we’re falling
like an angel’s sigh
from a cloud on high
we’re falling
not afraid to die
we’re silent
and isn’t it the prettiest music
in a long time

I don’t like this poem Gamer because I feel like its telling me to shut up for once. Listen, I average three posts per twenty-four hours at ILP. There are people here who go on for hours at a time every day.

Anyway that poem was ghastly. I don’t like feeling dead before death… that poem is a bittersweet surrendering of the end before the end, of giving up before the end. Of shutting up and going quietly. Its hopelessly defeatist and the volume literally when down through the soft stanzas as I was reading it. I felt like I was falling.

You see, I am a futurist and I repudiate silence, minimalism, and regressive nihilism of any kind and expressed in any medium. Silence is disingenuous. Noise, feedback, activity and current, information and interference, always in motion and increasing complexity. All forms of expression in defiance of the silence and emptiness you propose!

“They (Futurists) repudiated the cult of the past and all imitation, praised originality, “however daring, however violent”, bore proudly “the smear of madness”, dismissed art critics as useless, rebelled against harmony and good taste, swept away all the themes and subjects of all previous art, and gloried in science.”

Hi Gamer,

Silence is truth. It is quintessential mindfulness. No need to postulate or pontificate, it is to be among all the being as…

gamer

Beautiful poem!

Does being unafraid to die make one unafraid to live? Or is that just some Viking/Nietzschean nonsense lol?

It seems like a horrible thing, that we are born into the storm only to reach the conclusion that we shouldn’t exist. Only an idiotic creator god would devise a reality like that.

In druidism ‘space’ is seen as both empty/transparent and ‘full’ a blackness which is an emotional pool of fear and despair, the very thing of horror. The mind is hung between divinity [space/transparency] and blackness, so we get thoughts deriving from both sources.

Nice poem. “Silence is golden. but-----”

Zoot we are more alike than u think. The poem is not normative. It’s sad. But sometimes I get sad. The saddest thing of all, is to learn to find a kind of joy in sadness. To make sadness your new universe and then have a spectrum that runs from happy to sad within that new universe. Making silence your new genre of music and having all your songs be variants of silence – that’s too hard to express in any other way than a poem. Or a song in this case. I can try to sing it with guitar into my iPhone but I’m not good. I’m more of a writer than a performing artist. But I’d be happy to post a link. As you say, it’s better than remaining silent. Or perhaps not.

Gamer,

This poem leaves You on the ledge. Falling is is very meta symbolic, utilizing the fallenness what seems to me again is the pre-verbial state of Being. It is pretty, butm expreses despair, futility.

there s a place for futility and despair in the human condition. We don’t want it to be there, but it is there.
there’s nothing wrong (and perhaps something very right) with simply acknowledging it and even being okay with it, for fleeting moments.
to let the voices go silent and just be. it’s the voices, after all, telling us what is bad and good, when we should be
happy or sad. With silence, things just are. We can actually look at our consciousness itself as a painting on a wall
and maybe even sigh at its beauty and sheer reality. there is something quite beautiful about the lack of commentary.

this is a thorny truth to demonstrate in words. :slight_smile:

when you can’t really explain with words, you switch to poetry.
When poetry fails, you add music – an emotional truth that transcends words.
but even that fails.
perhaps the truth can only be glimpsed through meditation.
but short of hearing the song, this effort posted is not going to be fully grasped

Yeah. Youre not escaping love and happiness that easily. Sorry, dude.

You should check out my new thread, ‘forced perceptions’. We can use learning how to untangle from each other so we dont hit those walls where it seems hopeless.

There are so many beautiful words.
I happen to think melancholia is a drop dead gorgeous word. I have no problem with melancholic art. I have no problem
With darth vader as entertainment. I have no problem handing a microphone to sadness and letting it sing us a song and taking the microphone back and giving it to happiness. I’m sorry things are so binary to you that you can’t experience the beauty I’m experiencing when I experience healthy soul sickness. I didn’t have to give up on life and joy to birth that poem or enjoy singing it. But by rejecting it categorically, I am positive u r giving up something.

No, you misunderstood me. Thats not what I meant. The poem is good, Im just saying that you didnt escape the problem in that route. Appreciate the beauty, but be in reality as well. It is not binary to think that we need that, but not in that way. We’re not trying to tempt people into that seductive sadness which some love too much, but to make them content to appreciate the same love of beauty in a world able to overcome that tempting song. It leads us to give up before we’re dead.

Let me tell you how you didnt escape love. Even if you turn the voices off, tune out your heart, ignore your gut, etc, you still feel it around the edges. Do as many drugs as you want, but if you survive long enough even they dont work anymore. You can feel the loss and then even more by seeing it still there in others. It’s rather how I escaped the box I was stuck in in a certain forced perception. I teleported out spiritually to a better moment, and just got the update. I teleported instantaneously and time traveled in the process. Instinctive and accurate. I spent the past year living as a soulless creature and didnt even note the difference until now.

OK, maybe you know me better than I thought you did.

I don’t think the poem is all that healthy. It is a bit of a siren song.
It is a bit angry. You saw that.

Still felt good to write it though.

I am so hot. Even my anger is beautiful.

But that’s not going to be enough, is it. phuk you

Kind of reminds me of “It is not that you’re afraid of what you cannot see in the darkness. You are afraid of what the darkness may see in you.”

the darkness doesn’t give two shits about what’s in you. that much i know. i’m afraid of what it will feel like to grow old and die. hopefully it will be merely uncomfortable but not miserable.

I agree on many levels. The goody goody optimist, the look of the winner, is such a bore. Onethingi noticed here in Poland, the authentic look, the free giving, is real. Western values created masks of purveyed hapiness, artificial masks with built in approbation, of,what that means.

The last Romanti was Shopenhauer-Goethe, who had inscribed a reality of truth within their countenance.

So sad, that’s gone for the most part, and so doubly sad, that it’s resiliance broken, at such horrendous sacrifce.

I am afraid, we shall never be able to be silent about the noise that particular avalanche gathered in it’s wake. That is what it meant to all of us, and the loss is immersurable.

Silence is the way of the hermit, the Hermiticism that as an idea, can not recapture.

The tears of rivers, can not absolve, the transgressions toward even one soul, as they are in some strange way, singularly counted.

I agree on many levels. The goody goody optimist, the look of the winner, is such a bore. Onethingi noticed here in Poland, the authentic look, the free giving, is real. Western values created masks of purveyed hapiness, artificial masks with built in approbation, of,what that means.

The last Romanti was Shopenhauer-Goethe, who had inscribed a reality of truth within their countenance.

So sad, that’s gone for the most part, and so doubly sad, that it’s resiliance broken, at such horrendous sacrifce.

I am afraid, we shall never be able to be silent about the noise that particular avalanche gathered in it’s wake. That is what it meant to all of us, and the loss is immersurable.

Silence is the way of the hermit, the Hermiticism that as an idea, can not recapture.

The tears of rivers, can not absolve, the transgressions toward even one soul, as they are in some strange way, singularly counted.

I feel and fear for these Chopaniesque Poles, lest they be virally infected, the last bastion of innoscence.

there are some neat wordings in there, each tear in the river is singularly counted. I love that. It reminds of every blade of grass has its guardian angel, from the Talmud.

I believe in this universe every emotion is like a note in a sacred song, and God has a good enough ear to hear and savor every note, similar to how we can savor both major and minor scales, along with so many variants and modes of the two. And we have the ability t play the silences, the rests, just like a brilliant performer, or a great composer. John Cage, a respected composer, went as far as writing a piece called 4.33, which is four minutes and 33 seconds of silence, in front of a live audience. It’s dazzling, because you are forced to hear the room ambience, the breathing and coughs, etc. It is music, and our silence, too, is always music that we can hear without our own vocal chords getting in the way.

I have heard that Americans smile too much that it comes off as phony and sad to europeans, especially western europe and russia. Part of it is America, for all its flaws, is a really happy place. The whole economy is geared toward easily accessible, if not fleeting and shallow, happiness. We have a lot to actually smile about, at least when we’re not working.

Also, America enjoyed something of a love/hippie sexual revolution in the 60s and 70s, along with a lot of drugs, and ideologues proposed from everyone from timothy leary to kerouac to sonny and cher to jonny carson and everyone in between. This left an indelible stamp of a sense of love, camaraderie and openness on American social fabric. There is neurolinguistic programming that talks place when you use positive words, and neurophysical programming when you smile. This is proven. Smiling releases endorphins and improves your mood, in yourself and others. It is possible that the unfortunate political systems in places in Russia and western europe strayed from the smile in past centuries and had good reason to. A smile in Poland is indeed phony. A smile in the USA usually isn’t. It is, at worst, an effort to feel better, and make others feel better. There is nothing wrong with that.

A plastic manipulative smile is something else. Americans hate those. It’s usually pretty obvious because people aren’t smiling with their eyes.