Supreme Value

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Supreme Value

Postby barbarianhorde » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:38 pm

Gloominary wrote:
barbarianhorde wrote:
Gloominary wrote:What's the most valuable thing in life?

The capacity to value.

And aside from being alive, how does one attain and maintain the capacity to value?

One is born with it, but as soon as one loses it, the meaning to life is lost and thus also the capacity to maintain it.

On a spiritual level these are spiritual values, on a physical level, physical values - you don't want to lose the capacity to value physical things. It means one would cease to eat, drink and even breathe.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby MagsJ » Sun May 05, 2019 6:01 pm

Gloominary wrote:While I'm not hyper-moral, if you will, I'm not amoral either.
Not every human behavior needs to or can be moralized, and we all need to cut ourselves and others some slack.

I cut others slack, but not myself.. the one thing that can never be undone is a dented reputation.. not even the slightest dent can be truly repaired.

Rather than accept the morals of my society, I've developed and continue to develop a morality that works for me, that makes sense to me, and isn't mostly or muchly contrary to my natural inclinations, so I don't have to strive all the time.
I'd rather be comfortable, and I'd rather others be comfortable too.

What sociotel morals have you shunned, in favour of your own?
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite

--MagsJ
MagsJ
The Londonist

Postby Ecmandu » Sun May 05, 2019 6:21 pm

MagsJ wrote:
Gloominary wrote:While I'm not hyper-moral, if you will, I'm not amoral either.
Not every human behavior needs to or can be moralized, and we all need to cut ourselves and others some slack.

I cut others slack, but not myself.. the one thing that can never be undone is a dented reputation.. not even the slightest dent can be truly repaired.

Rather than accept the morals of my society, I've developed and continue to develop a morality that works for me, that makes sense to me, and isn't mostly or muchly contrary to my natural inclinations, so I don't have to strive all the time.
I'd rather be comfortable, and I'd rather others be comfortable too.

What sociotel morals have you shunned, in favour of your own?

I once was talking to someone who had seen my very old videos from years back that I've since taken offline.

He was saying to me that I thought I had all the answers back then, and now I admit that I was wrong, so how can I know that I'm right at this point.

I said... well sometimes you need to make massive mistakes to have massive successes.

To which he replied: that's a contradiction

To which I replied: thats not a contradiction, that's called the scientific method
Ecmandu
ILP Legend

Postby barbarianhorde » Wed May 08, 2019 2:07 pm

Gloominary wrote:
barbarianhorde wrote:
Gloominary wrote:What's the most valuable thing in life?

The capacity to value.

And aside from being alive, how does one attain and maintain the capacity to value?

By what we know, vaguely, as ethics.

Bravery, discernment, wholeheartedness, insight into structures, a lot of things together, hard to keep together, thats the art of living.

I can tell you it translates into a calm form of happiness, steadfast desire to proceed.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Philosophy