on medication, he choses not to take it, he thinks that he was mis-diagnosed and he was just really depressed. I know better though, I can see the cycle, I know what is the real problem. Some how my mother can deal and work around this, I am not willing to accept the fact that he won’t deal with the problem and that it can get worse!

bi-polar disorder makes it very hard to seek/continue treatment… when you are high everything is so good that it is impossible to see that you need help and when you are low you are paralyzed and unable to do anything (at least in my experience)… if he thinks he was mis-diagnosed then perhaps he should ask to be on a lithium and celexa/prozac/other anti-depressant combination. the anti-depressants will keep you from spiraling too low and the lithium should balance you out… i don’t know if this is applicable in his case

also, drugs simply allow you to be in a mindset where you can improve your condition, talk things out, etc. i think they really need to be combined with some sort of therapy to be really effective (and the statistics are with me on this)

also, its probably something that you should be alert for…if you find yourself cycling or at either a high or low for a long period of time you should probably look to get some help right away

Thank you Imaginary Man. can I askif you have experiences with bipolar? Just out of curiosity. Thank you for your advice.

i had a shrink who didn’t like to give diagnoses in terms of medical names for diseases because she felt that labelling people with a check list of problems does not fully encompass and define the problems an individual has…

that being said i sufferred from severe depression for nearly two yrs before receiving treatment… the treatment i did receive was a combination of lithium, celexa, and therapy… i had some episodes which were thought to be mania - though i had thought that i was, in fact, just really happy not to be so depressed - so its kinda debatable as to whether i had manic depression or depression… i lean toward the latter though…

so in short…yea, i do have an experience with this

Again I have to say thank you :slight_smile:

I have experience as well. I am no expert on it though. It has always been a personal battle and have been against drugs to treat it. I have always maintained that experiences cause chemical imbalances, and knowledge has been my weapon against it… I will say it has a definite impact on the way I live, which may not be desirable. Not only do the actual highs and lows affect me in and of each, the gradual rollercoaster affects me on top of that. It changes who you are, even within the cycles. It compounds…

I want so badly to elaborate because I am curious as well right now, but I have to catch a train. I am interested to hear more on this subject. I have avoided it for the most part other than getting something positive out of every situation, good or bad…

I’ll be back.

Thanks!

Vulgar is not the word, it’s how you use it. Beauty is not the word, it’s why you choose it. See how it stands apart? At least make an effort to understand the art.

Is there something in his life that your father despairs about? I’m sure there must be, try and find it indirectly and tell your father to have an active social life, company he loves and that loves him and to get good sleep with proper food is a must. I think the root cause of all mental disorders is emotional, which causes a chemical imbalance in a person’s body BUT which I believe should be corrected through natural means, that is living a good well balanced life free of undue fear and insecurity. Anyways, the point is just 'cause the medical world says that you might inherit it, I don’t think that is true because, where it is true that you might have a similar disposition towards acting and reacting in situations as your relations because of heredity, BUT, you cannot have a similar disorder UNLESS some circumstance brings you in a similar situation as your dad. Essentially what I’m saying is that heredity is limited to genes only, but if the environment is different, it won’t show up. That’s what I feel. Whatever…

i think that for alot of people medication is a very helpful part of the process… i think alot of people are over-medicated, but i wouldn’t be too quick to say that people can get better simply by living in a more healthy way… try to remember that mental diseases essentially (at least with many of them) take away your will/ability to get better… medications do not change who you are or make your problems go away, but they allow you to enter a state whereby you are more ready to help yourself… if you can get into that state without the medication, great, but for those with severe problems it may be almost impossible to get in that state without meds, and honestly it is pretty easy to convince yourself that you are “getting better” on your own and that you do not need either meds or psychological help…