Giving Up Cigarettes

Elevate form over function to get at less easily articulable truths.

Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:10 pm

I was a teen when I first met
The demon lover--cigarette.
I was a teen; I was a fool;
But he was popular and cool--

For he was loved by movie stars
And soldiers sipping beer in bars.
No surgeon general warned of death
For those of us who breathed his breath.

At his first kiss I coughed and choked;
But, being obstinate, I smoked.
This was no friendship formed in haste;
I had to cultivate his taste.

He followed me for fifty years,
With food or drink, with joy or tears.
Through good relationships and bad
He was the closest friend I had.

Now as I try to break his spell,
He tortures me with living hell;
But time can heal 'till I won't miss
His intimate and toxic kiss.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:01 am

Enjoyed your poem. Quitting strengthens one's willpower tremendously.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 4509
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:50 pm

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Enjoyed your poem. Quitting strengthens one's willpower tremendously.

Thanks. I've read that it takes 72 hours to get the nicotine out of one's system and about 90 days to rid oneself of the psychological dependency. I've not had a cigarette so far today (Sept. 20th); but I feel the torture of the devils of addiction already. I must get past the urge.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby WendyDarling » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:50 pm

Nearly six years have passed and the desire remains. The actual separation took two weeks initially then an additional six months or so following to wrap it up.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 4509
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:56 pm

I did a three week separation. During the first week I smoked 1 cigarette per waking hour. During the second week I increased the time between smokes. During the third week I was down to 3 cigarettes per day. I figured I could quit at that rate. The urge gets strongest after I eat or drink something. At those times I try to find a distraction from the craving. So far, so good. One smoke free day so far. May I add to it.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:59 pm

Stick with it Ierr. You are definitely gonna be jonesing for a good bit. Avoid the people who are known to cause stress. If coffee and cigs were your thing, now you export your tastes to hot tea or cocoa. Change other parts of your routine that included cigarettes. PM me if you're struggling. :happy-smileyflower:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 4509
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:56 pm

The demons wail as if I were torturing someone I love. Day 4---I sleep well. Fill the new pockets of desperate time with Vonnegut. Indulge in ice cream and Werthers. Hell comes from the thought that I am giving up something after having had to give up so much. But that's the adversary's rant. Day 4 hurts from losses of loved people, places, things.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:53 am

Maniacal Mongoose wrote:Enjoyed your poem. Quitting strengthens one's willpower tremendously.


Indeed, try and think of it as a long term gift to oneself. pointing that out take time for yourself and not your habit. I wish you much luck and the best with it.
Ego sum via veritas et vita;Amesha Spenta;Vohu Mano;Joan of Arc, Ezekiel, and Thomas Aquinas;Behold, Pragmatism, Policy, and Proof-For those who need direction, allow my words of advice be enough guidance in this senseless world;There's still are those who remain in touch with the Galactic Directory, able to request and fulfill actions to help stop the Rot of Civilization:Zarathushtra Spitama-Thales-Heraclitus-Socrates-Meton of Athens-Plato-Diotima of Mantinea-Aristotle-Pythagoras-Pericles-Marcus Tullius Cicero-Claudius Ptolemy-Marcus Aurelius-Lucian- Hypatia-Niccolò Machiavelli-Benedito de Espinosa-Sir Isaac Newton-Voltaire-Jean-Jacques Rousseau-Immanuel Kant-Thomas Paine-John Locke-Henry David Thoreau-Florence Nightingale-Mahatma Gandhi-Peter G Bergmann-Petra Herrera-Oppenheimer-Jimmy Hoffa-Frank Sinatra-Pope Saint John Paul II-Elvis Aaron Presley-George Carlin-Martin Luther King Jr.-Jim Morrison-Aafia Siddiqui-Tupac-Asmaa Mahfouz-John Nash-Joaquin Guzman :shock: :arrow: :-$
User avatar
Pneumatic-Coma
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Fri Oct 07, 2016 2:54 am

Ierrellus wrote:The demons wail as if I were torturing someone I love. Day 4---I sleep well. Fill the new pockets of desperate time with Vonnegut. Indulge in ice cream and Werthers. Hell comes from the thought that I am giving up something after having had to give up so much. But that's the adversary's rant. Day 4 hurts from losses of loved people, places, things.


