LaTeX Support Added

We’ve added support for LaTeX, a form of markup that will allow the use of logic and math symbols in posts. For example,

Math notation: (\int_0^\infty f(x) dx)

Logic notation: (\forall x , (x \rightarrow y) \rightarrow \exists y , ( \lnot y \rightarrow \lnot x))

You can also create equations centered in a post on their own line: $$ \texttt{Carleas} \equiv \texttt{marginally effective} $$
To invoke the interpreter, surround LaTeX code with either double dollar signs (for centered equtaions): $[size=100]$[/size] your Latex here $$,
Or for inline equations, use parentheses preceded by a backslash: [size=100]([/size] your Latex here )

Click ‘Quote’ on this post, or on fuse’s post here, to see some examples of how equations are formatted.

There are plenty of LaTeX tutorials out there, but if you find any you like please recommend them below.

Thanks Carleas. Any hope of modifying javascript to allow single $ delimiters for inline? I think you can specify that if I’m not mistaken. If it can’t be done no prob I can work around it.

ps – Nevermind I can fix this up easily at my end.

I think the single $ is too likely to be used for non-LaTeX purposes. It’s also harder to escape cleanly.

Two-character delimiters are easy to escape: wrap one of the characters in a [size] tag and MathJax ignores it:
[size=100][[/size]size=100]$[/size]$ ( \rightarrow ) [size=100]$[/size]$

[size=100] means 100% of regular size, i.e. regular size.

I’ve found tex.stackexchange.com/ very useful. Most responses there are more complicated than anything I’ve needed, but it’s a good place to look for examples of specific formatting.