Conciousness, normal levels of.

I had a look through the different conciousness threads but couldn’t find one suitable to ask this.

I read earlier some ideas that there are four levels of conciousness.

You can liken it to a four story house.

The ground floor is ‘asleep’ or unconcious.

The first floor is likened to awake but not concious, vigil conciousness he calls it and says it’s another dream state, ie on auto pilot I presume.

The third being self aware ( self conciousness)

The fourth being totally aware. (objective conciousness)

The text is written by Samael Aun Weor, called Esoteric Treatise of Hermetic Astrology

The author claims that most humans only ever achieve the first two, that of being asleep and vigil conciousness.

Ignoring the fact that it may be a questionable scientific document (I am not saying that it is questionable, I have no knowledge to make that judgement)

What do the rest of you think?

Is it the norm to experience only the first two?
Are people who achieve the third and fourth, enlightened?
Is this what seperates intelectuals from non-intelectuals?

I am interested, becuase for most of my first 20 years (looking back) I did indeed only experience the first two levels.
Since that time I feel I have progressed through level three and Im now on level four.

I don’t claim to be super concious or anything, just that what he has written makes sense to me.

When my ‘Dawning of conciousness’ arose, it felt like someone had turned a light on. For the first time in my life I could see.

I always thought that I had been missing out and had an awful lot of catching up to do, compared to ‘normal’ folks, eg most people. and that most people already pocessed my new found level of conciousness.

It seems now that maybe I am wrong.

Some help please. Thanks.

Every human being reaches the 3rd stage on that model.

Self awareness becomes evident every time you comb your hair in a mirror.

And objective conciousness? Never within a subjective mind, and thats all we got.

At first glance, this theory looks like bs

Sure would give Buddhist a morale boost

check out Ken Wilbur’s book: “A Theory of Everything” He talks about 8 levels of human conciousness and awareness. Most humans are level one which is the average human. The rest are most likely at level 2 which is understanding that everything in the world is connected however we can’t see the connections yet. The third level IS seeing these connections, a sort of enlightenment you could say. Anyways it goes on and has some other great stuff in it. Definitely recommended

We don’t even have a good working definition of consciousness.

Consciousness has been defined as awareness, the ability to verbalize experience, meta-cognition, self of a self apart from the world… all the way to talking about some global greater consciousness at the universe level.

We know so little about consciousness, except to say that, if we define it as awareness, then very little happens mentally that we are conscious of, like the tip of an iceberg of mental processes.

Thanks all.
TheVance, I will check out that book, the reviews on Amazon look good.

Cheers!

Personally, I have experienced the lack of awareness. I was about twenty when i started my concious journey into awareness, myself.
I have reached the point of realizing the interconnectedness of all things and reached the point of recognizing the pattern all these connected things follow/produce. Next, I would imagine, is an ability to tell what happened, is happening and will happen at increasing depth and accuracy…

That sounds like 4 or 5 but I think it illustrates that the stages may be subjected to further breakdown depending on your point of view and amount of focus on each aspect…

I also, agree that our definition and understanding of conciousness is relatively limited…