Something, Nothing and Greed

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Something, Nothing and Greed

Postby Artimas » Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:45 pm

So if nothing is still something.. And something more is still better than nothing, does this mean that what was craved is only more something and since such is the case, does this make nature and the universe inherently selfish/greedy?

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.

Image Image
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars

Re: Something, Nothing and Greed

Postby Jakob » Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:04 am

Artimas wrote:So if nothing is still something.. And something more is still better than nothing, does this mean that what was craved is only more something and since such is the case, does this make nature and the universe inherently selfish/greedy?

Life is. Atoms dont give a shit, they stay good with their tummy full of the same quarks for billions of years.
For behold, all acts of love and pleasure are my rituals
Jakob
ILP Legend

Re: Something, Nothing and Greed

Postby Artimas » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:55 pm

Jakob wrote:
Artimas wrote:So if nothing is still something.. And something more is still better than nothing, does this mean that what was craved is only more something and since such is the case, does this make nature and the universe inherently selfish/greedy?

Life is. Atoms dont give a shit, they stay good with their tummy full of the same quarks for billions of years.

But how can we know single atoms don't give a shit when we are also a collection of atoms, that /do/ give a shit.

All before life, universe had to do things to bring life after, does creation mimic creator? Does manifestation mimic the environment of which caused manifesting?

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.

Image Image
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars

Return to Philosophy