What are your favorite books about writing?

Hi,

What are your favorite books about writing? Doesn’t matter if they are about the craft in general, a specific aspect of writing, inspiration, etc. I’m just in the market to find some new books about writing, especially fiction.

Do you find these sort of books helpful?

Thanks!

Rlke"s letter to an aspiring poet. not yet but getting there and his stylistic affinity to Salinger.

And something by Salinger.
Perfect day for Bananafish. is explicit about Rilke"s influence. on Salinger,.

There is only one thing you need to know:
write with blood, or don’t write at all.

As long as it co-agulates in a timely fashion.

But in all seriousness and brevity aside , Your point well taken -for writing should bring its source alive and only through such life recaptured can honestly be revealed through actual lived experience.

I find that no sort of books is helpful when it comes to writing, unless you are someone who really needs help for writing. Are you one of them who need writing help?. If you are not on of them, then just start writing and see what happens. Good luck.

My pleasure. :slight_smile:

Will all the passion in the world which one could muster help if one does not know the craft or have skills?

What is wrong with learning from those who do know, those who are like gods when it comes to writing and those who have had success with writing?
Would you turn a blind eye to Shakespeare, Dickens, Dostoevsky, Keats, Shelley ad continuum?

When Freddie wrote this…

“Of all that is written, I love only what a person hath written with his blood. Write with blood, and thou wilt find that blood is spirit…"

Did he mean there that the individual did not need skills nor did he need to learn his craft?
Was passion and spirit alone enough?

on writing by stephen king