Exploring Ethics - Torture and Capital Punishment

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Exploring Ethics - Torture and Capital Punishment

Postby Santiago » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:54 am

Greetings to all.

I'd like to dialogue about ethics, esp. in regards to capital punishment. For example, the case of insurgency, what forms of torture are valid?

Waterboarding seems to be a practical and effective means of obtaining information.

What other forms of torture are akin to this?
Santiago

Re: Exploring Ethics - Torture and Capital Punishment

Postby Zero_Sum » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:07 am

Can't go wrong with electrocution torture. There's always the blowtorch method as well.

Then you have the tooth fairy method where you pull people's teeth out.

Last on the list you have the butcher method, that's when you just start cutting off body parts one at a time.
"I'm sorry, but the lifestyle you've ordered that you've grown accustomed to is completely out of stock. Have a nice day! "-$$$

Zero_Sum
Evil Neo-Nazi Extraordinaire.

Location: U.S.S.A- Newly lead Bolshevik Soviet block. Also known as Weimar America.

Postby phyllo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Waterboarding seems to be a practical and effective means of obtaining information.
Says who? Dick Cheney?

While Cheney continues to maintain that waterboarding has "produced phenomenal results" including tracking down Osama bin Laden,[211] the report of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence concluded that "the CIA's use of its enhanced interrogation techniques was not an effective means of acquiring intelligence or gaining cooperation from detainees." There was no proof, according to the 6,700 page report, that information obtained through waterboarding prevented any attacks or saved any lives, or that information obtained from the detainees was not or could not have been obtained through conventional interrogation methods.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waterboar ... telligence
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:47 pm

I would report this thread … but I'm pretty liberal about free speech. I just wonder why this person is so curious about this… it's sketchy.

The worst form of torture outside spiritual hells is the put electrodes on the pain centers of the brain… having every neuron firing absolute agony.

It's fairly modern.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Return to Philosophy