The Art of Art

The practice of mastering an art form is synchronous with that of mastery of self. Your body and mind are the tools that art uses to create itself. Some artists are so natural at what they do that it doesnt occur to them to analyze the process. The first step to controlled and effortlessly in-depth art in any form is to calm your own inner storm to be able to drift between the conscious and subconscious aspects of the mind. I say first step but the truth is that art and life are a constant juggling act. Its a lifelong commitment to a passion and it teaches patience and how to deal with so many things. Life inspires art inspires life for life is an art and is my favorite form of it, other than words.

Creating art is in the moment, but some or most or all of your life went into procuring that moment. Be in the moment when the moment hits, but explore the inner and outer worlds when you arent. All of it makes your art that much better. All the better to truly create and blend and flow with life and nature to create authentic and quality work. I dont like to force my art because then it becomes contrived. I also dont want a bunch of art ‘clones’ where a theme or form becomes boring or overplayed. Art is like life, like nature-intricate and varied.

Jackson Pollock’s paintings were described by critic Harold Rosenberg as “action painting”. Pollock rarely permitted the brush to directly touch the canvas. “On the floor I am more at ease,” he said. “I feel nearer, more a part of the painting, since this way I can walk around it, work from the four sides and literally be in the painting.” Pollock’s work thus became as much about process as they were about product. They became a record of the performance of painting - his play in and around the canvas, where he could enter them as a participant and hover above them as their creator. “There is no accident,” Pollock once said, “just as there is no beginning or end… Sometimes I lose a painting, but I have no fear of changes, of destroying the image, because a painting has a life of its own.”

Pollock never really lost his interest in figurative imagery - as he once put it, “I’m very representational some of the time, and a little all of the time. But when you’re painting out of your unconscious, figures are bound to emerge.”

To borrow critic Harold Rosenberg’s words, Pollock had re-imagined the canvas not as “a space in which to reproduce, re-design, analyze, or ‘express’ an object… [but as] an arena in which to act.”

Let’s see your art. It’s probably rubbish anyway.

I would say that aside from being an arena, art is a stage- a lover you want to seduce, an enemy you wish to incite, etc. It may be a building that draws people to it, or a new game- a portrait scene of love as war or a poem pitched in a certain tone with its own message. Everything is everything and even war is an art. The closest we get to the hand of God is understanding the underlying flow and cadence of an art and how it connects to other forms to create the greatest and even the understanding of such is an art. Conversation is an art that suffers a lot for the suffering of other arts. Trixie, read my thread Pen Powered Insanity for some of my art. Ive been demonstrating and creating the major parts of my art all throughout these boards, though. Youve been a part of some of it recently as we quarreled. Ive been using the internet for the past 14 years to lay the groundwork for my long term masterpiece- Heaven and peace on earth. I think it will be rather beautiful when its done, but it requires patience.

Nooooooooo! Please no! Anything but that!

lmao, I know, right? God forbid that we are enabled to fully enjoy and appreciate life. Truly a fate worse than death. Its the worst that a person can dare to be- to actually love life where so many have hated it, to defy the crowd, the flow of society. My demons are satisfied because they still get to play a part before the ascension. Its a truly brilliant cosmic show and I did not craft it on my own. Every genius that had failed to see, every person that wished beyond hope for an impossibility, the unheard prayers of deluded faithful- even the worst that just want to be sure of our strength. They berate and tear me up at the same time as whispering, ‘dont you dare quit. We need this.’ Every time I think about quitting, I think again and keep going for all those that could not. How to solve the things they say are impossible. Tricky.

I mean I don’t want to fully enjoy it. I feel the greatest joy when I accomplish something that is difficult, and without some amount of struggle and conflict, nothing would be difficult.

Peace and equality on earth would be precisely this lacking of difficulty, no?

