Do you feel a 'presence' ?

I have always tried to find a ‘rational explanation for everything’ and would like to know what you think about this feeling I have…

Ever since I was a little girl, I have always had the feeling that I am being watched, I know this may sound ridiculous or from a spooked person, but sometimes the feeling would be so overwhelming that I’d be sure to actually find someone, or something, right over my shoulder if I turned around. As I grew older this feeling decreased as I started to simply over look it or just discard it and not think much of it. However I still do have times when I feel I am not alone when I’m certain I am… does this all make sense to you??

I started to read about this and found that other people go through similar situations, infact, a study showed that when two different persons from different areas were asked to draw an image out of their minds of what they think this presence would look like, the two drawings showed much resemblance… I don’t know if this is relavent or different from what I go through…

Another article I also found, which provided to be more of a ‘rational’ explanation for me, stated that certain frequencies below or above the normal human range of hearing (I’m not sure how many megahertz) have the effect of making people feel uncomfortable and think there’s a presence around them.

one more thing I thought of adding just for the heck of it; a friend of mine said that he was asked to switch off his mobile phone when touring in one of London’s dungeons as to ‘not disturb the spirits’ … no comment :confused:

what do you think? am I exposed to too much ‘frequencies’ that are causing me to hallucinate ? or is this feeling normal ?

marketing?

no comment i would suspect that you thought that the disturbing the dead was a load of crap. anyways, do you know why when you yawn someone around you yawns? let me enlighten you. there are pressures outside the body that decrease when one yawns, another person yawns to relieve the unbalanced pressure you put on the outter ears. and when you say that its like you are not alone…you aren’t. i undoubtedly think that there are other existing bodies other than what is seen. just my thoughts. you should read some of sylvia brown’s books. i highly reccomend reading her.

yeah !

it IS used to attaract tourists !

but that wasn’t the point of my post.

I hope you were joking, mary_ann.

It’s probably just a product of a more active limbic system. Familiarity is encoded there, and an erroneous sense of familiarity with no external correlate may be interpreted by the brain as of “a presence”.

My girlfriend have exactly the same feeling… why? i dont know. but i’d like to discover… its undoubtely a kind of hallucination, a peculiar one…

I think it may be a certain strain of paranoia. Or a celestial force of some sort. Maybe the spirits of the dead are seeking to help, and protect? Look into illogical posibilities.

Let’s assume someone or some spirit is watching us, I think the more important question would be WHY it’s watching us. If it’s an entity like us, be it spirit, would it not have better things or other things to do? Can I watch someone all the time, for no rhyme or reason? NO! So, you see, since there would be no reason for someone to watch us, therefore, it has to be a figment of our imagination. Perhaps you can say that I am lonely and so my mind starts to give me company by making me feel watched. A schizophrenic can feel watched all the time and I know they need company a lot, loving company. So, undisclosed, is it possible that you are most of the time lonely or lonesome?

Hey! I just wanted to say that I’m partially wrong about what I said in the post just above. I’ll correct that in a few days, maybe weeks. You know what? I read about ibur on google search engine. For the life of me I can’t believe HOW IN HEAVENS NAME I landed there. But I did! I wanted to find out what that “alien” factor is in a schizophrenic. All I said to myself was that I want to get to the heart of it. That’s all, you have to believe me. And whether you guys believe this or not, boy! Am I going to nail it down or what? Do you know those pages on ibur also say that this presence will leave as soon as it feels that its job is done. OKAY? So, if some of you feel a presence or feel watched, no need to worry, it will disappear in time. By the way don’t go and do all that the presence suggests, because it can mislead too, use your commonsense and mostly be a responsible person and you know what, you just might walk away, victorious and happy. I hope I didn’t say that too soon. Whatever…

Go to ‘kabbala’ as well as a word search on google and whether you believe it or not, you’ll figure out very soon what’s up? :laughing: I am NOT kidding at all, BUT, I suggest you do some reasearch of your own, hehehe!

It’s egoism. Your ego wants and needs you to believe that you are the centre of the world, hence you are being watched.

I get it to, most of us do, sometimes.

No, no it cannot be egoism in any way because people who feel watched are highly emotional and nice people. They have come so close to their spirits for many reasons, but one of them HAS to be lonesomeness as well, and so the spirit where it provides company they identify a lot with it too. I read somewhere that another spirit can become attached to you for whatever reason and will leave when its job is done, that could be true too. Whatever, all I’m saying is, these people who are watched are NOT egotistical in any way, perhaps the exact opposite and it would do them well to start being realistic and not too caring and give tit for tat and start living. I am not kidding at all. In as much as you are bad if you don’t punish the wrong done, you are also bad if you are too good because then others will become irresponsible and you will have a hand in propagating that. So, just live responsibly and I feel that life will be fair not only for you but for others too and we all walk away satisfied :smiley:

Egoism is more complex than “being nice to others” and not. I’m not saying that just cause this is egoism, the person is filled with egoism. Or more ego-centered than others. I’m just saying it’s built on egoism. The thaught of “being watched” builts on a feeling or thaught of you being in the centre of things.

