These are not universal truths...

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: These are not universal truths...

Postby phyllo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:01 am

Ecmandu wrote:No matter who you are, you still have a value system, and that immediately makes you not a nihilist.

A true nihilist would just sit and die of dehydration, but the joke is in them, because they had the value of no value
Nihilists can have a personal value system but not a universal one.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:22 am

phyllo wrote:
Ecmandu wrote:No matter who you are, you still have a value system, and that immediately makes you not a nihilist.

A true nihilist would just sit and die of dehydration, but the joke is in them, because they had the value of no value
Nihilists can have a personal value system but not a universal one.

News to me. You mean that moral system that applies to all beings (objective) that there are no objective morals? A direct contradiction !

I just made a post about truth tables in philosophy...

You might be interested
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby phyllo » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:34 am

News to me. You mean that moral system that applies to all beings (objective) that there are no objective morals? A direct contradiction !
That's a set empty of morals. Therefore it's not actually a contraction since it's a non-system.
phyllo
ILP Legend

Postby Ecmandu » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:37 am

phyllo wrote:
That's a set empty of morals. Therefore it's not actually a contraction since it's a non-system.

You have to make a positive statement to make the claim, which makes it not an empty set, which means exception is allowed into the system, which makes the system self contradictory
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby Fixed Cross » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:08 am

"If "reality" doesn't mean "the empirical world" to you, you're probably a philosopher. If it does, you can relax. You're gonna be okay. "

Our king Alexander held his Christmas speech and he soothed us by saying "If you're down on your luck, don't worry, its okay".
The strong do what they can, the weak accept what they must.
- Thucydides
BTL
Fixed Cross
Doric Usurper

Previous

Return to Philosophy