Breathtaking yet almost made me wanna break down... [-o<
Ego sum via veritas et vita;Amesha Spenta;Vohu Mano;Joan of Arc, Ezekiel, and Thomas Aquinas;Behold, Pragmatism, Policy, and Proof-For those who need direction, allow my words of advice be enough guidance in this senseless world;There's still are those who remain in touch with the Galactic Directory, able to request and fulfill actions to help stop the Rot of Civilization:Zarathushtra Spitama-Thales-Heraclitus-Socrates-Meton of Athens-Plato-Diotima of Mantinea-Aristotle-Pythagoras-Pericles-Marcus Tullius Cicero-Claudius Ptolemy-Marcus Aurelius-Lucian- Hypatia-Niccolò Machiavelli-Benedito de Espinosa-Sir Isaac Newton-Voltaire-Jean-Jacques Rousseau-Immanuel Kant-Thomas Paine-John Locke-Henry David Thoreau-Florence Nightingale-Mahatma Gandhi-Peter G Bergmann-Petra Herrera-Oppenheimer-Jimmy Hoffa-Frank Sinatra-Pope Saint John Paul II-Elvis Aaron Presley-George Carlin-Martin Luther King Jr.-Jim Morrison-Aafia Siddiqui-Tupac-Asmaa Mahfouz-John Nash-Joaquin Guzman :shock: :arrow: :-$
User avatar
Pneumatic-Coma
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:10 pm

3 weeks, 4 days--no cigarettes. Still wish I had one.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Meno_ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:28 pm

And then there is the sobering thought, which helps to overcome longing of another day- what if You don't quit? With me it s liquor, and we all know the consequences of defying sobriety.
Meno_
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2086
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:39 am

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Arminius » Sun Oct 16, 2016 3:32 pm

Ierrelus, if it is true that you are now 74 years old and still smoke, then I ask you: Did you never have some problems because of your smoking when you were some years younger?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5067
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby WendyDarling » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:30 am

Congratulations Ierr! :happy-partydance:
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 4509
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Arminius wrote:Ierrelus, if it is true that you are now 74 years old and still smoke, then I ask you: Did you never have some problems because of your smoking when you were some years younger?

Not really. The problems now are expense and rhinitis.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Arminius » Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:39 am

Ierrellus wrote:
Arminius wrote:Ierrelus, if it is true that you are now 74 years old and still smoke, then I ask you: Did you never have some problems because of your smoking when you were some years younger?

Not really. The problems now are expense and rhinitis.

Do you really want to give up smoking or not?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5067
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:56 pm

Arminius wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:
Arminius wrote:Ierrelus, if it is true that you are now 74 years old and still smoke, then I ask you: Did you never have some problems because of your smoking when you were some years younger?

Not really. The problems now are expense and rhinitis.

Do you really want to give up smoking or not?

Yes. But this habit is a major demon. Each attachment, mental or physical, to smoking has become a hungry mouth, screaming for its erstwhile satiety.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Arminius » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:47 am

It is not easy for you to give up smoking. Right?

When I - as a moderate or average smoker - gave up smoking in 2005, I first did not intend to give it up but to just smoke less, and after some weeks I smoked merely a very few cigarettes, then I thought „if so, then I can also smoke no cigarettes“. The whole process took merely some weeks. It began without the intention of giving it all up, and then it just happened with a little help of my friend: logic.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5067
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:37 pm

jerkey wrote:And then there is the sobering thought, which helps to overcome longing of another day- what if You don't quit? With me it s liquor, and we all know the consequences of defying sobriety.

