Ulysses by James Joyce: A Critical Review

Ulysses by James Joyce: A Critical Review

It’s long. It’s not as long as, say, Moby Dick, but that comparison brings me to a useful analogy: It’s well-known that John Bonham of Led Zeppelin fame would break into a drum solo during the live playing of the group’s song “Moby Dick” that would last upwards of thirty minutes or more. What’s less well-known (and yet I have it on good authority from a friend of mine who attended a Led Zep concert on more than one occasion during the band’s heyday) is that the only people at the concert enjoying Bonham’s solo were Bonham himself, and that portion of the audience that was stoned out of its collective mind.

The analogy is this: think of Bonham as James Joyce writing Ulysses. Think of the stoned audience as the literati.

(By the way, I had a rather illiterate uncle who once remarked, during a rare family discussion about books, that for the longest time, he thought Moby Dick was a venereal disease. Now I can’t think of Melville’s classic without thinking of that uncle.)

I’ve managed to avoid reading Ulysses my whole life but eventually took the plunge. I’m not sure why exactly. I suppose, because I write for a living, that I thought I should read the book generally regarded as the greatest book of the twentieth century, if not the greatest book of all time. And let me start by saying this: Ulysses is amazing. It’s pure genius. It’s an astonishing, staggering, remarkable work.

It’s also ridiculous.

Look, I can appreciate the influence of this book on modernism. I’m a Hemingway disciple, for crying out loud. I make a pilgrimage annually to his house in Key West. I know what Hemingway thought of Joyce – what all the modernists thought of him. Joyce showed there are other ways to write. He broke the rules. Literature changed forever after Ulysses (and the preceding A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man and the subsequent Finnegans Wake). There is the literature before Joyce, and then there is the literature after Joyce. So stipulated.

But the manner of the book…the way in which it is structured…

Okay, let’s start with the good. There are essentially three main characters (four if you count the backdrop city of Dublin, which many people do): Leopold Bloom, Stephen Dedalus, and Molly Bloom (Leopold’s wife). The beauty of the story is that these are everyday people, nobody more so than Bloom who is perhaps literature’s all-time greatest Everyman. Joyce, in other words, chose to write a book with Everyman as the hero. Bloom’s journey through a single day – June 16th, 1904 (June 16th is now celebrated worldwide, especially in Dublin, as “Bloomsday”) – is roughly correlated with the journey of Ulysses in the Odyssey. In truth, there is more of Shakespeare in Ulysses than Homer. Regardless, this concept of elevating the Everyman to Hero (or protagonist, strictly speaking) is a staple now of modernism. (Attaching myth, incidentally, to the everyday, is really what myth is all about. It’s no accident that Joseph Campbell loved Joyce.)

Ordinary people living an ordinary day. The reader can relate. In this respect, the book is fine (and obviously significant in its capacity to influence, to this day). The problem is in the telling. It’s not the prose, in and of itself. Joyce showed that he was a master of prose. It is, rather, in the style or, significantly, styles. I read the book with a pen in hand, marking comments in the margins, as I am wont to do. (Don’t give me this crap about the sanctity of books. When I read a book, I underline, I highlight, I dog-ear pages. That’s what books are meant for.) My copy of Ulysses (the Gabler edition) is 644 pages. Over 150 times, roughly once every fourth page, I wrote the words “self-indulgent” in the margins, finally just abbreviating halfway through with “S.I.”.

Joyce could only have been entertaining himself. The book is told, at various turns, by the aforementioned protagonists (and others), and almost entirely in stream-of-consciousness, a little of which goes a long way. Molly’s parts (comprising the last section of the book) are told with no punctuation and few paragraphs a long run-on sentence that drags on for thirty-seven pages and essentially reflects her interior monologue of a thousand ideas and thoughts that are going through her head and i suppose we have to hear everything by reading that joyce fellow’s experimental style and i wonder if anybody ever really reads everything molly has to say or maybe they skim like i did because after a while this kind of writing becomes arduous even tortuous to read no matter how clever joyce must have thought that it was i think i’ll have fish tonight.

Stephen’s parts are almost undecipherable.

At one point in the book, a complete stranger to the story – a new character not seen before or after – narrates an entire section.

There is another whole section that is written like a play. Probably more surreal than the other sections (probably), the parts go to Bloom and Stephen (and others), but also to inanimate objects (a clock, a fan, a door handle).

Are there other sections?

Yes, there’s a complete section where the narrative is told through questions and answers.

Why would Joyce do it what way?

Nobody really knows.

Was it effective?

Not for me it wasn’t. Like most of the devices used in the book, it took away from the story, rather than adding to it.

There are also sections written in completely different styles, written essentially as impressions (mockeries?) of eighteenth and nineteenth century Romantic writers. The impressions are impressive, but who was Joyce trying to impress and why? In my copy, this section is now pretty heavily marked with “S.I.”

As is the section where Stephen is having a discussion on Shakespeare. It’s a discussion of some depth and it clearly shows Joyce’s knowledge of the subject. But why is it in the book? Yes, there are Shakespearian symbols relevant to the characters (Hamlet keeps turning up symbolically), but this particular discussion’s purpose (it goes on for pages) seems clear enough: It is Joyce showing us what Joyce knows.

Now, I can’t help but think as I summarize Joyce’s devices here (I am dangerously close to using the word gimmicks), that the book sounds like something of a hoot. A fun book to read! It’s not. It’s not fun. It’s not fun at all. Go to your library, pick up a copy, choose a few random pages and start reading. You’ll see what I mean.

But notwithstanding my margin scribblings, is it really fair to call the manner in which Joyce relates the story of Bloom, et al., self-indulgent? That is to say, did Joyce care more about himself than his reader? It would seem so. The book is extraordinarily bewildering. It cannot be penetrated without an accompanying study guide (I made use of The New Bloomsday Book: a Guide Through Ulysses, and I make no apologies). But one needn’t take my word for it. Let’s hear from the author himself: “I’ve put in so many enigmas and puzzles that it will keep the professors busy for centuries arguing over what I meant, and that’s the only way of ensuring one’s immortality.” How self-indulgent can you get?

Meanwhile, the professors are doing just what Joyce had hoped for. Sitting stoned in the audience while Joyce plays on and on and on and on and on…

It’s an important book, Ulysses. An invaluable piece of the Western cannon. It should be admired as that. Yes, it is ridiculous. But it should be respected. It should even be revered. It need not, however, be read – a sentiment I share with none other than Joyce’s wife Nora. “Why don’t you write books people can read?” she famously inquired of her husband. Good question, Mrs. Joyce.

as far as characterization goes. Bot the plot? The masturbatory complex of the half Jewish central character. Reminiscence of Dryfus woven in. inferences present he Really? I have tried to finish it on occasion, always ended up saving it for another day, when the mining of the underlying symbols can be more successfully unearthed.

Still on my wish list.

If you know the ins and outs of all the characters and the plot, Ulysses can be a joy to read. It can be a slow go, though.

I understand why Joyce wrote that way. It’s just fantastic. I really came to love and appreciate my Irish ancestors and comrades in spirit after I started reading that novel. I had never seen the Irish depicted that way in such an interesting and extended fashion, and I loved it. I also learned that fully 80% of the Irish population was decimated due to the British oppression… either through death and starvation… or emigration. In the late 1800’s the working Irish had pinned all their hopes and dreams on the rebel leader Charles Stuart Parnell who was caught committing adultery, tried for it and destroyed. This caused extreme gloom and depression for most of the Irish folk, and it’s a running theme in the thoughts and conversations of some of the characters… and one reason why Joyce left the country… because he felt the Irish were causing their own doom… due to the way they clung to the past and thought of renewing the glories of ancient Ireland through that glorious way-past that existed before the troubles and the disastrous downfall of Parnell. I disagree to an extent because of the way Yeats and many Irish came to a viable reinvigoration of that great Gaelic energy, but at the same time I see that the modern Europe that Joyce embraced really pushed the future of art to new expressions and ones that really get us to see the problems and complexities of present time existence. So I guess I embrace both.

Also, Carl Jung, who treated Joyce’s daughter Lucia, wrote an essay titled “Ulysses” on Joyce’s novel.

C.G. Jung:
Letters: Volume 2: 1951-1961
pg 98-99 Letter to Joyce from Jung. Review of Ulysses

“The book [Joyce’s Ulysses] can just as well be read backwards, for it has no back and no front, no top and no bottom. Everything could easily have happened before, or might have happened afterwards. You can read any of the conversations just as pleasurably backwards, for you don’t miss the point of the gags. Every sentence is a gag, but taken together they make no point. You can also stop in the middle of a sentence–the first half still makes sense enough to live by itself, or at least seems to. The whole work has the character of a worm cut in half, that can grow a new head or a new tail as required.”
― C.G. Jung, The Spirit in Man, Art and Literature

“Among Jung’s patients in the 1930s was James Joyce’s daughter Lucia, who
suffered from schizophrenia. Jung had earlier written a hostile analysis of
Ulysses, and Joyce was left bitter at Jung’s analysis of his daughter. He
paid back in Finnegans Wake, joking with Jung’s concepts of Animus and
Anima. In his essay ‘Ulysses’ (1934) Jung saw Joyce’s famous novel as an
exploration of the spiritual condition of modern man, especially the
brutalization of his feelings.” [From Joyce Betweeen Freud and Jung by S.R. Brivic 1979]

I read the book in the eighties and of all the books I have read, and they number in the
thousands, this book took me the longest to read. The first part of the book is littered with
Nietzsche references. (I was reading N. at the time) The best description of reading the book
is grind. It is not a joyful or playful or even a fun experience reading Ulysses. It is a grind.
It is loosely based on the Ulysses myth, (Shakespeare might be a better fit). Is it an important
book, yes, is it worth reading, yes, once and that is all I intend to read Ulysses, once.

Kropotkin

I found it a slow read because of all the allusions and mythological tie-ins.

Luckily I had the Cliff Notes and the internet to help. I also had access
to Guy Davenport’s commentary on Joyce, a great help. Davenport
can be considered the greatest Joyce exegete of the 20thc.

But I found it a joy to read. It’s a great work of art.