ArisTodle

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

ArisTodle

Postby Dan~ » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:33 am

Big A:

He insisted upon putting hierarchy where there naturally isn't any.

He's part of the class movement, which had an east indian part too : a caste system.

These were times where slavery was considered normal and common place.

Because everything has a value, there must be placed better instead of worse.

Classism is all about the "good".
But it is good-for. It is not a universal good at all.

Because classism failed, we have a replacement : classless societies.
Canada is classless. For better and for worse, that is how it turned out.
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: ArisTodle

Postby Ecmandu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:35 am

Dan~ wrote:Big A:

He insisted upon putting hierarchy where there naturally isn't any.

He's part of the class movement, which had an east indian part too : a caste system.

These were times where slavery was considered normal and common place.

Because everything has a value, there must be placed better instead of worse.

Classism is all about the "good".
But it is good-for. It is not a universal good at all.

Because classism failed, we have a replacement : classless societies.
Canada is classless. For better and for worse, that is how it turned out.


He learned it from Plato.

Canada is far from classless, hell! They have a prime minister ...

Direct democracy is classless ... it has no rulers
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8146
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: ArisTodle

Postby Dan~ » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:41 am

Where is a direct democracy in place then?
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: ArisTodle

Postby Ecmandu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:47 am

Dan~ wrote:Where is a direct democracy in place then?


Nowhere.

We have a form of it by voting on state ballot measures, other than that, nowhere.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8146
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: ArisTodle

Postby Dan~ » Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:54 am

If a king only does what is right, is that sufficient?
Likewise, a group of persons can all be basically wrong about something, right?
I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10034
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: ArisTodle

Postby Ecmandu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:01 am

Dan~ wrote:If a king only does what is right, is that sufficient?
Likewise, a group of persons can all be basically wrong about something, right?


As a king myself, I'd institute direct democracy and step down from the throne I never sat on!
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8146
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: ArisTodle

Postby Artimas » Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:05 am

Direct democracy on an app or website of which is open source so we can all see if anyone messes with the coding or not because anyone and everyone can view it.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3644
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: ArisTodle

Postby Ecmandu » Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:52 pm

Artimas wrote:Direct democracy on an app or website of which is open source so we can all see if anyone messes with the coding or not because anyone and everyone can view it.


That's a start. Not everyone has a cell phone though, in this case everyone would be assigned an anonymous ID#. (Having to use their actual ID to qualify for such a number, and so the same person can't get multiple anonymous id#'s.
Ecmandu
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 8146
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:22 am

Re: ArisTodle

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Fri May 03, 2019 9:03 am

There has been a trend towards less and less fixed castes and less and less class focus. But there has also been a more recent trend towards eliminating the middle classes and creating a very elite rich class. Conservatives often hark back to the 50s, but in the 50s the rich were not so many times richer and there was a thriving middle class, at least amongst whites. Globalization has certainly exacerbated this second trend, now that the corporations are freer from any particular country and that country's labor and laws. But there is more, the finance industry has become much freer. Digital media are shallowing us and tracking us, and monopolies are now more common.

Canada is certainly much less class divided than many other Western and non-Western countries. A bit like Scandanavian countries are less class and caste.

Class used to be about a variety of cultures. Not that this was good, but the different classes had different cultures, ways of speaking, leisure activities, goals, along with economic differences.

Now it's just about money, wealth and power. Even the Chinese have hopped on board, showing us that capitalism need have nothing to do with democracy, this time from the Left.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: ArisTodle

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Fri May 03, 2019 9:24 am

Dan~ wrote:If a king only does what is right, is that sufficient?
It might be ok in his lifetime, but after that, sooner or later, it will be a problem. And it seems like the best possible will come when we can share power, so having even a good king is just putting off us learning how to do this.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1775
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm


Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Artimas, Bing [Bot]