Not at all. It’s why I started fully devoting myself to this challenge. Its the only one I was left with. Its the biggest problem to be solved before we go into the future. There will still be hurdles to overcome, bv a lot of the stress and negativity will be gone. Im not a fan of the futility closet and broke the shit out of it. The future I envision is specifically designed to keep us entertained in all facets and erase the most deprave by weening them off of unwholesome addictions that put negativity in us all, like rape and murder. Some lesser addictions will have to be accepted for a while. Its a long term rehabilitation plan for our species and beyond that? There are no limits.

I used to say that I wouldnt be able to live in a perfect world, I would question it. Now I say that we wouldnt be able to do so unless we earned it our selves and it was fair to everyone equally. We would custom tune it as we went and the greatest challenge would be creation in so many forms. Why should we settle for losing sight of our own divinity? I weaved myself into reality and chose a destiny and a fate that were mine to accept. I give tribute to both God and the Devil as equal and friend. I really dont think we’re set up to lose if we play it straight. That’s the whole point of ‘the game’- we’re all crooks here and the only way we would ever start caring about doing things right was to spend time in the box, the futility closet. Otherwise we keep seeing the same results recursively self-destroying. Not fun and its where the worst nightmares come from. We each have to face that, in this life or the next. Humanity has been trying to run back to ignorance. Can’t happen- thats what causes madness.

I know a thing or two about madness. I watched a movie where things actually changed as I interacted with it with my mind. Last year I calmed a storm of over 5000 lightning bolts by hitting my center of calm and peace as I went out into my fears. I held conversation with others on these boards during a moment of synchronicity and many of the posts were deleted after out of fear. I experienced reality unraveled and became myself through it. There is a limit to how much we want to be challenged, trust me.

I love Jackson Pollock’s work. There was a time when it left me cold. I couldn’t understand it. But later on I grew to appreciate it. His paintings draw me in. It was the same as Ravel’s Bolero. Everytime I listen to it, I hear more that is different. It is beautiful. I’m not comparing Pollock to Ravel…just my own process of change.

This is one of the reasons I love Pollock’s work. It’s a journey of discovery into one’s own unconscious and contemplating/reflecting on his paintings can conjure up all kinds of images, subjective truths or realizations behind or within them - beauty and mystery.

Pollock.jpg

Beautiful color, mystery, chaos - no beginning or end. What do YOU see?

This thinking represents the received wisdom of the ages, including that found in the Tarot and hermetic Christianity. You have pretty much described the card of the Magician in the Marseilles Tarot.

You should read the book The Night Circus. You would enjoy it.

Garbage. My blender could produce a better work of art.

This modern crap is a reflection of the spirit of the age that produces it, as is modern music. There is no technical skill, no rigidity or definition in this crap, and I could do it with my eyes closed. So it can’t be good art, because I could do it, and I’m a terrible artist.

:confused: Do you really think that you could produce something like that? And with your eyes closed. I challenge you to try it. See how easy it is for you.

If you could replicate this, then you would disprove your own thought of being a terrible artist. You couldn’t.
But its not even about that - don’t replicate it. Put something on canvas that would speak to me in the same way that his paintings do.
Of course, art is highly subjective. But it isn’t seen only with the eyes but with the inner eye[s]. I imagine that you are a reflecting person. Are you a seeker? Do you like a mystery? Do you like to read between the lines to discover what’s there?

Do you like classical music, Zooty? Look at the picture and tell me what it reminds you of…if you please.

“[b]Jackson Pollock’s New Style:” The Poured Paintings and the Black Pourings

Pollock showed little talent to set him apart from others until 1947, when he developed a radical new style, his pour technique (Varnedoe and Karmel 101). To create these “poured paintings,” Pollock worked with an unstretched canvas spread across the floor or against a wall, rather than painting on the traditional easel (Karmel 17). Instead of a paintbrush, Pollock worked with sticks, trowels, and knives, dripping and flinging diluted commercial paint across the canvas (Karmel 18).

