IQ

I want to discuss the measure of the human brain and the knowledge it can contain. My belief is that there are many different levels of intelligence, these levels are unknown to us right now, hopefully they will help us to re-establish our education system, political system, economic system, and help us to come together in peace and harmony without rules and regulations and restrictions, but an ultimate intelligence that all can be taught and understood. This intelligence will not need studying or long periods of techings, it will be a simple way of understanding that applies to all things. I will take a deep look at the effect of the quotient a human has in society. According to the newest version of the Dictionary, the definition for IQ is: obtained by dividing the mental age by the chronical age and multiplying by 100: a person of average intelligence would therefore have an IQ of 100.

First I want to look at the different levels of the “I” in IQ. According to the dictionary, the definition of intelligence is: the ability to perceive logical relationships and use one’s knowledge to solve problems and respond appropriately to novel situations. I believe it necessary to share the definition of knowledge. To apprehend with the conscious mind, to know truth from falsehood, to be acquainted with by experience, to recognize, to have acquired skill in, to be able to imagine, to be informed about, to be in possesion of the facts about, to have committed to memory, to be irrationally convinced of, understanding or awareness of something, to be certain of or convinced about something to be. The great thing is, that all the levels are in the definition of knowledge, they are just not classified as different, it is true that they all work together, but nevertheless they are all different and distinct thinking patterns. Some people believe that in order to know something, you must know the opposite of it. Ie. We have good only because we know what is bad. For my first argument in response to the definition of knowledge, where it says to apprehend with the conscious mind, I must ask a question, what is the opposite of the conscious mind? Unconscious? Many people have theories about what the unconscious is, but we lack a proven standard definition of what unconscious, consciousness, and sleep really is. Secondly, to understand something you must get outside of it, just like we can only see life from our perspective because we cannot see it from anyone elses, we cannot say that we know life, we can only say that we see it from our perspective and we have an opinion about it. How about the second line: to know truth from falsehood. Well we have to ask ourselves, what is truth? The dictionary definition for truth is: the state or quality of being true, something which is true, accuracy, sincerity, integrity, agreement with fact. The first two lines in the definition of truth are relating back to the word, the next line is accuracy, how accurate are we with anything that we do or say? I once did an experiment in highschool that my teacher put forth to us, its point was to show how misconstrude truth can be. One person is given a story by the teacher, that person has to re-tell that story to a second person, and so forth for about five people. At the end the fifth person tells the class the story he heard from the forth person, the teacher then retells the story that was told to the first person–the first and last stories are nowhere near the same. So intelligence is anything but clear, and anything but one thing. There are obviously levels to it. I looked at the way we learn and the way we think to answer that question. How do we learn? If we take the school approach I must say that we learn with memorization and basic application of the memorization. We memorize what we read and what we ehar, when a topic comes up regarding the text we memorized we regergetate what we read or heard. Is that intelligence? I think the average person would say “no”, but society as a whole seems to think so, why need a degree in law to get a job as a lawyer? In law school you must memorize cases and laws and regergitate the information with some application when it is test time. You do this for a few years and you become a lawyer. The dictionary definition of memorization goes as follows: something learned, the total store of mentally retained impressions and knowledge. So, the first level of intelligence is memorization (the levels are not in any specific order). The second level what I like to call “Five senses Intelligence”, this is learning through our five senses–but proper learning must be done through all five senses not just one or two. For example, you take a coconut–you feel it because you’re holding it, you see it because it is before your eyes, you smell it, you taste it by licking it or biting into it, and you hear it (if you hit it against something). The third level is a special level of intelligence, I’m not sure what to name it, but it is when you are good at one thing and you find a way to relate that one thing to just about anything else. For example, I am good at martial arts and I can find a way to make it fit with math, my personality, books, music, nature, to…anything. The fourth level, natural intelligence, is a mysterious level, it is when you have had no prior experience or knowledge of something but somehow you naturally understand. The fifth level, gut intelligence, is almost like a sixth sense, it is when your gut tells you something that you had no way of knowing. The fifth and fourth level are not the same, they are actually quite different. The gut feeling will come without any stimuli, it will happen for no reason, but the forth level is needs stimuli. An example of the fifth level is, you are out at a party and all of a sudden you get a gut feeling that there is something wrong with your mother, but there is no reason for there to be anything wrong with her. You call home and no one answer, you later find out your mother was hospitalized because she ate something bad and had to have her stomach pumped. The sixth level of intelligence is the speed and efficiency a human progresses in when good at something. For example, I learned to ski like my parents’ friends who have been skiing their whole lives, by being on ski’ for the first time in my life and practicing for a half an hour. The sixth sense of intelligence only applies to your own ability progressing naturally, without anyone telling you what to do. The seventh level of intelligence is originality. The ability to be yourself and add your personality, abilities, and ideas to novel situations. It may be that the fourth level and the seventh level are the same. The eight level of intelligence is imagination (creativity). The ability to imagine things the way they are, should be, or could be. It take this level to be able to do previous levels of intelligence. The ninth level of intelligence is related to the second level (five sense intelligence), only that this intelligence is rarely ever thought about. It is an inborn (innate) intelligence that is very much a part of all our body parts. This intelligence is responsible for all motor movement, whether conscious or sub-conscious. When you walk, you are not consciously thinking about all the muscles to move, the angles to move them at, and the distance to move them to. It is all calculated sub-consciously. It can be done consciously, you can actually think to yourself to move your leg at a 45 degree angle at a speed of 1m/min creating an arc stretching 60 cm. But the two need to be demarcated. This intelligence is always with you and is always active in the back of your mind. This level defines your body language and your personality. The tenth level of intelligence is best described as curiousity. That which drives us to WANT to know. Without this, all the rest are useless, because they would never come into use from a lack of drive.

What’s your take?

woops, the above is by me.

Are you familiar withe Bloom’s Taxonomy and his levels of intelligence?

No I am not, but I would love to hear about it.

cce.iastate.edu/courses/ce48 … xonomy.htm

I don’t know if I agree with the hierarchy. I don’t see evaluation as displaying a higher level of intelligence than those below it (particularly since it’s described with regard to pre-defined criteria. Seems to me it then becomes a process of rule following, decomposable into, eventually, pure logic and the root of connectionism)