The meaning of life is ...

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

The meaning of life is ...

Postby unknowing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 am

To live. To experience life. The ups and downs of living. This includes feeling the feelings associated with the mystery behind the meaning of life.

When I am not content with simple definition, a lack of complex purpose pervades and I want to die.

So live life.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
unknowing

Location: In a Tower that is neither intellectual nor phallic, but technological in spirit.

Re: The meaning of life is ...

Postby Prismatic567 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 am

unknowing wrote:To live. To experience life. The ups and downs of living. This includes feeling the feelings associated with the mystery behind the meaning of life.

When I am not content with simple definition, a lack of complex purpose pervades and I want to die.

So live life.
The purpose[s] of life can be abstracted from empirical evidences of what had been and is going on in life on Earth, and therefrom polished such purpose[s] with refined philosophical justifications.

Example of one purpose in life.
From personal experiences and empirical evidence of life on Earth there is one critical purpose for the male and female, i.e. fuck and reproduce the next generation.
However based on evidences and philosophical rationalization there is a need to provide for exceptions [homosexuality, mastebations, sex for pleasure, etc.] to the above.

Once one have understood how the various purposes and variations apply to oneself, then one need to align and flow with those related purposes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

The above is merely one example. In reality one has to understand the whole set-up of humanity within the Universe to understand the whole range of meanings of life and how to 'flow' with it.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Postby WW_III_ANGRY » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 pm

unknowing wrote:To live. To experience life. The ups and downs of living. This includes feeling the feelings associated with the mystery behind the meaning of life.

So live life.

There was a time in the internet when people asked that question and that is all in which I responded. I wonder if my words had weight to spread so much so that people in general have begun to come to a consensus. But maybe not. But I do know it was odd that nobody had that answer when I saw these questions being asked decades ago on the internet. Now, this answer is common. Maybe I give myself too much credit, but I do wonder about the speed of which the thoughts we say can travel.
WW_III_ANGRY
Philosopher

Postby unknowing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 pm

WW_III_ANGRY wrote:

So live life.

There was a time in the internet when people asked that question and that is all in which I responded. I wonder if my words had weight to spread so much so that people in general have begun to come to a consensus. But maybe not. But I do know it was odd that nobody had that answer when I saw these questions being asked decades ago on the internet. Now, this answer is common. Maybe I give myself too much credit, but I do wonder about the speed of which the thoughts we say can travel.

Please give yourself credit. I did not orginate on this. Thoughts and ideas do travel. Thanks.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
unknowing

Location: In a Tower that is neither intellectual nor phallic, but technological in spirit.

Postby surreptitious75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 pm

I am an absurdist so see no objective meaning to life per se only the subjective ones we give our own lives
Nothing is true in the grand scheme of things as everything only matters in the here and now no where else
Whatever meaning ones give their life will cease to be on point of death for beyond that meaning cannot be
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75

Return to Philosophy