To iambiguous

I’m thinking of prismatic’s post when I reply.

If you truly love something, you never want it to perish. The same goes for if you are truly loved.

Once you get into the perishing game, you are an avatar of hate.

What I said in my videos is true. If you hate yourself, I have no magic wand for you.

No, he’s right. There is no evidence that Nazi parties members in general had no empathy for family members, neighbors,employees, etc. Ideology specifically dampened empathy in relation to Jews. That is the purpose propaganda and, for example, the way militaries put enemy soldiers outside the scope of humanity. Otherwise we are talking about a miraculous genetic event, where a large percentage of the German population had damaged mirror neurons. In fact your position here undermines the importance of your anti-religious campaign. It wouldn’t matter that religions create inter-group lack of empathy. Muslims for example can obviously, even fanatic ones, be concerned about their families, neighbors, friends. Their mirror neurons function in relation to people considered not infidels. But ideology allows them to care less or not at all about people they are told God hates. The homophobe who beats the shit out of a gay person generally is not found to have some kind of genetic disorder where they have non-functioning mirror neurons or other brain damage. German society was not coming apart because there was no empathy between Aryans. And it would. If no one else’s feelings and humanity matter on the scale of anti-semitism in that country, it would not have functioned. You can also read accounts of rabid anti-semites beginning to balk at actually shooting a jew or their 40th jew. Their mirror neurons kicking in despite the ideology when at close range and responsible for hte killing themselves. But even so, ideology - in this case often including a sense of duty - overrode empathy with Jews, but did not affect, because it was not applicable, relations with people who were not Jews. Even Hitler probably felt genuine affection for aryan children and dogs, and empathy for them when they suffered. To think that the Southern US back in sharecropper or slaveholding times IN GENERAL suffered from some sort of damage to their mirror systems, is like believing lightning struck the same spot every minute for years or some other statistically nearly impossible event. They were trained not to see blacks as human, and this overrode mirror neuron stimulated reactions in a large percentage of the white population, but only in relation to blacks. Of course class issues and other tpes of dehumanizing ideleologies may have affected other relationships, but the horror is in part that those people were capable of empathy but it was suppressed in relation to a specific group. To do this you have to ‘change their minds’ over time with propaganda. Which actually is an understanding you need in your campaign against, say, Islam. If there is just some weird genetic coincidence going on, it is less important that Islam exists. But precisely because Islam can dampen empathy in relation to women, infidels, atheists, etc., it is a problem. It is not that Muslims have non-functioning mirror neurons, even fanatics. It is that these neuron patterns are suppressed in relation to outgroup people and in certain ways women.

You missed my point again and somehow do not want to think more seriously but rather conflating issues.

Note Iambigous was very specific, i.e.

Above relate to Nazis with Nazis and doing their Nazi things, Slave Owners with Slave Owners, X with X, Y with Y, are like ‘birds of feathers.’ This is a clear case of the very domineering tribalism instinct, i.e. us versus them which easily overrides whatever empathic impulse there is within the majority.

Iambigous did not talk of relations with family members, neighbors,employees, etc. Good relations with family members who are also Nazis would entail bonding, i.e. ocytoxin - the love chemicals - en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxytocin.
Oxytocin is the chemical that drive crocodiles to ‘love’ and protect their babies against all threats when they are young, but the moment the oxytocin run out within months after hatching, even their young ones will be seen as meals to them. There is no question of mirror neurons and empathy in such caring and ‘loving’ acts by the female mother crocodiles. It is the same with most animals and humans.

Good relation with neighbors and employees who are Nazis also involved tribalism, i.e. us versus them. Empathy is out of the question here, if any it would be VERY insignificant and is overriden.

Note I did not mention damaged mirror neurons. DNA wise ALL humans inherently are born with some unactivated mirror neurons and activated by nurture circumstances. In the Nazis case where their ideology is dominant, their mirror neurons are suppressed by the more instinctual tribalistic impulses and not active. It is very normal that the tribalistic drives dominate one life when one adopt a significant ideology especially with Nazism [very tribalistic] and its daily brainwashing.
It is the same with Islam the ideology driven by a parasite zombie [of deeper primal instinctual drives] which dominate, easily inhibit and suppressed the [later evolved] mirror neurons.

I have always mentioned the Bell Curve and there will be some percentile whose mirror neurons are not totally inhibited but it is not likely they will express openly whatever little active mirror neurons they have to non-Nazis. But there were exceptions where some Nazi Germans helped Jews and others to escape Nazis’ brutality.

Point is you have to exercise some degree of Principle of Charity and understand things in general as I cannot addressed related nuances and exceptions all the time.

Here we go again. You make the claim that this synchronization is possible for the “well being of humanity”, but you don’t bring it down to earth in order to demonstrate how one of your own “progressive behaviors” is in sync with it. Other than in piling up certain assumptions about things like slavery or smoking.

Here we go again. Only the manner in which you construe the historical relationship between Nazis and empathy and evil is – axiomatically? – how all rational and virtuous men and women are obligated to think and to feel.

But of course in no way shape or form does this make you an objectivist. Technically, for example. Just ask any serious philosopher.

Then back again to this:

Note to others:

Is this the case? Would anyone here be willing to link me to the “details” that Prismatic has provided previously.

Would you agree that he sufficiently addresses the points that I make in regards to the existential relationship between identity, value judgments and political power?

Once again: How dare anyone not entirely agree with the point you make here!!

You know, whatever that point actually is.

Again, this seems more in sync with Satyr’s argument over at KT. These instincts [and “chemicals”] reflect that which it is natural to do. It’s “nature’s way”. Thus things like racism and sexism and waging war are nothing more than inherent manifestations of the evolution of life itself being played out on planet earth.

Sure, they concede, over the years any number of cultural “memes” might have acted to blunt this in particular communities; but, sooner or later, nature reconfigures these folks back to the way things are “naturally” embedded in our very genetic code.

And, obviously, it’s not like their arguments are completely irrational. It’s just that the variables embedded in nature and the variables embedded in nurture combine to produce a vast, vast number of actual complex and convoluted human interactions reconfiguring over time in a profoundly problematic world where contingency, chance and change are ever and always right around the corner.

And then the various objectivists come along over the centuries to insist that only their own assessment – re God, Reason, Ideology etc. – is the most rational manner in which to understand these relationships.

It’s just that their assessments are often propagated in the form of “general descriptions” of right and wrong behaviors. Or up in the scholastic clouds where words only have to be in sync with other words.

On the other hand, my bottom line here is always basically the same:

When the Nazis pursued their “final solution” against the Jews it all unfolded in a particular historical and cultural context in which particular genes and memes intertwined “in the head” of particular men and women, such that some chose to do one thing and others chose to do something else.

Why?

Now, can philosophers pin down what all rational and virtuous human beings ought to do in particular sets of circumstances like these? Are they able to unravel all of these genes and memes in order to assess that frame of mind which it is obligatory to embody by men and women who want to be thought of as reasonable and ethical?

Sure, maybe.

All I am pointing out is that “here and now” no one has of late managed to convince “me” that they have accomplished this.

Instead, I keep bumping into objectivists of your ilk who basically insist that, if I think of things like “progressive behaviors” as they do, then everything will finally become clear. Like it is to them. And then like them I can sink back down into the comfort and consolation of an objectivist frame of mind.

Like I once did.

Morality is really, essentialism , grounded in the aesthetic, whereas the goal can only be gathered in the uncertainty of post modernism, where pleasure seeking is not a direct cause
This idea is.propagated not merely by Kant and Kierkegaard, but structuralists who blame current uncertainty on the very conflicting/conflation of both: the contraption we have built and the life through which it was built.

Nihilism reduced to a singular goal, fails as manifest. (Sartre’s abjective reticence , post .ca. 1956)

As it is, they can not be separated, and this far, deconstruction causes more problems than gains

Okay, let’s take this “general description” assessment out into the world of moral conflicts most here will be familiar with.

How might those on either side of the conflict [immigration, abortion, animal rights, drug use, gun control etc] react to this argument insofar as they might find it useful in furthering their own political agenda?

I kind of felt You will modify a general descriptive construction , into which we have been dropped, and out of which we will try to navigate out of.

The aesthetic ground, serves as guidelines to do both: deconstruct and reconstruct in terms of satisfactory acceptance
The modus operandi of moral judgements (Kant) and the utalitarianism of Mill, can be handled in terms of the former,(in terms of duty and obligation to certain. Innate ideas/ideals, having predictable consequences , based on PLEASURE of varying kinds, moast notably of the kind Kant had in mind: of the spirit: of the Good, the Kind. the symmetrical and the proportional, those which result in equilibrium. They do not beg specific moral problems per application, they merely guide lines along critical and reasonable judgements.

There is foreseeability with Kant , but only drawn with broad brushstrokes.

I don’t think Kant would venture into absolute categorization as it strays away from a reasonable standard, or be unaware of the naturalistic fallacy.

