Giving Up Cigarettes

Elevate form over function to get at less easily articulable truths.

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Arminius » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Ierrellus wrote:Part of me wants to smoke and drink; part of me doesn't want that. I went to an AA meeting for help. At the meeting, before and after, everyone was outside smoking. It wasn't a place I wanted to be.

I can imagine.

Do you think that you will overcome the urge of the part of you that wants to smoke and drink?

When I gave up cigarettes (more than eleven years ago) I did not have any urge or demand or desire to smoke or to drink. Perhaps it was just the fact that the time of giving up cigarettes had come; so it was easy to do it.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Carleas » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Good poem. I like the comparison of addiction and abusive love. Too often the anti-addiction sentiment ignores that there is love there, and while it's right to leave an abusive relationship, it's also healthy to grieve.

My aunt is dying too young of lung cancer, so count yourself lucky that you have lived long enough to escape. And stay strong.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Arminius » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:25 pm

Carleas, do or did you smoke?

Be honest!
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Carleas » Fri Oct 28, 2016 5:41 pm

I've never been addicted to cigarettes, though I've smoked many at varying frequencies throughout my adult life. I'm not sure why, but even when I would chain-smoke for weeks to get through finals, I had no problem stopping and no cravings afterward.

I do struggle with drinking, but I come from a family with a lot of alcoholism so I knew before I started that it was something to watch out for, and that vigilance has helped me keep it in check (mostly). Weed has been similar, though it's a lot less worrying as an addiction.

My worst addictions are fortunately fairly benign: TV, video games, internet trash. They're limiting, but they're also fairly socially acceptable. But as cravings they feel the same way booze feels: the need, the tug, the surge of blessed dopamine, the "just one more". And the prospect of quitting feels like breaking up, like losing a friend or family member, a part of my identity.

Thankfully, they won't kill me, they just stunt my personal and professional development.
User Control Panel > Board preference > Edit display options > Display signatures: No.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Arminius » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Carleas wrote:I've never been addicted to cigarettes, though I've smoked many at varying frequencies throughout my adult life. I'm not sure why, but even when I would chain-smoke for weeks to get through finals, I had no problem stopping and no cravings afterward.

I do struggle with drinking, but I come from a family with a lot of alcoholism so I knew before I started that it was something to watch out for, and that vigilance has helped me keep it in check (mostly). Weed has been similar, though it's a lot less worrying as an addiction.

My worst addictions are fortunately fairly benign: TV, video games, internet trash. They're limiting, but they're also fairly socially acceptable. But as cravings they feel the same way booze feels: the need, the tug, the surge of blessed dopamine, the "just one more". And the prospect of quitting feels like breaking up, like losing a friend or family member, a part of my identity.

Thankfully, they won't kill me, they just stunt my personal and professional development.

If you really can stop smoking so easily, why do you not stop smoking?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Carleas » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:53 pm

I think I was unclear when I answered the question. I would not say that I smoke. I've never smoked regularly for more than a couple months at a stretch, and usually much less; a few packs to get me through the late nights churning out final papers, but that would only last a week, maybe two, then I'd go another semester without buying a pack. I bum cigarettes when I'm hanging out with smokers, which is rare, maybe a few times a year.

I did vape consistently for a few months this year, but I stopped when my daughter was born without any problem. Vapes are significantly preferable to cigarettes, but I enjoy both and crave neither.
Carleas
Magister Ludi

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:06 am

Arminius wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:Still smoking over here. I'll quit maybe next year when I'm thirty. Not in a hurry quite yet.

Yes, that's ok. How many cigarrettes do you smoke per day?

Fifteen to eighteen.
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Mictlantecuhtli
Nihilistic Mystic And Hermit

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:12 pm

Carleas wrote:Good poem. I like the comparison of addiction and abusive love. Too often the anti-addiction sentiment ignores that there is love there, and while it's right to leave an abusive relationship, it's also healthy to grieve.

My aunt is dying too young of lung cancer, so count yourself lucky that you have lived long enough to escape. And stay strong.

Thanks for your understanding of my poem. Sorry to hear about your Aunt's condition.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:04 pm

Carleas wrote:I've never been addicted to cigarettes, though I've smoked many at varying frequencies throughout my adult life. I'm not sure why, but even when I would chain-smoke for weeks to get through finals, I had no problem stopping and no cravings afterward.

Yes, Amen, yet "Though it's a lot less worrying as an addiction?" An addiction nonetheless right? Yet I've never seen marijuana as lethal myself.............................................................. Ever.

I feel as though it's a more lenient addiction than any other smoke drug.
Ego sum via veritas et vita;Amesha Spenta;Vohu Mano;Joan of Arc, Ezekiel, and Thomas Aquinas;Behold, Pragmatism, Policy, and Proof-For those who need direction, allow my words of advice be enough guidance in this senseless world;There's still are those who remain in touch with the Galactic Directory, able to request and fulfill actions to help stop the Rot of Civilization:Zarathushtra Spitama-Thales-Heraclitus-Socrates-Meton of Athens-Plato-Diotima of Mantinea-Aristotle-Pythagoras-Pericles-Marcus Tullius Cicero-Claudius Ptolemy-Marcus Aurelius-Lucian- Hypatia-Niccolò Machiavelli-Benedito de Espinosa-Sir Isaac Newton-Voltaire-Jean-Jacques Rousseau-Immanuel Kant-Thomas Paine-John Locke-Henry David Thoreau-Florence Nightingale-Mahatma Gandhi-Peter G Bergmann-Petra Herrera-Oppenheimer-Jimmy Hoffa-Frank Sinatra-Pope Saint John Paul II-Elvis Aaron Presley-George Carlin-Martin Luther King Jr.-Jim Morrison-Aafia Siddiqui-Tupac-Asmaa Mahfouz-John Nash-Joaquin Guzman :shock: :arrow: :-$
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Arminius » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:19 am

HaHaHa wrote:
Arminius wrote:
HaHaHa wrote:Still smoking over here. I'll quit maybe next year when I'm thirty. Not in a hurry quite yet.

Yes, that's ok. How many cigarrettes do you smoke per day?

Fifteen to eighteen.

Okay. And what do you pay for those fifteen to eighteen cigarettes?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:34 am

A lot! I would assume....
Ego sum via veritas et vita;Amesha Spenta;Vohu Mano;Joan of Arc, Ezekiel, and Thomas Aquinas;Behold, Pragmatism, Policy, and Proof-For those who need direction, allow my words of advice be enough guidance in this senseless world;There's still are those who remain in touch with the Galactic Directory, able to request and fulfill actions to help stop the Rot of Civilization:Zarathushtra Spitama-Thales-Heraclitus-Socrates-Meton of Athens-Plato-Diotima of Mantinea-Aristotle-Pythagoras-Pericles-Marcus Tullius Cicero-Claudius Ptolemy-Marcus Aurelius-Lucian- Hypatia-Niccolò Machiavelli-Benedito de Espinosa-Sir Isaac Newton-Voltaire-Jean-Jacques Rousseau-Immanuel Kant-Thomas Paine-John Locke-Henry David Thoreau-Florence Nightingale-Mahatma Gandhi-Peter G Bergmann-Petra Herrera-Oppenheimer-Jimmy Hoffa-Frank Sinatra-Pope Saint John Paul II-Elvis Aaron Presley-George Carlin-Martin Luther King Jr.-Jim Morrison-Aafia Siddiqui-Tupac-Asmaa Mahfouz-John Nash-Joaquin Guzman :shock: :arrow: :-$
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Arminius » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:42 am

Cigarettes have become very expensive. Haven't they?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Tue Nov 01, 2016 5:20 am

Too expensive if you ask me.... All Hail E-Cigs
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Arminius » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:53 pm

Do you know the prices for cigarettes in the USA?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:48 pm

5 - 8 dollars
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Arminius » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:51 pm

For how many cigarettes?
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:20 pm

I'd say you get about the same amount which would be 20 yet you pay for flavor and product so .... That's why the price ranges
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Arminius » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:28 pm

5 - 8 dollars for 20 cigarettes (resp.: 25 - 40 cents for 1 cigarette) - that is quite expensive, especially if one compares that price with the price of the past.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:46 pm

Definitely
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:47 pm

Almost makes me lose this brain in my head! :angry-jumpinganger:
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:48 pm

Inflation is the source of all this! Attack the Inflation!!!!
Pneumatic-Coma

Postby Arminius » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:01 pm

Yes. 8)

I attack the inflation by consuming less than I would without inflation.
Arminius
ILP Legend

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:45 pm

:character-megaman: :character-yoshi: :obscene-smokingpimp: :icon-ugeek: We'll get em! Mock my words... We'll get 'em!
Pneumatic-Coma

Previous

Return to Creative Writing