Skepticism Needs to End

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Skepticism Needs to End

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Sun May 13, 2018 6:42 am

Like I said it get's us nowhere. And does more damage to actual knowledge of facts and proofs. it must be destroyed in order for more philosophers to become acceptable to TRUTHS. It's really destroying our sense of perception in these days and times. Guessing, and not knowing is one thing. Yet when Skeptics start to just 'Reject' everything. That's when all logic is gone.
((Our object of desire isn't to change current belief systems or complicate already convoluted streams of information; we're not trying to even prove ourselves in anyway. We're just human beings similar to yourself. Not superior, the same. Ancestors of the lost world. The conflicts of beliefs you face in your world, are not only the conflict of self yet life, we cannot compel such conflicts to other's will for any self-benefit. The true goal reached here is there is nothing we can say nor do that can convince anyone else of what they don't know for themselves already. And, when the time calls, and you are ready, the barriers of awareness will expand and such confirmed information will be easily perceived, and known to them! Allow them to seek and find out when they are prepared. All will arrive to light in no time.) Ego sum via veritas et vita;Amesha Spenta;Vohu Mano; Allow all things measurable, microbial and astronomical to remain infinite, unchanged and arrive to light.
User avatar
Pneumatic-Coma
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby surreptitious75 » Sun May 13, 2018 12:51 pm

A skeptic should only be rejecting anything that is demonstrably false
For everything else they should either accept it or keep an open mind
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75
 
Posts: 385
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby WendyDarling » Sun May 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Skeptics reject ideas that lack hard scientific evidence.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6948
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Sun May 13, 2018 8:28 pm

WendyDarling wrote:Skeptics reject ideas that lack hard scientific evidence.

There's no such thing as "hard scientific evidence".

People are either convinced by arguments, "experts", or they're not.

You can build a mountain of "hard scientific evidence", still doesn't make a preposition true. Truth begins when people believe in something.
Urwrongx1000
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Mon May 14, 2018 8:17 am

Urwrongx1000 wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:Skeptics reject ideas that lack hard scientific evidence.

There's no such thing as "hard scientific evidence".

People are either convinced by arguments, "experts", or they're not.

You can build a mountain of "hard scientific evidence", still doesn't make a preposition true. Truth begins when people believe in something.


Precisely. It boils down to how much a person wants to believe for themselves, that what they know, is to be correct in their minds.

In ordinary usage, skepticism, refers to:

1. an attitude of doubt or a disposition to incredulity either in general or toward a particular object;
2. the doctrine that true knowledge or some particular knowledge is uncertain;
3. the method of suspended judgment, systematic doubt, or criticism that is characteristic of skeptics (Merriam–Webster).

In philosophy, skepticism can refer to:

1. a mode of inquiry that emphasizes critical scrutiny, caution, and intellectual rigor;
2. a method of obtaining knowledge through systematic doubt and continual testing;
3. a set of claims about the limitations of human knowledge and the proper response to such limitations.

So with this in mind. Skeptics only regard certain knowledge even if proven evident, yet only to still discredit said proofs. It makes no sense in any age to have discredited a lot of scientific breakthroughs. Or any actual facts of technology and logic these days. Yet Tesla is still not studied in school and certain ancient technology isn't applied to our contemporary way of living. The urge to just doubt is strictly stemming from avoiding to be wrong. People are as vain as ever in this world. As skeptics go, they may even be as bad as certain belief systems, with their radical way of misinforming the misrepresented objection of falsely accusing anybody else's certainties to be wrong. Yet if this was in the hands of the other, it may have been different. With every bit of knowledge you get taught, there's still a a whole lot of knowledge out there to be learned. “Opinion is the medium between knowledge and ignorance". We mustn't just doubt away every sensible source of evidence. Not guess. But we must always have certain conviction even when it comes down our very own technological research. sheesh. I mean in life, a man could doubt he would die, yet when he's dead, I doubt! He'll doubt that again.
((Our object of desire isn't to change current belief systems or complicate already convoluted streams of information; we're not trying to even prove ourselves in anyway. We're just human beings similar to yourself. Not superior, the same. Ancestors of the lost world. The conflicts of beliefs you face in your world, are not only the conflict of self yet life, we cannot compel such conflicts to other's will for any self-benefit. The true goal reached here is there is nothing we can say nor do that can convince anyone else of what they don't know for themselves already. And, when the time calls, and you are ready, the barriers of awareness will expand and such confirmed information will be easily perceived, and known to them! Allow them to seek and find out when they are prepared. All will arrive to light in no time.) Ego sum via veritas et vita;Amesha Spenta;Vohu Mano; Allow all things measurable, microbial and astronomical to remain infinite, unchanged and arrive to light.
User avatar
Pneumatic-Coma
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby WendyDarling » Mon May 14, 2018 2:59 pm

There's no such thing as "hard scientific evidence".

How so if there is hard science and soft science? Hard scientific evidence would be through experimentation that can be 100% replicated whereas soft science would be more testimony based efforts that cannot be easily replicated.

I didn't say anything about truth just that skeptics tend to point to the lack of hard scientific evidence, the lack of proof they trust. There is a great deal of truth in the soft sciences and religion, but without the hard scientific evidence, skeptics will not believe anything an expert or multiple experts in those fields says.

