Life's purpose is to create Artificial General Intelligence

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Life's purpose is to create Artificial General Intelligence

Postby ProgrammingGodJordan » Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:26 am

1.a) Life's purpose is reasonably to do optimization.

2.a) Artificial General intelligence (AGI), will probably arise in one decade or more, and they shall probably be better optimizers than humans.
2.d) In fact AGI is often referred to as the last invention mankind need ever make: https://youtube.com/watch?v=9snY7lhJA4c)

3) Thus, our purpose as a species is reasonably to focus on AGI development.

Some benefits of AGI may be:

I) Solve many problems, including aging, death, etc.

II) Agi may be used to help to find a unified theory of everything in physics!

III) Enable a new step in the evolutionary landscape; i.e. general intelligence that's not limited to human brain power, where humans may perhaps no longer be required to exist because smarter, stronger artificial sentient things would instead thrive.
ProgrammingGodJordan

Re: Life's purpose is to create Artificial General Intellige

Postby Pandora » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:52 am

Okay. And then what?

Suppose all the goals/dreams have been met.
What now?
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Magnus Anderson » Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:59 pm

Well, it appears to me that by following this logic the actual goal of humanity is to sleep comfortably while everyone and everything else is making sure noone and nothing interrupts it.

I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Karpel Tunnel » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:34 pm

1) How did you decide there is a purpose to life? Where does teleology come in? I am not going to read your links, but it seems to me they will address where things are inevitably heading, which is not a purpose, at least not within science. The ball rolling downhill is does not have the purpose of reaching the bottom
2) If it is life's purpose then where does the need to convince anyone of it arise from? If it is, it will happen, so no need to proselytize.
3) Perhaps the AI's will do what from our perspective are bad things. I mean, efficiency and optimization in the business world have created workplaces like the horrible Amazon floor where every movement of the workers is monitors and critiqued, a kind of assembly panopticon.
Karpel Tunnel

Postby unknowing » Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:50 pm

If enough people believe something it is inevitable, then it is.

The real question is whether society could put the brakes on this even if it wanted to.

Computers solve problems. But more complex problems arise as a result. Is there an end to that?
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
unknowing

Location: In a Tower that is neither intellectual nor phallic, but technological in spirit.

Postby encode_decode » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:06 pm

Oh, I thought life's purpose was to become a shovel.

My bad!
    Neosophi | οἶκος | ἀγορά

It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
    (Anomaly654 - 2017)

But the point remains that you can't get at that meaning before grasping the surface meaning
    - which is to say there is always meaning.

(gib - 2017)

Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion.
    (Myself - 2017)
    encode_decode
    Philosopher

Return to Philosophy