Is existence enough?

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Pedro I Rengel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Gloominary wrote:I don't think cab driver is for me, unless it's in the day time, because I don't want to deal with drunks and junkies (perhaps a courier).
I don't want to be a security guard either, I don't like conflict, confrontation or enforcement, it's nowhere near worth the pay.



Courier is fun too. Delivery guy even. There's also plenty of cabbies that work the day time. Airport rides and such. For a contemplative man, there is more than one gratifying conversation to be had.
User avatar
Pedro I Rengel
Philosopher
 
Posts: 4291
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby barbarianhorde » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:18 pm

Gloominary wrote:
promethean75 wrote:all you, gloom. you'll love it. there's no continuity of plot... just random interactions between disconnected people. one of my favorite b-movies. philosophical too.


That's totally fucking me, thanks for that.

this is great.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
User avatar
barbarianhorde
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: banned

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby barbarianhorde » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Pedro I Rengel wrote:
Gloominary wrote:I don't think cab driver is for me, unless it's in the day time, because I don't want to deal with drunks and junkies (perhaps a courier).
I don't want to be a security guard either, I don't like conflict, confrontation or enforcement, it's nowhere near worth the pay.



Courier is fun too. Delivery guy even. There's also plenty of cabbies that work the day time. Airport rides and such. For a contemplative man, there is more than one gratifying conversation to be had.

I always forget I can consider that as a contingency plan. Seems very enjoyable.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
User avatar
barbarianhorde
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2462
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm
Location: banned

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby WendyDarling » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:22 am

Existence without inspiration is simply killing time on the clock.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Gloominary » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:27 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Existence without inspiration is simply killing time on the clock.

It's good to have balance I think, it's good to be inspired, driven, but it's also good to relax, take it easy, enjoy the simple things, not overreach.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:48 pm

Well I didn't say anything about being driven, simply inspired by whatever or to do whatever, otherwise your biding your time until death going through the motions of living without anything to really make mention of. Perhaps inspiration and appreciation are somehow tied together, a mixture of what makes life feel great, but being a ghost in your own life blows.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Artimas » Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:20 am

That’s dependent on you. I myself am easily amused and enjoy the ride even if it is eternally painful.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby MagsJ » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:56 am

Gloominary wrote:I mean is surviving in a fair state of physical and mental health enough reason to live, or do many, most or all of us need a lot more reason to live than that?

And if need a lot more reason to live than that, why, and what else is there?

Having had to do the former for the last few years, and now not so much having to, the capacity for a sense of self opens up of wanting to do.. along with the capacity to be able to now do.

I don't think it's essential, but personal pursuits fill a void of purposelessness.

Couriers make very good money.. well they do here, or another good money-maker.. and I know plenty of people in this field, is chauffeuring: film studios, diplomats, the rich, special needs schools.. they all use em.
The possibility of anything we can imagine existing is endless and infinite.. - MagsJ

I haven't got the time to spend the time reading something that is telling me nothing, as I will never be able to get back that time, and I may need it for something at some point in time.. Wait, What! - MagsJ


The Lions Anger is Noble

Image Image Image Image Image
User avatar
MagsJ
The Londonist: a chic geek
 
Posts: 19264
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:59 pm
Location: London, NC1 … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … … Clan motto: Nobilis Est Ira Leonis

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:55 am

I agree with Mags that having a purpose is important.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Gloominary » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:06 am

WendyDarling wrote:Well I didn't say anything about being driven, simply inspired by whatever or to do whatever, otherwise your biding your time until death going through the motions of living without anything to really make mention of. Perhaps inspiration and appreciation are somehow tied together, a mixture of what makes life feel great, but being a ghost in your own life blows.

Can ataraxy, or hedonism be inspiring?

Can existence alone, or taking part in the simple things in life?

Is not enjoying what one has, constantly thinking about and pursuing what one does not have, appreciation, or its antithesis?
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Gloominary » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:11 am

Artimas wrote:That’s dependent on you. I myself am easily amused and enjoy the ride even if it is eternally painful.

I go up and down a bit, but overall, I feel fine these days, even tho I don't have much by our civilization's standards.

I think it'll be interesting to stick around even just to see this how this civilization will play itself out.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby WendyDarling » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:20 am

Gloominary wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Well I didn't say anything about being driven, simply inspired by whatever or to do whatever, otherwise your biding your time until death going through the motions of living without anything to really make mention of. Perhaps inspiration and appreciation are somehow tied together, a mixture of what makes life feel great, but being a ghost in your own life blows.

Can ataraxy, or hedonism be inspiring?

Can existence alone, or taking part in the simple things in life?

Is not enjoying what one has, constantly thinking about and pursuing what one does not have, appreciation, or its antithesis?

All your questions have to do with perspective and whether or not one's perspective can bring about inspiration or is inspiration an epiphany of sorts that brings about a new perspective?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 7492
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Gloominary » Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:11 pm

WendyDarling wrote:
Gloominary wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Well I didn't say anything about being driven, simply inspired by whatever or to do whatever, otherwise your biding your time until death going through the motions of living without anything to really make mention of. Perhaps inspiration and appreciation are somehow tied together, a mixture of what makes life feel great, but being a ghost in your own life blows.

Can ataraxy, or hedonism be inspiring?

Can existence alone, or taking part in the simple things in life?

Is not enjoying what one has, constantly thinking about and pursuing what one does not have, appreciation, or its antithesis?

All your questions have to do with perspective and whether or not one's perspective can bring about inspiration or is inspiration an epiphany of sorts that brings about a new perspective?

Right, it is a matter of perspective, personality, disposition, temperament.

I haven't given much thought to epiphanies, I tend to think everything in the mind, comes from the mind, and its environment, not from nowhere, or some place mysterious.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Artimas » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:13 pm

What if it does come from or strong back to nowhere or some place mysterious? Do you believe you can fathom or comprehend what is already embedded in you to be understood?

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Gloominary » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:32 pm

Artimas wrote:What if it does come from or strong back to nowhere or some place mysterious? Do you believe you can fathom or comprehend what is already embedded in you to be understood?

Whatever inspiration I've had, felt like it came from a convergence of me and my environment, there was nothing mysterious about it.
User avatar
Gloominary
Philosopher
 
Posts: 2000
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:58 am
Location: Canada

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Exuberant Teleportation » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:12 pm

A denial of life is a denial of all promise, because We have so many abilities, and to not interact with this stage of life, to cheapen the experience lessens the beauty of nature.

Einstein says that He who can no longer wonder and stand rapt in awe has his eyes closed, so we need to awaken, be spiritually attuned, manifested from the highest radiance, and perceiving the full infinitude of the divine intellect, which realizes possibilities from the lowest to the highest, realizing all levels of existence.
RaptorWizard viewtopic.php?f=10&t=195462

Welcome to the Magical Casey Barbie World!!*

I'm Lugia Prototype XD001 in Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness (Ultimate Weapon, Final Annihilator), the Star Forge Lugia firing AeroBlasts, surging with SuperHolographic Propylon antechamber Polarities, and the SuperUnknown mysteries of the Ruins of Alph in Pokemon Crystal. Wartortle wisdom with age turns Me from fool Meganium, to wise Lugia. Raptors beating Golden State = Red (Tyranitar/Me) transcended Gold (Zarathustra/Ho-Oh) in Pokemon Crystal!!

I programmed Kardashev Macroverse Civilizations Scale levels 10-26 + Bunny Gray Fox atop, and Slowking System + Misdreavus enigma totems + Regigigas Power of One orbs of Lugia into life.

Think about Bunny and You will be Happy Every Day.
Let's Wish for Joy that We each see to shine sparkles of random~Rainbows for If to Will!!*
What's the most enchanting Story?
Imagination + Willpower (Light + Dark) are as Big as the Rainbow
User avatar
Exuberant Teleportation
Philosopher
 
Posts: 3540
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:34 pm
Location: Celebrate Victory Forever!!*

Re: Is existence enough?

Postby Artimas » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:29 pm

Gloominary wrote:
Artimas wrote:What if it does come from or strong back to nowhere or some place mysterious? Do you believe you can fathom or comprehend what is already embedded in you to be understood?

Whatever inspiration I've had, felt like it came from a convergence of me and my environment, there was nothing mysterious about it.


Have you ever had a dream? The unconscious cannot reveal itself fully to one whom is not yet ready for it to be revealed. Imagination and ideas don’t seem mysterious when they come out of nowhere?

We certainly don’t come to them. That’s pretty mysterious to me, all the environment truly does is shapes the ego of which is the confinement of the past and future individual in a present moment. That seems pretty mysterious also.

Even nothing, is something.
If one is to live balanced with expectations, then one must learn to appreciate the negative as well, to respect darkness in its own home.

All smoke fades, as do all delicate mirrors shatter.

"My ancestors are smiling on me, Imperials. Can you say the same?"

"Science Fiction today ~ Science Fact tomorrow"

Change is inevitable, it can only be delayed or sped up. Choose wisely.

Truth is pain, and pain is gain.


Image Image
User avatar
Artimas
Emancipator of ignorance and also Chameleon upon the stars
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Fri Oct 03, 2014 12:47 pm
Location: Earth, Milky Way

Previous

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot]