lonliness

when do you feel most excrucuatingly alone?

and what do you do about it?

I feel alone all the time, but it is not “excrucuating”, and I don’t have to do anything about it. This is a feeling that no human can quench, and I’m not so sure this is a bad thing.
I’ll begin to worry the first time I don’t feel alone, for then I will know that I’ve turned into a theist, and I am beyond help.

all the time. it is the human condition. and honestly, theres nothing bad about it. there are other beings out there (most probably, unless you’re a strict solipsist or rafarjafar :wink: ) we do engage with them but ultimately we are all alone. one has nothing else but oneself.
impossible to falsely secure another as a pillar of comfort to stick to. you interact and relate to others but ultimately, one is alone.

" I feel alone only when I’m around people "

• forgot who said it… :confused:

My sleeping pattern is based on not meeting people and reading, or talking to myself. And for sure, theres been times when writing on this heir website, that ive found myself been incredibly lonely But with others the more.
" Read on this book;
That show of such an exercise may colour
Your loneliness. We are oft to blame in this,–
'Tis too much proved–that with devotion’s visage
And pious action we do sugar o’er
The devil himself."
Hamlet.[/i]

see, I find that most times I prefer my own company to that of my friends: I can be myself; as in, I can be weird and emotional, moody, hyper and whatever, and I’m ok with that. But then other times I feel like that’s not normal, so I surround myself with people I don’t particularly like, and act in a way I don’t particularly like either. However, I’ve decided aainst that since it requires too much effort.

And this is when I feel the worst because I realise that there can’y be something wrong with the majority of people I know, the problem surely arises from there being something wrong with me; and that’s when I find the lonliness suffocating.

Hope

In a crowd of people.

I go to my room and shut the door.

When (all) people turn there backs at me.

I turn to inwards myself, and figure out what I’m experiencing, to get rid of that terrible feeling.

Yes, we all are alone. Like islands, trying to connect with other islands. But at the end, we still live alone on an island. Even the person nearest to you, doesn’t live at your island, because we all got seperate minds. Therefore no one can understand you to the fullest. That’s why the feeling of loneliless will never fade away (completely).

Theres nothing like feeling ones loneliness and empty void within oneself as there is after rejection.

I feel more lonely amidst a crowd then i do alone with nature, I.E walking in a park compared to walking in the city.

And Dostoevsky said “the loneliest place is in a crowd” in Crime and Punishment.

Alone

From childhood’s hour I have never been
as other were-- I have never seen
as other saw-- I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I lov’d, I lov’d alone.

Then-in my childhood- in the dawn
From ev-ry depth of good and ill
The mystry which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that 'round me roll’d
in its autumn tint of gold–
From the lightning in the sky
As it pass’d me flying by–
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.

-Edgar Allan Poe

When do I feel alone?

Never.

I could be drifting through space and I’d still complain about the overabundance of being:

“There are too many stars, to much emptiness, to much black, get away from me, leave me alone!!!”

[stomp…stomp…stomp]

I feel like Roquentin when he asks in the park “why are there so many copies of trees?”

How in the hell could one feel alone when we are surrounded by existence, bulging, obscene, crowded and overflowing for eternity?

What do I do?

I listen to Frank Zappa.

de’trop
I feel alone when I feel the void inside me not outside me.

Yes! That’s exactly how I feel, and nothing seems to get rid of it. Well, not permanently at least and what’s more worrying is that I can’t conceive of anything that would. It always just seems to be there, sometimes more intense than others.

I venture to guess and hope that love will eliminate it.

Is it bad to be alone?

does feeling bad make it bad?

There’s a difference between being alone and feeling alone. Obviously it’s not bad to be alone if you choose to be alone. Actually it’s not ‘bad’ if you don’t choose it either, it just feels lousy. Then of course, as it’s been already said, you can be surrounded by people and still feel alone, and so on and so forth

Think I know which kind of alone you mean Karolina.

And I dont think there is much to do about it.

Frequency and type change as life changes, but it seems to me that it always stays there.

I try not to call people. : )