Mills, on the other hand would need to seek relative pleasure as the motive of action, where the value of (good/evil) may not be exactly defined as an outcome. Some would consider abortion to be good if the nervous system and temporality of the mother would not be outweighed by the feeling of pain and temporality of the fetus.

I feel a little of both are needed to overcome this conflict even if they are of varied opinions , or they lean to disagree on definitions of Good, as an absolute or, the value of maximum number of people are to be considered. This is the ground here, because an aesthetic judgement is primary here.

No a problem particular: Take a man, wealthy, successful, healthy , physically in good shape , and an asset to society. Then take the lowdown immigrant , having nothing, in ill health, no job, etc. Absolute ethical standards would dictate that one of the former would be seen more worth more then scores of the latter.

Neither utilitarianism nor transcendental idealism serves its reasonable practical solution individually, or socially.

If some medic were to come out and say humanity would not survive if everyone over 30 would be left unelimimated, based on the theory that medical science, by extending life by better health care - did humanity a dis service, because it raised population to unmanageable levels , thereby lowering the quality of life- would that not be a reasonable basis for the argument? Would either such ethically absolute serve mankind better then a social morality based on a reasonable prediction as to what constitutes most pleasure to the most people?

Would either, both, or none could serve best, as being the maximal
ethical guideline or the most applicable moral tool?

I think better, the utilization of existing social programs are not less worthy then pragmatic consideration, for with a pragmatism puts all things may be taken into consideration , irrespective of any particular factor. What’s good does not necessarily value quantitative nor qualificational criteria one in front of the other, but neither does conditional or inherent values place unnecessary burdens of judgement on people or personages ,. It can, if the criteria change in an existentially reduced context.

So its a case by case situational ethics, which links to individually perceived morality. The link is there, potentially raised if it became necessary.

Lets say the mother rather risk her life then weigh in to the possibility that her fetus may not come out normal, based on religious notions. Could a medical expert come in with a judgement? He should when others are not willing or come in with their own opinion.

I think mind games such as the Prisoner’s dilemma are much more down to earth, if You want to get a more objective judgement, and still hold such objectivity in suspense, while one’s own predicament becomes linked to such a dilemma.For instance , lets say some one weren’t walk down a riverbank and notice a child struggling to stay afloat. Such a person has no legal duty to preform the action of saving that child, but what if that child should be closely related, does the ethical duty change? No, but the failure to save your own child would be mostly considered highly immoral, while to save the life of another child not, particularly if, such action would not include knowledge. of special circumstances unknown - such as the proximity of the real parent, or other such unknowns.

On ground of pragmatic ethical theory, most moral problems would be solved case by case, with the aid of immediate intuition coupled with reasonable assessment of the situation.

There may be certain deontological unalterable and sensibly rational methods by which most conflicting values can be solved.or.at least.mitigated to a desirably satisfactory definitive level, and such even come to become of universal applicability.

If one cannot come to terms , in near term , AI may help, or even constrain to come to such . The less freedom is afforded, the more such functions are taken over by artificially induced short cuts.

I fear the pleasures of authentic nihilism are going the way of romanticism a century ago, except the interval is becoming shorter.

Iambiguous is not a complicated person to me.

This sums up iambiguous:

“Everyone! I don’t exist! BUT I feel like I’m not being heard or understood by anyone!”

Seriously, it’s like, iambiguous, they were able to make someone in 1984 say 2+2=6, as the ultimate assertion of dominance, and why do men use contradictions (self refutations) as ornaments? Because that’s the ONLY thing women will have sex with. Iambiguous is not in some great existential crisis … he’s trying to use his ego to assert social dominance through contradiction, to get laid, which requires zero intellectual work!! He’s like a guy who sweeps everything under the rug, and someone’s like “wow, you did all that work in 2 seconds?!”

I’m on to you iambiguous.

Wait, it gets even better!!

“I don’t exist!! But everyone listen to me, unless I agree with an argument about morality, it’s not reasonable”

Says the guy who says he doesn’t exist as a preface to everything!!!

Ha!

Seriously?!

Oh, and iambiguous…

In case you haven’t figured it out, none of this shit we see around us would exist if people were moral, including us … people don’t like that thought, so they disagree…

Who here can argue that it’s moral to have a child without prior building another house they can live in and own and provide their food for life? Nobody. It’s perfectly logical. That’s just one example.

Iambiguous is appealing morally to peoples ego that they should have been born, that they should be who they are, butterfly effect and all… and then calling everything good!

I hear this shit everyday!

“Nice day huh?” Operant conditioning. Psychoneurolinguistic programming.

I’ll even go a step further with iambiguous, he’s telling us that we all can’t handle the truth that he doesn’t exist…

I have a MUCH deeper hole… nothing we see around us should exist including us…

I also have a much more difficult problem than conflicting goods…

Give everyone everything they want without hurting anyone…

You call me the “kid”. You’re still in diapers !!

My interest in a discussion of this sort revolves less around what I construe to be “general descriptions” of human interactions in a world bursting at the seams with moral and political conflgrations, and more around the manner in which folks like Kant or Mill might have offered assessments regarding particular historical conflicts that have raged down through the centuries

Again:

[b]Let’s take “general description” assessments out into the world of moral conflicts most here will be familiar with.

How might those on either side of the conflict [immigration, abortion, animal rights, drug use, gun control etc] react to this argument insofar as they might find it useful in furthering their own political agenda?[/b]

In other words, in the course of living their lives from day to day to day.

Sure, there are those philosophers who argue that we can’t go there until we first establish a precise definition and meaning of the words used in the assessments.

And that’s certainly not an unreasonable point of view. But sooner or later these definitions embedded in a world of words have to make contact with the world we actually live and interact with.

Then what?

What are the limits [if any] of philosophy here?

In other words, while Wittgenstein once suggested that “Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent”, that just simply isn’t practical in a world where value judgments will ever and always clash.

We must speak of them. But what are the limits of that which we might say? Again if any.

It is almost axiomatic , that the general schema can not be separated from their applications, because the issues can not be delineated in terms of relevance to their meaning ,withoit retroactively posing as definite and.unlimited standards.

As structural basis is concerned, there need be certainty on the level of contradiction , at the level of jurisdiction, as it applies to law: is it a preponderance of evidential certainty which gives rise in a consensus to form an objective opinion.

I think , an absolute objectivism is missing from the formula, conflicting a relative objective.(s)

The more we travel from the ideal classical world to the Post modern world, the less such idealism becomes possible.

Holdouts are to be commended , they are the ones who will be noted first for their persostence on a passing era, amd as tables turn as they always do, clarity will return .

In real applicable terms, the concept of the reasonable man is an interesting application to the problem, which would bring in relevance in the field of law. It took Kant various voluminous writings in his critiques (pure reason, judgement and practical reason to bring this forth. Distilled to a few concepts, he never permits himself to consider man who can reason his way out from under the obligation to find , by pure reason, what objectivity should be, .(Critique of Practical Reason) Therefore , he vests a moral obligation , as the standard of a pure understanding, of what man Should Do, on basis of what is undeniably good and right.

But the naturalistic fallacy, bars him in the practical critique.The Reasonable Man, changed from an oblogation of
what isbexpected of him to know. how he would act. The reasonable man is one who would act in a way, consistent with how other men of reason would act under similar circumstances.

That there is no absolute way of finding out if even two people would or could think exactly the same way how to judge the correct rightness or wrongness of a judgement upon which their actions are based on, b the only judge of reasonableness lays on their own understanding.

Even in law, the act of how reasonable people would act , is found sufficient , as opposed to how they should act, a gain in deference to a variance.

Mill’s consequentialism is separated, but retroactively incorporated by merely changing the language from ‘should’ to ‘would’ in acting. under various conditions.

You are absolutely right in claiming no absolute criteria to determine objectivity , by necessity ,to view consensus by statistical analysis of what a reasonable man would d o under such and such of conditions.

done and redifined , because there needs a judgement, even in the absence of an absolute standard covering all sotiations.

So how can abortion and the issue around it be solved? Good question .

The Kennedy resignation (pressurized or not politically) may overturn Roe vs Wade, on the basis of a political leaning, and if it does it shows how judgement can return toward less reliance on the moral public opinion , and more on ethical imperative. Politics plays into altering what ostensibly is reasonable as to how a man acts…while. exposing anyone who claims they are absolutely free.

This freedom , based on the ability and the need to make individual decisions is limited, Society will disallow any action which it considers harmful, even to one’s self. Can the idea that suicide is illegal be demonstrated? Sure, a non voluntary commitment can be argued for persons who may harm themselves others.

In a perfect world , anyone could take their own life, a Karkorian need not argue for cases where illness determines the criteria of what is considered as having a certain quality of life. To be a perfectionist is one, who probably has the best available and arguably, the closest practice, education and moral preparation to determine the right action in regard to issues , which, need not need an ethical and a moral separation. Their record is near spotless in coming through with the right thing to do. Who’d be the judge? Themselves and others who had dealings with him.

That would place law as the final arbiter, showing how practical reason has prompted pure reason, by the notion of the judgement Itself.

The Judgement of Solomon comes to mind here, and how real and deceptive judgement can be discerned by the best of judges.

Thanks for the contribution but this is really not the sort of exchange that I am aiming for. I just don’t approach philosophy in the is/ought world from this…direction.

I seek to take basically academic analyses of this sort and introduce them to actual conflicting goods out in a particular context out in a particular world.

For all practical purposes as it were.

Some, of course, see this “the problem”. And, sure, it may well be. But, really, I advise them to move on to others here more interested in “technical” discussions of this sort.

Here you come closer to the sort of discussion that interests me.

Are there in fact “ethical imperatives” that those on either end of the moral/political spectrum are able to demonstrate as in fact obligatory points of view [sets of behaviors] for all rational men and women?

Are the Justices on the Supreme Court able to argue that while their own particular value judgments here are rooted existentially in the lives that they have lived [as daseins], there is a way in which to argue that, as a Constitutional issue, the “original intent” of the framers of that document revolved around either permitting or not permitting abortions to be legal?

And, then, once you go beyond the law and consider abortion as a moral issue, is there a way to transcend dasein here in turn? Are rational and virtuous men and women able to know – to know objectively – that abortion is either ethical or unethical?

If so then, okay, let’s here the arguments.

From my frame of mind, the relationship here between “I” [the individual] and “we” [society] will, in any particular human community, be embedded in actual existing historical, cultural and experiential contexts.

Now, there are those who argue that despite this one can still use God or Reason or Ideology or Nature etc., to determine what men and women are obligated to do if they wish to be thought of as virtuous. Or if they wish not to be punished for doing the wrong/bad thing.

Thus any particular society will have laws aimed at either prescribing or proscribing behaviors that revolve around suicide. Or, for that matter, infanticide, genocide, genital mutilation, slavery etc. But to what extent are they able to demonstrate that the laws themselves exist only because they are in fact in sync [morally] with the right thing to do?

Very early exporation into imaginary communities as they connect between ancient moral standards regarding particular stances on abortion , and some legal disagreements pending Rowe vs. Wade , and lastly the embodiment You introduced , as a conceptual term; finally, philosophycal underpinnings in Polanyi’s conceptual underpinnings and his followers in defining the term (embodiment) . His followers develop the concept further minus the Persian mystical train, adopting that as being able to arrive to a non objectionist view .

I post this , because its a work in progress , primarily instigated by You, and one thing i do remember a few years ago, which is really of not much importance , that i had an audio dream of Polanyi, the content of which i dont really remember.

The point i’m trying to.make is, that using value ontology, the meanig shift appears to be on Your side, but for foundamental differences that can arise, when introducing recent research into aspects which were previously of antic,-quasi mystical sources and attributes.

Ill try to come up with something soon but only as a general.framework , if You’re interested in such an approach.

The political manifest noted below,and how they might relate to imaginary communities, would be the next step in com-promising how moral imperatives sustain themselves without recourse to any pre-existing or a-priori ideas.

There is an other route, as described above, concerning the representative lean on ethical issues. That creates an illusion, as if, any adjudication would solve the divide between them.

If, for instance, Row v Wade is overturned, the difference may become practically void for all effective purposes, and descent into objectivity is elimimated, for practically, questions of legitemate representation~ (objetive) opinión becomes mute. Once done, the Supreme Court’s opinión is beyond reproach, and the same goes for what’s happening now, when the possibility of an overturn becomes a possibility.

It skirts the foundamental ontological judgememt by relying on Kant where his critique of judgement corresponds to the judgement of the Supreme Court’s viability. Reducing the objetive moral ethical difference by the representative by the Will of the people, makes further appeals to reason
Irrelevant until its overturned. (Practical v Reasonable) Critique.

The consequentialism implicit in Trump’s loaded intentionality (by a possble packed Court) , can forgo inquiery into rhetoric as indication of intent, as well.

This is another way to get out of the conflict by political manifest.

Well, one thing seems rather certain: we’re going nowhere fast.

You have your philosophical agenda here and I have mine. Let’s just leave it at that.

Ok but can we? If we are to get out from down under, we must return to at least a reproachment of sorts and by that I don’t intend to return to some kind of social synthetic . other people read this rag, supposedly , and they may be equally disappointed by us .giving up so easy. Lambigious I absolutely no way no how have an agenda to speak of , and I am quite sure You do not have one either.
Maybe there is ONE but I am leaning toward the many, and to choose is the way to go.

I would like to think there is a bright light at the end of this tunnel.