Sloppy Tenths

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Sloppy Tenths

Postby Pandora » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 pm

Young Madonna with a child. In Middle Ages this was the rave of the day. You see the same image over and over again, hundreds and hundreds of portrayals is the same image, in every church and little chapel you step into. A young, maybe 13 or so, girl, with a baby. When I look at these images (or rather another copy of the same image) I cant help but see some rich dude behind it, with connections within the church, who likely bought a virgin girl bride and then paid good money to commission an artist to paint her with their child, as a Virgin Madonna. In a way, he made her immortal, but not as what she really was, or truly served as. There is also repulsiveness about it, hidden behind all the artistry. Like a reverence that pediphiles have for the innocence of the children they covet.
Now imagine that this propaganda image was seen by just about everyone at the time, perpetuating this myth of “holiness” and desirability, and in this particular form, that kept reappearing again and again.
A chaste young woman and a mother. Little girls would be introduced to it from a very early age and see it as an ideal as well. This is what they would be encouraged to emulate and grow up imitating. That god himself chooses and blesses chaste women over others, making her special - that must have been quite a compliment for women. This was the ultimate husbandry art (bravo!) - divine will, expressed in both positive and negative reinforcement. Who dared to challenge it? Only the devil and his spawn, for which he and his like would suffer for eternity. and if women did not wish to participate in glorified womb and sex trade (women as man’s chattel), they can always give themselves to Christ and live in a monastery - another way to keep tabs on female sexuality, lest it goes out of control.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:11 pm

There's so many fallacies and flaws in your arguments, that you merely repeat, that addressing them is not really worth my time.

And "being loyal" is not based on gender. Men and women, both, demand loyalty from each other. That should be obvious and common sense. But of course, loyalty is earned. Loyalty is based on respect.

As long as you keep repeating your fallacies and flawed arguments, I'm not going to respond. Go ahead with the last word if you want.
Urwrongx1000
Thinker

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:54 am

Sloppy tenths applies to men also.

There is no way I would consider a man to marry if he were poor or promiscuous. There is nothing admirable in poverty and only creates hardship for the woman and any future offspring. Poverty in a man represents and shows his failures. I don't want to be responsible for a man's upkeep.

Physical looks in a man. I have never been attracted to 'Hollywood' type men. Looks are not that important, health is.
The man that walks his own road, walks alone

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby gib » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:26 am

A Shieldmaiden wrote:Sloppy tenths applies to men also.

^ Thank you! =D>

There is no way I would consider a man to marry if he were poor or promiscuous. There is nothing admirable in poverty and only creates hardship for the woman and any future offspring. Poverty in a man represents and shows his failures. I don't want to be responsible for a man's upkeep.

Man you're a snob.

Physical looks in a man. I have never been attracted to 'Hollywood' type men. Looks are not that important, health is.

So when did you get your lobotomy?
My thoughts | My art | My music | My poetry

Is that a demon slug in your stomach or are you just happy to see me?
- Rick Sanchez

That's earth therapy. You might as well ask a horse to fix a merry-go-round. I mean, he'll try his best, but mostly, he's just gonna get horrified.
- Rick Sanchez

You're young, you have your whole life ahead of you, and your anal cavity is still taut yet malleable.
- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:55 am

This makes perfect sense in my experiences. Refreshingly honest.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby gib » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:45 am

Mr Reasonable wrote:

This makes perfect sense in my experiences. Refreshingly honest.

Yeah, you realize, don't you Shieldy, that you're reinforcing the stereotype that women only like men for their money, right? Thanks for providing yourself as a living example.

- Rick Sanchez

That's earth therapy. You might as well ask a horse to fix a merry-go-round. I mean, he'll try his best, but mostly, he's just gonna get horrified.
- Rick Sanchez

You're young, you have your whole life ahead of you, and your anal cavity is still taut yet malleable.
- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Postby Mr Reasonable » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:01 am

Why wouldn't they? Money is value. In the real world, emotional support, political agreement, physical attraction are all things that one can survive without. Gotta have that money and if you don't have enough then life becomes a bitch really fast. It's like one of those things that everyone really knows but doesn't like to talk about...I mean...everything is, and always has been for sale. There's always going to be those who complain about the price.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian

Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Wed Mar 28, 2018 8:18 am

Totally agree with you Mr R, beautifully said.

There is a price for everything and that includes looking after yourself.

Gib wrote:
Yeah, you realize, don't you Shieldy, that you're reinforcing the stereotype that women only like men for their money, right? Thanks for providing yourself as a living example.

