The meaning of life is ...

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

The meaning of life is ...

Postby unknowing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:29 am

To live. To experience life. The ups and downs of living. This includes feeling the feelings associated with the mystery behind the meaning of life.

When I am not content with simple definition, a lack of complex purpose pervades and I want to die.

So live life.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
unknowing

Re: The meaning of life is ...

Postby Prismatic567 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 am

unknowing wrote:To live. To experience life. The ups and downs of living. This includes feeling the feelings associated with the mystery behind the meaning of life.

When I am not content with simple definition, a lack of complex purpose pervades and I want to die.

So live life.
The purpose[s] of life can be abstracted from empirical evidences of what had been and is going on in life on Earth, and therefrom polished such purpose[s] with refined philosophical justifications.

Example of one purpose in life.
From personal experiences and empirical evidence of life on Earth there is one critical purpose for the male and female, i.e. fuck and reproduce the next generation.
However based on evidences and philosophical rationalization there is a need to provide for exceptions [homosexuality, mastebations, sex for pleasure, etc.] to the above.

Once one have understood how the various purposes and variations apply to oneself, then one need to align and flow with those related purposes.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

The above is merely one example. In reality one has to understand the whole set-up of humanity within the Universe to understand the whole range of meanings of life and how to 'flow' with it.
I am a progressive human being, a World Citizen, NOT-a-theist and not religious.
Prismatic567
Philosopher

Postby WW_III_ANGRY » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:32 pm

unknowing wrote:To live. To experience life. The ups and downs of living. This includes feeling the feelings associated with the mystery behind the meaning of life.

So live life.

There was a time in the internet when people asked that question and that is all in which I responded. I wonder if my words had weight to spread so much so that people in general have begun to come to a consensus. But maybe not. But I do know it was odd that nobody had that answer when I saw these questions being asked decades ago on the internet. Now, this answer is common. Maybe I give myself too much credit, but I do wonder about the speed of which the thoughts we say can travel.
WW_III_ANGRY
Philosopher

Postby unknowing » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:46 pm

WW_III_ANGRY wrote:

So live life.

There was a time in the internet when people asked that question and that is all in which I responded. I wonder if my words had weight to spread so much so that people in general have begun to come to a consensus. But maybe not. But I do know it was odd that nobody had that answer when I saw these questions being asked decades ago on the internet. Now, this answer is common. Maybe I give myself too much credit, but I do wonder about the speed of which the thoughts we say can travel.

Please give yourself credit. I did not orginate on this. Thoughts and ideas do travel. Thanks.
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."
unknowing

Postby surreptitious75 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:38 pm

I am an absurdist so see no objective meaning to life per se only the subjective ones we give our own lives
Nothing is true in the grand scheme of things as everything only matters in the here and now no where else
Whatever meaning ones give their life will cease to be on point of death for beyond that meaning cannot be
A MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE : IT DOES NOT WORK UNLESS IT IS OPEN
surreptitious75

Postby Arcturus Descending » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 pm

I have not decided yet whether or not "meaning" is innate but I find that what is capable of giving life meaning is the individual's conscious realization of the below ~~

:happy-sunshine:
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:09 pm

From an information perspective(the current revolution):

• Meaning is an expression of information and everything can be expressed as information so therefore meaning is an expression of everything.
    Unless I messed that up somehow.

:D
      Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony
      (James S Saint)

It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
      (Anomaly654)

Mind is an ever changing dimension that is bound to reality, logic and emotion.
      (Myself)
      encode_decode
      Philosopher

Postby Dan~ » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:49 pm

I talked a little bit with Fausto about creating and destroying meaning.
      I said one should be careful with destroying or abandoning meanings.
      Then he said we should be also careful about what meanings we create.

Restraint. Caution. Consideration.

Sometimes little things are essential for life.
      Would you wreck a bird's nest? For example.
      This little twist of shrubs.
      But it means the world to the bird that made it.

Some people "Love" god so much they can't live without him.
      Breaking his dreams is not doing him a favor.
      I like http://www.accuradio.com , internet radio.
      https://dannerz.itch.io/ -- a new and minimal webside now hosting two of my free game projects.
      Dan~
      ILP Legend

Location: May the loving spirit of papa hitler watch over and bless you all.

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:23 pm

encode_decode wrote:
        From an information perspective(the current revolution):

• Meaning is an expression of information and everything can be expressed as information so therefore meaning is an expression of everything.
        Unless I messed that up somehow.

:D

Would that also Include the experience of those "aha" moments, rapturous and ecstatic moments?
        After all, we are not computers or robots, are we?
        Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
        Arcturus Descending
        Consciousness Seeker

Postby encode_decode » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Arcturus Descending

Using an information perspective need not detract from the beauty of life, it is just another way of looking at things.

Arcturus Descending wrote:Would that also Include the experience of those "aha" moments, rapturous and ecstatic moments?

Of course - an "aha" moment would be yet another expression just as ecstasy itself.

Arcturus Descending wrote:After all, we are not computers or robots, are we?

No we are not.

I imagine information has a beauty of its own - like the information contained within your favorite poem.
            Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

Clarify, Verify, Instill, and Reinforce the Perception of Hopes and Threats unto Anentropic Harmony
            (James S Saint)

It’s not that truth itself is being eroded per se, it’s that fragmental falsification appears to be increasing.
            (Anomaly654)

(Myself)
            encode_decode
            Philosopher

Postby Serendipper » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:36 pm

The meaning of life is the definition of the word. The purpose of life is to live without having a purpose in mind.
            Serendipper
            Thinker

Postby encode_decode » Fri Mar 30, 2018 3:32 am

Serendipper wrote:The meaning of life is the definition of the word. The purpose of life is to live without having a purpose in mind.

Without having a purpose in mind? That sounds scary - my mind tells me that I should have some purpose and when I do have purpose then I feel motivated.
              Neosophi | HOME | FORUM

(James S Saint)

(Anomaly654)

(Myself)
              encode_decode
              Philosopher

Postby Serendipper » Fri Mar 30, 2018 4:24 am

encode_decode wrote:
              Serendipper wrote:The meaning of life is the definition of the word. The purpose of life is to live without having a purpose in mind.

Without having a purpose in mind? That sounds scary - my mind tells me that I should have some purpose and when I do have purpose then I feel motivated.

I know the feeling.
              Serendipper
              Thinker

Postby thinker4life » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:23 pm

So live life.

Why can't each of us choose the meaning of our life? I do recommend choosing wisely, and sticking with what I call "universal morals" - which is essentially one of Kant's two definitions of morals if I understand right, namingly the one that says that if a moral is so clearly true that any rational person would agree to it, then it is a universal moral. I'd say any meaning of life that you choose that abides by universal morals is fair game, and you should pick the meaning of your life to be something that's very interesting and exciting to you. It makes life more fun, and gives you a mission to accomplish during your time here on earth.

Buddhists would probably say we should also seek to end our suffering while doing good in the world, I think that's a wise goal to add to any meaning of life you decide to give yourself. Buddhism has quite a bit of valuable wisdom to teach, for those who seek it out.
              thinker4life

Return to Philosophy