What else can it build on, what else can be the cause?

You want me to name a few causes? Here they are: an animal being preyed upon is watched, an actor is watched, the environment is (observed) or watched, milk boiling is watched, etc., would you say then that, the prey, milk and environment consider themselves to be the centre of attention? No, only an actor does and mind you the actor is not watched by one but many in general. So your egoism doesn’t click here in the case of being watched by a spirit. Answer this, if you had ego then it would be your ego making you do stuff so you’d get attention, right? A spirit watching you for its own purpose, how can you call that egoism, where do you even figure in here? Whatever…

I just read about the Holy Trinity and although I don’t believe in all those that the websites said, but I think that if something like God exists then this is the way The Holy Trinity would go. Messengers are His word and the spirit would be His thinking or thoughts, very similar to that inner voice of ours. So, where words can be wrong but thinking cannot be wrong because it’s God’s thinking, His thoughts. So, when schizophrenics think that God is speaking to them then their thoughts are in many instances, the thinking of God, I believe this because many talk about humanity, justice and being humane in general, which God inadvertantly is. And even after schizophrenic after schizophrenic is talking about something “alien” or “God speaking to them,” despite that, the psychiatrists do not feel they have a duty to look into it but they find it easier to term them as mentally handicapped. I’m just expressing my thoughts, not enforcing them on anyone. Otherwise you tell me that I don’t have freedom of speech even and then I’ll understand that. Now where it is also true that there is definately a chemical imbalance inside a schizophrenic but this imbalance that creates a higher dopamine level and so higher intelligence and consciousness would you not say is precisely the reason that brings schizophrenics so closer to God or THE HIGHER CONSCIOUSNESS?

“A general theory is proposed that attributes the origins of human intelligence to an expansion of dopaminergic systems in human cognition. Dopamine is postulated to be the key neurotransmitter regulating six predominantly left-hemispheric cognitive skills critical to human language and thought: motor planning, working memory, cognitive flexibility, abstract reasoning, temporal analysis/sequencing, and generativity.”

I also wanted to add that, since life is a balance, so where God’s voice speaks to a schizophrenic, the Devils voice does too. Does that mean that God and Devil might be the same being? Perhaps! I don’t know. Because of the two voices that speak two different languages, one from God and another from the Devil at different times, that is why you the schizophrenic needs to be very perceptive and distinguish in what is rational and good and what is not. My suggestion is that if you just live your life responsibly, then no matter what you WILL make the right decision and be spared of any wrong done to you or by you. Whatever…

Interesting last post Beenajain.

schizophrenia:

A situation or condition that results from the coexistence of disparate or antagonistic qualities, identities, or activities.

Now, Jain, may I call you that? (Taking your silence for acknowledgment :wink: ) You wrote:

I question the legitimacy of this claim. Are more left brain oriented people of a higher intelligence then right brain people? Can intelligence even be measured this way? Was Einstien more intelligent then Mozart? I don’t believe its just to reason that schizophrenics are more intelleligent.

Now this is very interesting. You wrote:

Indeed perhaps. For ones god or devil is really ones self is it not?

No, Einstein was not more intelligent than Mozart because intelligence has to do with commomsense mainly and that can vary depending on the situation or circumstance or activity or interest in it, etc., but we are all the same intelligent. I feel that we are all intelligent in our own ways, but Einstein was definately more brilliant than Mozart in the sense I feel that he could make brilliant connections perhaps. Also, some people think that intelligent or brilliant people are not stupid, let me assure you that they both go together and with the same intensity too. A really intelligent or brilliant person can make a very stupid mistake because he’s not wise because wisdom comes from experience alone. Therefore, no one is really more intelligent than another because commonsense comes from experience too. But there can be degrees to brilliance I feel.

As to the definition of schizophrenia, who defined it? I don’t feel it’s right, so I don’t believe in it. I don’t have to. Please read my two essays on schizophrenia at my website, and then come and define it again here.

And call me Beena, that’s my first name.

Cool! You agree with me that God is both, God and Devil, so why call Him God? Why not Higher Justice?

The fool learns from his mistakes. The wise man learns from other peoples mistakes.

Therefore wisdom does not come only from personal exprience as you imply.

Babymine! People don’t even learn from their own mistakes, let alone that others make. Have you heard of the saying, ‘experience is the comb life gives us when we go bald.’ It is true. We just keep repeating our own mistakes even, usually that’s the case. As to learning from others’ mistakes, why would anybody do that? I would not do that ever, I’d like to go through the experience and SEE for myself and then come to my own decision and conclusion. That person cannot have lived life who would learn from another’s mistakes, let me assure you. What would life be if you don’t experience it yourself. Life is not just plain sailing, it’s high tides too. Wouldn’t you like to experience the high tides in your life, my dear? If someone has coined a phrase like the one you quote, hah! I don’t have to believe in it!

Id rather learn touching a hot stove is bad by seeing someone touch it and get burned then myself touching it and getting burned.

You are hilarious I figured you would even contest this haha this is my last reply to one of your posts I don’t like talking to walls.