Pollock’s poured paintings reflected the concept of allover composition, treating every square inch of canvas with equal prominence, so that there would be no center of attention or subject in the painting (Cernuschi 271). This idea is central to most of Pollock’s best-known artworks.

The style and technique of creating these paintings must have felt liberating. Without a particular figure to put on the canvas, Pollock was free to let the picture take form without any restrictions, allowing spontaneity and physical freedom in the painting process. As a result, the significance of Pollock’s art comes more from the action or the progression of painting, rather than the contemplation over the work, or even the final product (White 25).

And yet Pollock’s art was certainly not the result of thoughtless paint splattering. He would often pause his painting for hours, considering the blank canvas or the work in progress. His wife Lee Krasner commented that “his control was amazing” (Cernuschi 128). Pollock emphasized this point when he said, “The painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come though. It is only when I lose contact with the painting that the result is a mess. Otherwise there is pure harmony, an easy give and take, and the painting comes out well” (Karmel 18). [/b]

public.wsu.edu/~kimander/pollock.htm

It might fit in with what could be termed magical theatre, here also thinking of The Tempest and
Steppenwolf. I do consider Shakespeare and Hesse to be master magicians of literature as well,
jongleurs of language and the art of the stage as conjured out of timeless libraries. We English
speaking aficionados of art and literature appear to owe a great debt to the likes of John Dee
and the mystical hermeticism that can be seen in books and the cards, whose major source
just happens to be the Magician. I could move into Faust here also, since there also seems
to be an Egyptian and alchemical source there too. The question then becomes: what is the
price of that effortless, pre-conscious juggling and magic that goes into great artistry? Great
artists have grappled with that question for centuries, the greatest of these probably being
Thomas Mann as the inheritor of the long-standing Faustian legend and its German inflection
as it moved into and out of Nazism. Where the legend stands now probably has more to do
with corporate wealth and power now in that it is like, any form of art, a plastic and amorphous
piece of clay subject to the collective unconscious or egregore of its time.

Yes, but it would be different only in the way that one mess is different than another mess.

Forget it. I have trouble drawing stick men.

Yes, when I have to wear a safety vest while working I reflect quite a bit, especially at night.

No. Everything is immanently present and at once. Nothing has to be sought.

Only if Angela Lansbury is involved.

Yes. More lines.

Yeah, but I never listen to it.

Looks to me like shattered stained glass from a church window as a result of the painter dropping his paint can onto the head of the window installer next to him, knocking him out and sending him crashing through the glass.

Zoot Allures

That’s just your perception. Mine is that it is not a mess. Perhaps if there actually IS/WAS deliberate actual design in the creation of the universe, a creator’s way was the way of Pollock…just giving way to a musing.

And yet you’re so critical of his art. Hypocrit! :stuck_out_tongue:

lol Does that make you the reflector or the reflectee?

Well, perhaps my question ought to have been: Are you an archaeologist? Don’t you like to dig deeper into reality?
But I do see your point too. Sometimes just the seeing is enough - everything actually.
But then again, on the other side of that coin, it is one thing to see but another thing to understand what you’re looking at.

lol You’re like a comedy unto yourself.

Then you need to read between THOSE lines til you get to the meaning.

Why, are you afraid it might inspire you too much? :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll put in the =D> before the :laughing: See, you made it come alive for yourself.
Just imagine the shattered stained glass. How beautiful that can be - pieces randomly falling here and there reflecting the sunlight or the moonlight…recreating yet another story.
Stand back even further. What else do you see? It is only through the distance between things that they can be seen more clearly.

Then why the heck did you ask me?

“We need not worry for a moment about the hypothesis of a created world. The concept “create” is today completely indefinable, unrealizable; merely a word, a rudimentary survival from the ages of superstition; one can explain nothing with a mere word.”- Nietzsche

Not exactly. In this case, I would be a hypocrite only if I did not also permit Pollock to be critical of art. I have not done this.

Tried that. More lines.

I’m afraid I might fall asleep.

Kay I’m gonna go do something else now.