It's been eight weeks and five days since I had my last taste of alcohol--this after at least a quart of beer per day for over 45 years. For me the alcohol was no problem to give up, but the cigarettes were and are.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Arminius wrote:It is not easy for you to give up smoking. Right?

When I - as a moderate or average smoker - gave up smoking in 2005, I first did not intend to give it up but to just smoke less, and after some weeks I smoked merely a very few cigarettes, then I thought „if so, then I can also smoke no cigarettes“. The whole process took merely some weeks. It began without the intention of giving it all up, and then it just happened with a little help of my friend: logic.

My method for giving up cigarettes was a three-week program. During the first week I smoked one per hour and increased the time between smokes in weeks two and three until I was down to three per day. So far I've gone four weeks and three days without a smoke.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Arminius » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:08 pm

Ierrellus wrote:
Arminius wrote:It is not easy for you to give up smoking. Right?

When I - as a moderate or average smoker - gave up smoking in 2005, I first did not intend to give it up but to just smoke less, and after some weeks I smoked merely a very few cigarettes, then I thought „if so, then I can also smoke no cigarettes“. The whole process took merely some weeks. It began without the intention of giving it all up, and then it just happened with a little help of my friend: logic.

My method for giving up cigarettes was a three-week program. During the first week I smoked one per hour and increased the time between smokes in weeks two and three until I was down to three per day. So far I've gone four weeks and three days without a smoke.

But you still smoke.
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5067
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Mictlantecuhtli » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:16 am

Still smoking over here. I'll quit maybe next year when I'm thirty. Not in a hurry quite yet.
Civilization is a ship of fools headed to a one way destination of catastrophe and annihilation, its many captains populated by asshole-idiots that all agree it is unsinkable.

Image
User avatar
Mictlantecuhtli
Nihilistic Mystic And Hermit
 
Posts: 7202
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:31 am
Location: Concrete Wilderness.

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:21 pm

Arminius wrote:
Ierrellus wrote:
Arminius wrote:It is not easy for you to give up smoking. Right?

When I - as a moderate or average smoker - gave up smoking in 2005, I first did not intend to give it up but to just smoke less, and after some weeks I smoked merely a very few cigarettes, then I thought „if so, then I can also smoke no cigarettes“. The whole process took merely some weeks. It began without the intention of giving it all up, and then it just happened with a little help of my friend: logic.

My method for giving up cigarettes was a three-week program. During the first week I smoked one per hour and increased the time between smokes in weeks two and three until I was down to three per day. So far I've gone four weeks and three days without a smoke.

But you still smoke.

No I do not smoke. 5 weeks, 1 day--absolutely no tobacco. Funny thing, I dream I'm smoking and drinking. The dreams are vivid.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Arminius » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:52 am

HaHaHa wrote:Still smoking over here. I'll quit maybe next year when I'm thirty. Not in a hurry quite yet.

Yes, that's ok. How many cigarrettes do you smoke per day?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5067
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Arminius » Fri Oct 28, 2016 3:57 am

Ierrellus wrote:
Arminius wrote:But you still smoke.

No I do not smoke. 5 weeks, 1 day--absolutely no tobacco.

Welcome to the non-smoking club then.

Ierrellus wrote:Funny thing, I dream I'm smoking and drinking. The dreams are vivid.

Funny thing - in fact. :)

You want to smoke and drink again. Right?
Image
User avatar
Arminius
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 5067
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Saltus Teutoburgiensis

Re: Giving Up Cigarettes

Postby Ierrellus » Fri Oct 28, 2016 1:52 pm

Part of me wants to smoke and drink; part of me doesn't want that. I went to an AA meeting for help. At the meeting, before and after, everyone was outside smoking. It wasn't a place I wanted to be.
"We must love one another or die." W.H.Auden
I admit I'm an asshole. Now, can we get back to the conversation?
From the mad poet of McKinley Ave.
Ierrellus
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 12208
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:52 pm
Location: state of evolving

Next

Return to Creative Writing



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot]