I knew that I was feeble,
First born son of chance,
Fashioned roughly from grit
By the chisel of circumstance.

My father couldn’t know
The power of his effort
But it means nothing now:
His stony face has flaked away.

I’m trying to practise writing short pieces, but I find it hard to condense everything AND keep up a sustained rhythm/form which carries you neatly through the piece… Helpful criticism (or amusing insults) are all welcome.

The development of identity. . .

I found it very interesting and was left wanting to hear a bit more.

You will have to further explain this? It seems to have slipped passed me. Is this a substance?

Otherwise, I find nothing to criticise and I would love to hear more.

-Skep

Thanks man…

H2SO4 (the numbers should be subscript) is sulphuric acid (sulfuric if you’re from the US!) - which is a major component of acid rain. The reason I used the chemical formula was because it provided a juxtaposition of contrasting images - the classic, gothic feel of the stone gargoyles set against the harsh reality of the scientific age we live in. I also wanted to suggest a destructive interaction between the two; hence the line about H2SO4 “forcing” its way into cracks in the gargoyles and eroding them. Generational conflict; the passage of time; the effect of time; the effect of industrialization - these were the themes I was trying to evoke with those few lines, in particular, I wanted to explore what their role might be in a coherent definition of identity in a ‘postmodern’ context.

In light of your comments, Skep, I’ve decided to scrap my ‘short poem’ thing - it requires more discipline than I have and leaves too much unsaid. Booya! Thanks for helping me see sense.

I liked it a lot, you shouldn’t give up, it was intelligent, as well as poetic, which is rare these days.