Memory

Forgive me for asking a question that is most likely common knowledge, but it has been bothering me for some time now. Over time, as I acquire new interests and learn new things, I notice that I forget much of the content of my older interests. My mind fixates on one subject for a considerable amount of time, only to abandon it quickly and find another topic. By the time I have moved on to yet another subject, I often notice that I have forgotten a substantial amount of the material on that first interest.

Certainly, if I were to briefly look over the material again, many details would come back, but I would hope that such a method is not necessary for acquiring and maintaining a strong body of knowledge.

Is there any type of general “ratio” that can suggest what percentage of new material will be offset by losses from old information? Obviously it would vary from person to person, but would it be possible that, with a small number of people, it would be best to learn the most essential things only, and refrain from acquiring new knowledge?

This question has become very pertinent to me lately, mostly because I am making an effort to watch a great number of classic movies. But what if some ratio of the knowledge I am gaining is being forgotten - perhaps in much more important topics?

As I stated at the beginning, this is likely a foolish question. The entire world cannot be wrong about learning and acquiring knowledge, yet this question still annoys me. As I am an idiot, and far too lazy to spend hours jumping from website to website finding an answer (and what if I forget more important things!?), I have come here in search of a quick solution. Does anyone have one?

Thank you,

resolnaisa

As you probably know, memories are stored as electric signals within neurons in our brain. Recalling or remembering involves the connections between these neurons. When something is “forgotten”, it’s not that that information is lost, it is simply more difficult to make the connections between the neourns containg the memory.

Anyway…What you’re talking about is sort of like having a keep-sake box (you know, where you put momentos from years gone by). When you’re little, you play with a toy everday, but someday you don’t need it anymore and put it away. The toy is still there, you just don’t access it. It’s the same with memory. As years go by, information that was pertinent at one point becomes stored away so that you can focus oin something else. Recalling that info sometimes requires such as briefly looking over the material again. It’s like seeing a picture of a toy similar to the one you stored away. Suddenly you can find it again.

Not that I know of, though I I’d imagine that it’s not quantatative at any rate. I guess I really didn’t help. Sorry.