Why did you chose to ignore that I also stated I would look for a man of honourable character and good health?

Gib......What woman wants a man who struggles with a drug or alcohol addiction, and

Urwrong1000...

if a woman has the audacity to express certain attributes she deems necessary in her man of choice she is labelled 'a snob'. LOL

You want the best of and in a woman, in that case you have to present equally or beyond for her.

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby gib » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:55 pm

A Shieldmaiden wrote:Why did you chose to ignore that I also stated I would look for a man of honourable character and good health?

That wasn't a separate statement from how I interpret it. You said a man's wealth status is indicative of his character and health.

A Shieldmaiden wrote:Gib......What woman wants a man who struggles with a drug or alcohol addiction...

A Shieldmaiden wrote:Urwrong1000...

if a woman has the audacity to express certain attributes she deems necessary in her man of choice she is labelled 'a snob'. LOL

I know this wasn't directed at me, but this is one of those cases where we get to say: it has nothing to do with you being a woman (AFAIK). It has to do with you being... Australian! :o

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:39 am

Gib wrote:

It has to do with you being... Australian!

How so? unless you have been refused entry. :lol:

OOOH SNAAPP!!!
Last edited by A Shieldmaiden on Thu Mar 29, 2018 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Thu Mar 29, 2018 2:27 am

A Shieldmaiden wrote:
Why did you chose to ignore that I also stated I would look for a man of honourable character and good health?

Gib wrote:
That wasn't a separate statement from how I interpret it.

You said a man's wealth status is indicative of his character and health.

No I didn't say that. Common sense will tell you that not all men of wealth are of honourable character and some have the 'love' of money which then renders it useless.

Money is a necessity today in this society and without it misery prevails.

Mr Micawber's famous, and oft-quoted, recipe for happiness:

"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen [pounds] nineteen [shillings] and six [pence], result happiness.

Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."

Charles Dickens, David Copperfield

Interestingly, the inspiration for this quote is attributed to Dickens’ own father, a perpetual debtor who eventually wound up in the Marshalsea debtor’s prison. This period of time for Dickens, who was only 12 years old, had a profound effect on him.

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby A Shieldmaiden » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:36 am

Old Norse Proverb
A Shieldmaiden
Philosopher

Postby gib » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Hey Shieldy,

I think I'm gonna leave this conversation as it stands.

Money is a necessity, not only in today's world but since time immemorial. I always wonder though: can that be equated with love?

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Postby Meno_ » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:53 pm

Well I hate to see a good man go, but if I may add the words of my own noted but mostly unheard of poet-dad, to quote,-:
'Money is mostly funny'.

And another very famous chanteuse , 'what has love got to do with it''?
Meno_
Philosopher

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:56 pm

Money is equated with peace for without it there is only struggle.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby WendyDarling » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:13 pm

I agree that sloppy tenths applies to men also. Only men push the idea that women desire male [Edit: slutdom rather than] whoredom.
Last edited by WendyDarling on Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

I live my philosophy, it's personal to me and people who engage where I live establish an unspoken dynamic, a relationship of sorts, with me and my philosophy.

Cutting folks for sport is a reality for the poor in spirit. I myself only cut the poor in spirit on Tues., Thurs., and every other Sat.
WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Serendipper » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Money doesn't make the world go round, but it oils the wheels.
Serendipper
Thinker

Postby gib » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:35 pm

WendyDarling wrote:I agree that sloppy tenths applies to men also. Only men push the idea that women desire male whoredom.

What is "male whoredom"?

Serendipper wrote:Money doesn't make the world go round, but it oils the wheels.

Oh yeah? Check this out: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=189596&hilit=conveyor+belt&start=75#p2585290

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:01 am

What is "male whoredom"?

That would be a male gigolo, but what I meant were male sluts, male slutdom. My apologies, correction made.

I recently asked a man in his 60s what percentage of men frequent different prostitutes beds [ie. men who have intercourse with more than one prostitute] and he answered a whopping 50% have slept with more than one prostitute. Really? Shockingly high.

Stronger Sexual Impulses, Not Weaker Self-Control, May Explain Why Men Cheat More Than Women, Study Reveals https://news.utexas.edu/2013/09/18/stud ... -frequency

What would explain this difference is simple. Men are visually aroused which is easily provided by women in most public places with curve hugging outfits, revealing outfits, flawless makeup, etc. Women on the other hand need more mental stimulation and verbal intimacy which isn't easily accessible in public places. So men are always becoming aroused and women aren't.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Serendipper » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:50 am

gib wrote:
Serendipper wrote:Money doesn't make the world go round, but it oils the wheels.

Oh yeah? Check this out: http://www.ilovephilosophy.com/viewtopi ... 5#p2585290

Cool! How long did it take you to find that old post? :) My HS history teacher said that and I just happened to remember. Something about this thread loosened the gears in my head :P
Serendipper
Thinker

Postby gib » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:38 am

WendyDarling wrote:
What is "male whoredom"?

That would be a male gigolo, but what I meant were male sluts, male slutdom. My apologies, correction made.

So what's a male slut? Is that like a male whore who doesn't get paid?

^ In other words, an ordinary guy?

WendyDarling wrote:I recently asked a man in his 60s what percentage of men frequent different prostitutes beds [ie. men who have intercourse with more than one prostitute] and he answered a whopping 50% have slept with more than one prostitute. Really? Shockingly high.

And you believed him?

WendyDarling wrote:
Stronger Sexual Impulses, Not Weaker Self-Control, May Explain Why Men Cheat More Than Women, Study Reveals https://news.utexas.edu/2013/09/18/stud ... -frequency

^ Just FYI before we continue, I don't believe studies.

What would explain this difference is simple. I know, right? Men are visually aroused which is easily provided by women Yep. in most public places with curve hugging outfits, revealing outfits, flawless makeup, etc. <-- True dat. Women on the other hand need more mental stimulation and verbal intimacy which isn't easily accessible in public places. So men are always becoming aroused and women aren't.

^ Your insight into the differences between men and women is impecable, Wendy.

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Postby gib » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:42 am

Serendipper wrote:Cool! How long did it take you to find that old post? :) Maybe 9 seconds? I just looked up "conveyor belt" My HS history <-- What's HS? teacher said that and I just happened to remember. Something about this thread loosened the gears in my head :P

^ I'm sure you have a lot of gears in your head.

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez

- Rick Sanchez
gib
resident exorcist

Postby WendyDarling » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:33 pm

gib wrote:
WendyDarling wrote:
What is "male whoredom"?

So what's a male slut? Is that like a male whore who doesn't get paid? Yep.

^ In other words, an ordinary guy? Ordinary guys who complain about getting no sex have more than a few partners? Men need to get their stories straight either they are sex deprived virgins, had relatively few partners, or they are sluts with a double digit for the number of their partners.

WendyDarling wrote:I recently asked a man in his 60s what percentage of men frequent different prostitutes beds [ie. men who have intercourse with more than one prostitute] and he answered a whopping 50% have slept with more than one prostitute. Really? Shockingly high.

And you believed him? Why wouldn't I? What's the percentage, Gib?

WendyDarling wrote:

^ Just FYI before we continue, I don't believe studies. So you don't believe a big chunk of scientific research?

What would explain this difference is simple. I know, right? Men are visually aroused which is easily provided by women Yep. in most public places with curve hugging outfits, revealing outfits, flawless makeup, etc. <-- True dat. Women on the other hand need more mental stimulation and verbal intimacy which isn't easily accessible in public places. So men are always becoming aroused and women aren't.

^ Your insight into the differences between men and women is impecable, Wendy. Snide remarks not withstanding, my insight is valid.
I AM OFFICIALLY IN HELL!

WendyDarling
Heroine

Postby Serendipper » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:41 pm

gib wrote:
Serendipper wrote:Cool! How long did it take you to find that old post? :) Maybe 9 seconds? I just looked up "conveyor belt" My HS history <-- What's HS? teacher said that and I just happened to remember. Something about this thread loosened the gears in my head :P

^ I'm sure you have a lot of gears in your head.

Too bad they're connected with loose screws :P

HS = High School. He was a helluva guy. He issued history books with the instruction to put them under our beds until the end of the year because he didn't need a book to teach us history, but the state required they be issued.

I searched Carleas' history for "human" and was told I can't use that word. Then I tried "obviously human" and got 9000 results. Been trying for two days to find where I'm sure I saw that he lifted the moderator approval requirement for someone who was "obviously human" who posted about it in meta.
Serendipper
Thinker

Postby Serendipper » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:49 pm

WendyDarling wrote:^ Just FYI before we continue, I don't believe studies. So you don't believe a big chunk of scientific research?

Is Most Published Research Wrong?

Within a few minutes I can pick apart most studies (group too small, biased sampling, leaps to conclusions, etc, etc). One must really study studies.
Serendipper
Thinker

PreviousNext

Return to Philosophy