"Multiple personality disorder"

Dude, you gotta (sic!) read someone besides Sartre! There are definitely psychic as well as physical ones cases (like amnesia) where people conveniently forget their mnemonic ability. For instance, i find it hard to remember dreams, but this forgetfulness happens in our waking, conscious life as well. We all find it easy to forget a particularly arduous or embarrassing event, for example. Nietzsche even spoke about the healing, curative power of forgetfulness; without it where would dignity and a host of other fine things be? What did you say? I forget! :unamused:

Nevertheless, in most normal situations our memory functions well. But there may be extreme traumatic psychological cases where it may easier for the psyche if the memory does not work so well.

But you speak specifically of the case of multiple personalities accessing the same memory, unaware of each other. I admit that i am at a loss for explanation at this but that does not mean that it doesn’t happen.

Dude, you gotta (sic!) read someone besides Sartre! There are definitely psychic as well as physical ones cases (like amnesia) where people conveniently forget their mnemonic ability. For instance, i find it hard to remember dreams, but this forgetfulness happens in our waking, conscious life as well. We all find it easy to forget a particularly arduous or embarrassing event, for example. Nietzsche even spoke about the healing, curative power of forgetfulness; without it where would dignity and a host of other fine things be? What did you say? I forget!

Nevertheless, in most normal situations our memory functions well. But there may be extreme traumatic psychological cases where it may easier for the psyche if the memory does not work so well.

But you speak specifically of the case of multiple personalities accessing the same memory, unaware of each other. I admit that i am at a loss for explanation at this but that does not mean that it doesn’t happen.

I don’t know what you are talking about, Marshall. My last post had nothing to do with Sartre in any direct way. It is, of course, a certain phenomenological approach to the idea, one of which Sartre used, but there are countless other philosophers who start from the same position. So why assume that this idea is directly related to Sartre? Ah, because I mention Sartre often, you naturally assume that everything I say corresponds to Sartre.

For some reason I take that as a minor insult. I’ll get back to ya’ on that one.

When will Marshall know that I am thinking for myself? When will he see me and not the shadow of another?

[insert Nietzsche rip-off]

No matter. As a great thinker, I am related to the brevity of time in which I live, as great buildings are to the little block in which they stand: one can’t see them in all their magnitude because one is too close to them. I am posthumous, and my mistakes are a greater benefit to mankind than the successes of small men. I am a destroyer, and I philosophize with a hammer(a twenty-three ounce Sears Craftsman framming hammer, with the solid oak stock and titanium alloy head, and life time warranty).

“One day, my name will be associated with events on earth that…yada, yada, yada.”

All I can say, Marshall, is that you should buy my book(when I write it), join my cult(when I start it), and pay the membership fees(when I ask for them).

When I come out of the bank with a big bag, don’t ask any questions…just drive the car, and fast.

What do you mean by “conveniently” and “psychic?”

I am not arguing against the fact that people can purposely forget things. In fact, it is parallel to my point. But I will not elaborate until I know I understand you more completely. What do you mean by those terms, exactly?

I’m a little confused, ICD 10 lists the complaint under “F44.81 Multiple personality disorder” - is this a matter that people can “believe in” or not?

Not having experienced the complaint (I am more into gerontopsychiatry) I can’t say whether I believed anyone supposed to have had it, but is this the level you’re at - deciding whether the complaint is real, or whether the patient is faking?

Shalom
Bob

Why do you care what Marshall knows… all that matters is what you can know.

As for all this money you’re going to get…

Can I borrow some and not return it?

Admittedly, It is hard to justify more than one experience occurring originally, but one could easily come up with as many interpretations as needed. Sartre gives the example of a group of hikers encountering a stone blocking their path in the mountain, and tells how some see it as a challenge, some study it scientifically, etc. I’m not sure where i stand on this multiple personality issue, i’ve never thought about it in great detail before, and i haven’t seen any of the psychological literature.

[quote]

[quote/]

I have to agree with that point even though i am new to this subject of philosophy. For me it falls under the category of consciousness and metaphysics regardless of which famous thinker came up with it first. consciousness allows us to have sensory experience and to gain and apply knowledge. To enable the ‘concepts’ of reason and opinion to manifest within our own thoughts in the mind. As an aspect of a person, as the context Jamie first conjured, I beleive in it although i haven’t experienced it for myself. States of depression or concentrated agro may come across as forms of MPD it is not necessarily so as some experience moments of amnesia or ’ alternate personality’ aka a skitzophrenic!

correct me if i am wrong here but its just an opinion!

Multiple personalities or alternate personalities isn’t included in the description of schizophrenia. I would know.

As for believing in MPD, I have to admit that I don’t. Specifically, I don’t believe that it is a disorder. Society generally sees it as a disorder that needs to be treated no matter what. I just see it as being different and unique. Like everyone else.

I am a member on here, but I was just a little to lazy to sign on. :sunglasses:

From my own I don’t think that such a thing like a multiple personality disorder exists or could exist? A MPD would mean that the persons personhood keeps changing. But logically this is not possible even if someone has a lost identity even. The reason is because the person could not live with himself otherwise. There are transsexuals, transvestites, etc., and they only have a personality disorder where they would like to be seen as some other person. Now this I would say is a personality disorder and anything else is just a phrase coined by the medical world to show to the general public what they can’t explain in clear terms. Any mental, psychological, physical, behavioural disorder in my eyes would be just that and the person would all the time keep his personhood. But not in the case of transvestites etc., where personhood changes, in which case it becomes a personality disorder. Whatever…

That could be why they’ve looked into correcting the naming convention by calling it Disassociative Identity Disorder, or the theory that they have a problem associating with one identity or set of characteristics for behavior, as the multiple personality is a sticking point to some. It’s not to say that you have anything but one compound personality that’s fragmented from some deficiency, hence the change in nomenclature. I believe in it’s potential of existing much as I do schizophrenia, bi-polar, and other diagnosed disorders. Then again I don’t necessarily believe that MPD is improper nomenclature unless you’re brutally technical and anal or in profound beliefs that your philosophy or “take” on things is verbatim. :wink:

Yet I’m not necessarily a believer that it’s treatable through medication and lock and key, adhering to what some on here have spoken of. These efforts are honestly more of a pathway to numb them into being a drone where they’re less harmful and/or less capable of thinking at any capacity, or sort of a figurative way to sweep something untidy to the mass majority under the rug via putting it away so noone can see it. That is what we as humans in majority tend to do if it’s not pretty, doesn’t behave per norm, and isn’t up to our standards en masse, if even most of us won’t own up to our own actions and admit to it.

I firmly believe that while a Psychologist/Psychiatrist can perhaps diagnose and even understand the problems enough to counsel someone into perhaps achieving a more normal etiquette based on the norm (people surrounding them and their behavioral standard) I don’t necessarily know that unless under extreme conditions that this is a pathway to take. We don’t make gays and lesbians conform to the “norm” and honestly, we shouldn’t because it’s their right (at least in America) to be different and it’s our requirement as being human, short for humanitarian, to accept them and provide them with the same mode of existence we all endure. Some see it as a genetic deficiency caused by some erroneous chromosone switch, but I’m sure most gays and lesbians think they’re just fine the way they are and might even see themselves as the “non-deficient” ones.

to-MAY-to : to-MAH-to

A person with m.p.d. (now d.i.d.), like normal people, has had to adapt their behavior to differing social contexts, but – to the extreme, out of survival, resulting in behavior so contradictory that they exhibit completely distinct personalities in different contexts – the disorder causes problems when the contexts overlap. It doesn’t really necessarily have anything to do w/ memory/amnesia – Hollywood came along and mucked up the popular perception of the disorder.

One cannot be diagnosed with the disorder if they do not experience an “inability to recall important personal information to an extent that is more than ordinary forgetfulness.”

Read the whole link, it is rather interesting:

guidetopsychology.com/mpd.htm

Very nice, She. Thanks for the link.

What a nut.

What, you disagree one can be controlled by one’s self-deceptions (bad faith?)? – what in that quote makes you think Freud is a nut?

…my pleasure.

Greetings one and all. I registered here, because I am at a loss. My fiance is quite disturbed. I believe she may have another personality. She has delusions. Oh, I am bereft! She was this shining beacon of light…but she is severely afflicted. I cannot lie to myself any longer. I need guidance in determining wheather or not there is merit to my assumptions, or…she has some other condition that causes her to fabricate the transmogrification of the persona. I love her deeply, but…I spoke with her las night, and the other one she tells me about answered…this was after 2 weeks of not being able to reach her…the woman of my dreams…and then, when I finally do…it is this cold, emotionless, thing on the other end…she clearly didn’t give a damn about my feelings or my love. This is like a nightmare I cannot wake up from. I need to know if there are any fundamental aspects one can isolate and observe that definitively prove she has a clinically diagnosable condition. I must be sure about this. Oh, and please, do not advise me to take her to the Dr. She lives three thousand miles away, and her parents are not sympathetic to her needs. I must go it alone. Thank you all.

That isn’t a multiple personality disorder, rather in my view it’s just a different side of her character. Being affectionate one moment and cold another is a variance in the same self. We all have these different sides to us this doesn’t equate to multiple personality disorder.

From my experiance I would call it an injury more than anything else. All of us will act a little childish if we feel nervous or something- but becomeing a child and not being aware is a much more extreem version.

It fucking weird, I tell you if your fooling around with someone, and they suddenly look up at you and in a childish voice say “Who are you?” Then after a couple minutes you realize its not a game and have to back off to avoid commiting pedophila. Then you spend like half an hour explaining how they got from Louisianna to Maryland and why its so cold. In childish terms mind you, like “Old Man Winter.” So there may be a nameing problem or something but it exist whatever you want to call it. It exist as much as cannadianne pennies.