Reasons

We all have reasons for our behavior. I have reasons for having been away from this forum for around 2-3 yrs. My reasons are very valid, as far as I’m concerned, but may not be so to others.

Here’s my question–are ‘reasons’ valid, as far as behavior is concerned? Or are ‘reasons’ really excuses? Does the answer depend on the importance of the behavior–i.e., are the ‘reasons’ a serial killer kills more important than the fact that s/he kills? Or is it important that the action for what a person has ‘reasons’ is no more important than not writing in a forum?

Does this make sense? I hope so.

Reasons for behaviour are valid as long as they are actually true and not simply an attempt to defend bad choices which one has made
There is a very thin line between justification and explanation but it is important not to conflate them because they are not the same

Generally reality is deterministic and leveraged by cause & effect.
Thus every thing done will have a cause or a reason.

Out of 100% of all activities, not every action will be within a person’s control but what is critical is one must be mindful that one’s actions are generally least not immoral and unethical.

Where actions are within one’s control [say 10-20% ??], such actions must be purposeful with good reasons to be done for the optimal well being of the individual and the community.
‘Optimal’ means knowing and doing with good reasons to the best of one’s ability.

However, to accomplish the above effectively one will need philosophy-proper, e.g. know thyself and all basic tools to achieve the intended results.

Given the currently state of average humans the majority will likely to struggle with the above to do good optimally.