Something odd

This may sound stupid or “welcome to the mental ward”, but i talk to myself all the time. :unamused:

Now i do know people do this, but no-one ever talks about it and i just need to get it out in the open. I seem to convince myself things that are so untrue, partically when drunk or stoned (that leads to thinking bad or good things of other people). Is this excessive talking to myself just a lack of convidence with other people? Now im not sure of this question either as it depends on people im with and ive managed to argue with myself while writing and now im confused. This sentence im just going to write and see what happens, thats it-it all seems to lead to women and sex. EVERYTHING i mean, partically to Annabelle now(nevermind).

Im going to stop now, i just wont to know if anyone else finds this as odd, comforting or frustrating as i do. Like convincing yourself strange admirations or thinking people were talking about you that werent and getting yourself all “confused” over stupid concepts that youve talked yourself into believing. Is this crazy?

no i do not consider that crazy. I do that myself. Im sure there is some medical method to solve our problem. and that basically is that our brains do more thinking than they should. Perhaps a partial snip of the frontal lobe will resolve this for us.

Kesh,
There’s a saying that talking to yourself is a first sign of madness, but fear not, the saying isn’t literal or meant to be true. I’ve heard others say that talking to yourself isn’t the first sign of madness, but answering yourself is. This too is often said in jest. I personally know of someone who talks and answers themselves while doing something. But not in the sense of a multiple personality disorder, but in the sense that she speaks what her brain says. For example, if she is looking for a book in her room she may say “Now where is that book?” and when she finally finds it she may say “Ofcourse, the book was under the pile of papers”. What I think would be strange though if someone answered themselves in the third person. Using the same example to illustrate, if she is looking for the book and says “Now where is that book?” and when she finally finds it she says “You should have known it was under the pile of papers” - then I think she might have something to worry about. But this doesn’t sound like what you are describing, so from what you have said you sound perfectly fine. I would be interested, if you don’t mind that is, to hear a detailed account of one of your experiences in talking to yourself. Again, only if you’re comfortable sharing.

What’s your take?

As long as you don’t start referring to things as “my pretty”, you should be just fine. . . :astonished:

Or “my precious” as in Golem’s case. :wink: :laughing:

Fromy my simple observation ive realised that everyone is constantly talking to themselfs. I have conversations on thoughts, arguments and like to contradict myself on things “constantly”.

Magius

Ohh this is only the start of my self talking. :confused: How can someone write a book with more than one character without having a brilliant ability to talk to themselfs? I think its the origin of thought! i have many mentalitys. Plus there all honest.
1.Hello there Kesh
2.hello there kesh

1. so what you up to
  2. well writing on this post
  3. obviously
  4. shut up
  5. yea shut the f*** up
  6. im only saying
  7. leave him, his just u
  8. yea u have a point
  9. good god :blush: [look what i have to put with]

Skeptic

If ive hide a fag say in my secret hiding place, from myself(know ill forget) - when im gagging for a fag and have no money at all: the procedure is at first been very impatient and looking for pennys to buy some; if i cant find money and then i remember the hidden fag… “well thats it” i self congratulate myself, complement myself on hiding it and all manner of talk(with myself). And yes, i call it “my precious”.

BluTGI

Yea, we rock.

Hmmmmm… I suppose that if I reveal that I occasionally argue out loud with myself, some may consider me a bit “out there”, so perhaps I’d best not mention it.

What are you talking about?? Like anyone’s going to care, or anything!

No, really, I prefer to have people NOT think of me as a lunatic.

I’m telling you, NOBODY CARES!! Now just DO IT, okay?

Well, I’ll think about it.

err… yeah, that’s what I meant to say. :blush:

That sounds a lot like “thinking out loud”.

Like when you see a girl, you do “inner-thinking”… “Maybe I should go and talk to her… no wait… she doesn’t know me… but maybe she’ll like me !! but what would I talk to her about… or what if… blah blah”…

I admit soemtimes, when I wanna programm I do think things out loud and say sota “hmm… so how did that line go ? class X expands Y ?” and after something is bad "damn it… I knew I should have done it the blah blah way … " When I succeed I of course admit the obvious: “damn, I’m a genius” :slight_smile:

Plus if I’m crazy - geniuses usually are that way :smiley:
But then againI usually do think out loud sometimes… when I’ll have a regular convo with myself - that’s when I’ll be worried :smiley:

Like Magius said:

:slight_smile:

well, Kesh, I don’t think it’s a great problem or something extra ordinary you should be ashamed of. I think many people have their own ways to handle with themselves and one of them is “thinking aloud” like Nomad said. I don’t want to assume that you’re shizophren. But for instance, sometimes I play chess with myself. No, it’s not a joke. Maybe it’s a great deal to develope strategy, but many people think it’s odd, because they can’t or don’t do it or have never tried it out. From my own expirience, I often speak to myself, but I try to keep short and not to get into deep. It often happens if I need to get rid of something and lack confidence to pronounce it in presence of others.
Just look how many people have their own diaries. I don’t have one.
By the way, do you hear those voices or do they just appear in your mind???

I know the other one: the first sign of madness is saying that you’re sane :slight_smile:

I also talk to myself, apparently i’ve been doing that ever since I could speak.
Actually my parents told me that this was one of the main reasons they had my brother… :laughing:

ehem… just thought id throw that in there

I’m sane. No really, I really am. :astonished: :laughing: :astonished: Well, at least I think I am. :confused:

Come on now Skep! Listen to yourself! You sound like a raving lunatic. Pull it together now! The other poster’s are starting to look at you funny. :stuck_out_tongue:

sounds amusing :slight_smile: I think I am sane too. Well, in my opinion, every one of us has a little bit of crazyness in his/her mind, otherwise the life would be too dull :wink:

so keep it that way Skep :slight_smile:

Yesterday i had a really weird mind conversation. 2 days ago my great ant died, and i had been dossing off. after been woke up after a small sleep i went down stairs - then eating something i went to bed (still sleepy &just to say i had A freaky nightmare later on[booh hoo]); while i was still awake i got them frightening voices you only get when asleep!?!?!?! (i had to put that many !? there cause i cant explain), but it was freaky and in a way they were evil voices if you know where im coming from.

you sounded like a right tit then kesh

I didn’t know where to post this and I didn’t want to make a whole new thread for this, but I have to share it and get it out.

My girlfriend and I went to the drive-in tonight, we saw Pirates of the Caribbean, and got into an argument on the way home. After I dropped her off I went home, parked the car on the driveway and decided to go for a walk in the park behind my house to think. After I got back, I had not enough, so I decided to walk up and down my street (approx 12:30am). At which point I heard a chain rattling, I looked over and one of the residents on my street came out and asked where I was going. I noticed, to my surprise, that he was holding nunchucks in his right hand. I assertively told him it was none of his business. After some meanderings about me answering his questions with questions and him being seriously distressed about something - I got him to keep his distance, calm down, and expel his frustrating circumstance. Turns out that someone pissed on his trailor (on his driveway) and lit a fire in front of his house. The fire was on a card-board box in which was a pile of dung (excretions, poo, shit). Obviously the man was distressed, they live a normal existence and don’t need to be hassled this way. He apologized for scaring me and I told him there was no need to apologize, for I was not scared by him for I can defend myself, even against nunchucks, for my experience in martial arts. I then proceeded to tell him that nunchucks were not the way, for whoever did it, should he find them and hurt them with the nunchucks would only turn back on him as excessive force in a court of law where he would be charged and sentenced and possibly taken away from his family. At which point he told me he also had a digital camera and that he was going to take a picture if he got them. I told him that that was pretty useless because it was dark and the street lamps wouldn’t make for a good or clear picture for a police profile.

Turns out that I use to deliver papers to his house and he lives two houses down across the street from my house.

My point here is that it is something odd. How inane does a person need to be to do something like that? Or, how bad of an act did he do to hurt someone that they would resort to such measures of revenge? How do we come to understand this, to deal with it, or to predict it? Who cares if there is a legal system based on the assumption of rational citizens when we have citizens acting irrationally? What good will a legal system do for me if someone decides to kill me? No amount of justice is enough for me if I am dead. No amount of justice is enough when someone can do as they please, harm whomever they wish, and get away with it. I understood only too well the mans pain tonight as sorrow fills my heart.

I have noticed from my late night walks and runs that there are quite a few teenagers that hang around the park and even my street late at night. Our house as well as our neighbours are subjected to window egg tosses about once a month. Hence, it is probable though not assured that it is them. No one on our street has ever witnessed one of these acts of indiscretions.

It irritates me to know that hard working people have to be subjected to this kind of treatment without having done anything wrong. This is the worst kind of wrong, in my opinion, not in reference to the act but the mentality behind the act. To do wrong to another intentionally without being wrong by them or have anything to do with them, is like a crazed lunatic that will kill for the fun of it. It’s enough to worry about living in a system with rules that need to be amended so one’s happiness doesn’t conflict with another, or that one doesn’t accidentally or unintentionally harm another, but how does one logically and rationally deal with a person or group of people who would do harm to others for no reason other than to know they can?

What’s your take?

If I was him, I would have smacked you anyway for being so arrogant. :slight_smile:

• ben

i know were you’re coming from there magius, only on Friday the “street kids” with nothing else to do started hailing abuse at me when i was drunk (now i remember the boring weekends of street corner cider drinking;) so in my drunken state i argued back, after 2 minutes 6 were running after me down the street! soon i got to a pub and so some people i knew. them 2 were in a “what are you looking at” stage of pissed, so we went back up (stupidly) and one of the little f***'s out of know-where hit me on the back of head with a glass bottle. I felt laddo’s need to kill! (and still do)

kesh, i’m very sorry that the kid hit you in the back of the head like that. how are you doing? obviously not as bad as it could be, i hope, since you were cute enough to write:

you’re going all vernacular on us. not sure what it means, but it sounds english… :laughing: :wink: