reality

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

reality

Postby jdawg » Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:36 am

all of reality is a prison. the question is, whats outside this prison? the thing that made it is something way beyond us.
jdawg

Re: reality

Postby Gloominary » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:52 pm

Infinite potentiality can give rise to finitude, but can finitude give rise to infinite potentiality?
I don't think so, it's a one way street.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Postby surreptitious75 » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:19 pm

Is there such a thing as outside of reality ? Is such a concept actually possible ? Can non reality contain reality ?
For is not reality simply the totality of all that exists from the infinite past right through to the infinite future ?
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
Philosopher

Postby Gloominary » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:40 pm

Perhaps by reality he doesn't mean all of existence, just the part we experience, not the part we can't (normally) experience i.e. the supernatural, preternatural or paranormal.

And going beyond or transcending reality could just mean perceiving the same reality in a totally different way, like the Buddha's anatman, for example, or Lao Tzu's dao, yin yang and wu wei.
Gloominary
Philosopher

Postby Stephen C Pedersen » Sat May 02, 2020 10:09 pm

Reality would be the noumenal realm in Kantian terms, and we only know the material phenomenon we pick up with our senses. We don't have actual access to the truth of things, so how can we know?

I use William James' Pragmatism here. What in my highest virtue to believe in given the many, equalily plausible truths that may exist? Freewill, beauty beyond a percipient, God, tha nature of nature? Is God Nature resulting in pantheism, or panentheism? It helps me ease the nerves to have inclinations so I can get on with the day and not worry too much.
Stephen C Pedersen

Return to Philosophy