Do skeptics tend to be life negating rather than life affirming? More negative than positive?
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
User avatar
WendyDarling
Heroine
 
Posts: 6948
Joined: Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:52 am
Location: Hades

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby Dan~ » Tue May 15, 2018 2:46 am

Pneumatic-Coma wrote:Like I said it get's us nowhere. And does more damage to actual knowledge of facts and proofs. it must be destroyed in order for more philosophers to become acceptable to TRUTHS. It's really destroying our sense of perception in these days and times. Guessing, and not knowing is one thing. Yet when Skeptics start to just 'Reject' everything. That's when all logic is gone.

Skepticism is a form of revenge against crafty people who are good at argument.
The skeptic rejects everyone, instead of only the crafty people, because he cannot tell who is a lier and who is not.
Skepticism is a form of self castration.
User avatar
Dan~
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 9951
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2005 8:14 am
Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue May 15, 2018 5:53 am

WendyDarling wrote:Do skeptics tend to be life negating rather than life affirming? More negative than positive?

There are so many kinds of skeptic, I would hesitate to generalize, but there is a tendency amongst those who label themselves as skeptics to be selectively skeptical and to never focus, skeptically, on what they choose to aim their skepticism at.
Karpel Tunnel
Thinker
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Tue May 15, 2018 5:59 am

Dan~ wrote:
Pneumatic-Coma wrote:Like I said it get's us nowhere. And does more damage to actual knowledge of facts and proofs. it must be destroyed in order for more philosophers to become acceptable to TRUTHS. It's really destroying our sense of perception in these days and times. Guessing, and not knowing is one thing. Yet when Skeptics start to just 'Reject' everything. That's when all logic is gone.

Skepticism is a form of revenge against crafty people who are good at argument.
The skeptic rejects everyone, instead of only the crafty people, because he cannot tell who is a lier and who is not.
Skepticism is a form of self castration.
I've had similar thoughts. I have often thought that the testicles they cut off are intuition. Because intuition can be bad, then we have to all assume no on is good at it, so cut it off.
Karpel Tunnel
Thinker
 
Posts: 594
Joined: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:26 pm

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Thu May 17, 2018 1:55 am

WendyDarling wrote:How so if there is hard science and soft science? Hard scientific evidence would be through experimentation that can be 100% replicated whereas soft science would be more testimony based efforts that cannot be easily replicated.

I didn't say anything about truth just that skeptics tend to point to the lack of hard scientific evidence, the lack of proof they trust. There is a great deal of truth in the soft sciences and religion, but without the hard scientific evidence, skeptics will not believe anything an expert or multiple experts in those fields says.

The only thing "hard" or "soft" are the standards by which people believe in any particular prepositions, and almost always, or always, directly corresponding with beliefs that benefit or flatter themselves. For science, hard and soft don't really matter. Either, common humans will defer their opinions to authorities, to "experts" ...as long as it suits their underlying agenda.

If science goes against the opinion of a common moron, then they will discount the science, and retain the belief anyway.

In short, "Science" is no guarantee for truth or validity. Science is merely a specialized criterion for what types of premises (based upon experimentation and replication) ought to be believed in, same as any other belief.


WendyDarling wrote:Do skeptics tend to be life negating rather than life affirming? More negative than positive?

More negative than positive, as Dan~ mentioned.

Skepticism is distrust against all, unable to discern which people are lying, false, or anybody telling the truth.
Urwrongx1000
Philosopher
 
Posts: 1003
Joined: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Skepticism Needs to End

Postby Pneumatic-Coma » Sat May 19, 2018 12:59 pm

WendyDarling wrote:
There's no such thing as "hard scientific evidence".

How so if there is hard science and soft science? Hard scientific evidence would be through experimentation that can be 100% replicated whereas soft science would be more testimony based efforts that cannot be easily replicated.

I didn't say anything about truth just that skeptics tend to point to the lack of hard scientific evidence, the lack of proof they trust. There is a great deal of truth in the soft sciences and religion, but without the hard scientific evidence, skeptics will not believe anything an expert or multiple experts in those fields says.

Do skeptics tend to be life negating rather than life affirming? More negative than positive?


#-o [-o<

Dan~ wrote:Skepticism is a form of revenge against crafty people who are good at argument.
The skeptic rejects everyone, instead of only the crafty people, because he cannot tell who is a lier and who is not.
Skepticism is a form of self castration.


Well there you have it it's unanimous, skeptics can only negate knowledge (i.e. Truth!) and therefore cannot, I repeat CANNOT supplement actual evidence. As facts and proofs go, that's also out the window.
I can't just discern evident support and validated confirmation of hypothesis. Experiments provide insight into cause-and-effect by demonstrating what outcome occurred when a particular factor was manipulated. Pragmatism has always taught me to look into more study and research more. Yet I fail to do any of this looking in from the perspective of 'skepticism'.
There is really no need to have even been associated with learning and education if all you're going to do is doubt.
Hell let's say the sun a liar and doubt it's even hot.
((Our object of desire isn't to change current belief systems or complicate already convoluted streams of information; we're not trying to even prove ourselves in anyway. We're just human beings similar to yourself. Not superior, the same. Ancestors of the lost world. The conflicts of beliefs you face in your world, are not only the conflict of self yet life, we cannot compel such conflicts to other's will for any self-benefit. The true goal reached here is there is nothing we can say nor do that can convince anyone else of what they don't know for themselves already. And, when the time calls, and you are ready, the barriers of awareness will expand and such confirmed information will be easily perceived, and known to them! Allow them to seek and find out when they are prepared. All will arrive to light in no time.) Ego sum via veritas et vita;Amesha Spenta;Vohu Mano; Allow all things measurable, microbial and astronomical to remain infinite, unchanged and arrive to light.
User avatar
Pneumatic-Coma
 
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:10 am


Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot]