The "Ich" and the "Du"

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: The "Ich" and the "Du"

Postby Meno_ » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:52 am

Guide wrote:
"slandering with ad-hominems"

You would make a bad lawyer. Discrediting weak witnesses is a major part of the law in all nations on the earth, for good reason.

That. may be true , while You would not make a good judge of character, for depending on circumstances weakness could very well serve a higher purpose.
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:45 am

Guide, you never answered my other 2 questions. Is English your first language? Do you have a girlfriend?
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Guide wrote:
"Why am I a Chomsky addict?"

This seems properly only to say what "Karpal Tunnel" is. The mad passion of the caravanserai to alloy the others has broken out, and painted you in this colour. Such is the mire of group existence.
IOW, he's not and you were lazy. Ornate little cop out, give you that.
Karpel Tunnel
Philosopher

Postby Guide » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:53 pm

Guide wrote:
"slandering with ad-hominems"

You would make a bad lawyer. Discrediting weak witnesses is a major part of the law in all nations on the earth, for good reason.

That. may be true , while You would not make a good judge of character, for depending on circumstances weakness could very well serve a higher purpose.

For students of reason, accomplished morons who merely throw around words thoughtlessly, and even dishonestly, demand to be named. I grant and appreciate, of course, that if we abandon philosophy utterly, the notion that one might learn from anyone and anything becomes the clearest of truths. The art of reason demands, not in animosity, but in the coldness of science, that we say clearly: "Meno" provides the group with a theophany; the coming to vision to mortals of imbecile time-wasting Koalemos.
Guide

Postby Guide » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:56 pm

Guide wrote:
"Why am I a Chomsky addict?"

This seems properly only to say what "Karpal Tunnel" is. The mad passion of the caravanserai to alloy the others has broken out, and painted you in this colour. Such is the mire of group existence.
IOW, he's not and you were lazy. Ornate little cop out, give you that.

There is little in this response for the group, so it shall remain happily unanswered.
Guide

Postby Guide » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:02 pm

"Guide, you never answered my other 2 questions. Is English your first language? Do you have a girlfriend?"

The group must not turn towards biographical details and gossip. What concerns us is the essence of the human being, namely reason. We want to know if we have a sound essence to work with and to share notes with. "Meno" and "Karpel Tunnel" don't meet that requirement. They are inhuman monsters. Biographical details could mislead us to reject things on the basis of the now prevalent public judgments, as with the case of Goebbels. Science is cold, philosophy is the most perfect science, and so the coldest.
Guide

Postby barbarianhorde » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:47 pm

If Iambiguous and Guide are not the same person, then still, together they know three German words. To them, this is the stone cold accomplishment of philosophy.
It is true that liberty is precious; so precious that it must be carefully rationed.
~ Владимир Ильич Ульянов Ленин

THE HORNED ONE
barbarianhorde
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:28 pm

Guide,

What concerns us is the essence of the human being, namely reason.

Are you saying here that reason is the true essence of the human being? Does history show reason to be the essence of the human being or in many cases to be the lack thereof?

"
Meno" and "Karpel Tunnel" don't meet that requirement. They are inhuman monsters.

What is your motivation in trying to cast these two in such a bad light?
Two names are called to mind when I read the above words - inhuman monsters - Hitler and Mengele.

Another essence of the human being may be his desire, brought on by his emotions.
Is not reason, right reason, also logical or at least strives to be?
What will it cost you to leave the bullying to the bulls?
“How can a bird that is born for joy
Sit in a cage and sing?”
― William Blake

“Little Fly
Thy summers play,
My thoughtless hand
Has brush'd away.

Am not I
A fly like thee?
Or art not thou
A man like me?

For I dance
And drink & sing:
Till some blind hand
Shall brush my wing.

If thought is life
And strength & breath:
And the want
Of thought is death;

Then am I
A happy fly,
If I live,
Or if I die”
― William Blake, Songs of Innocence and of Experience

“No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings.”
― William Blake
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Guide » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 am

Guide,

What concerns us is the essence of the human being, namely reason.

Are you saying here that reason is the true essence of the human being? Does history show reason to be the essence of the human being or in many cases to be the lack thereof?

"
Meno" and "Karpel Tunnel" don't meet that requirement. They are inhuman monsters.

Two names are called to mind when I read the above words - inhuman monsters - Hitler and Mengele.

Another essence of the human being may be his desire, brought on by his emotions.

Both. Man is lacking, therefore, we seek the least lacking. History is a long question, perhaps, the much-more reasonable man will overcome it and set time outside the political.

This is too far-fetched. Here we mean failure and defeat in the most humiliating and therefore trivial sense. I don't speak of values here, they are invented. I speak of man as man. Thinking your way we forget that Stalin is very much loved in Russia. We have many unsought lacunae and stick with big effects and fake notions of value. Rather, what is most human can not be judged by historical standards of what is shocking and destructive of the human being in his passing circumstance and life.

Right reason is only determined by nemo nasciter artifex, by the art of reason. It belongs to an age. A man of good heart, in the cannibal society, will still approve cannibalism. So too in the slave society. In the money society. And so on. Summa ratio names the accumulation of the bent of the tradition. This is a problem of what of late got the name "bounded rationality". What interests us is the man who is not a cold grotesque accident. Ergo, the one the great man most closely resmbels.
Guide

Previous

Return to Philosophy