Why You Are Here

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Why You Are Here

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:26 pm

I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:33 pm

I don't click on youtube or link responses.

If you want to respond then go ahead with text.
Urwrongx1000
Thinker

Postby Pandora » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Pandora wrote:Arc wrote,

Wisdom to me has more to do with the natural and right flow of a moral and ethical life and how to carry that out for the good of all.

Wisdom has the maturity and intelligence to carefully and deliberately *do no harm* but to do the *greatest good*.
I don’t see the connection between “natural”, “ethical”, “good for all” and “do no harm”. The closest concept to that in nature would be balance, but that has nothing to do with any of the other concepts. For instance, in nature, balance may imply harm to many. The problem with man is that he always sees himself as an exception. He IS nature and all is made in harmony with his views, which he then calls wisdom.

Here’s an example of human wisdom in action, for the good of all:
https://newatlas.com/dna-vaccine-flu-universal/52768/

Nobody wants to accept the possibility that epidemics might be a nature’s way to restore population balance. But, no, human life is too precious. We better turn everybody gay, instead.
Pandora
Philosopher

Postby Arcturus Descending » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 pm

Pandora wrote:Arc wrote,

Wisdom to me has more to do with the natural and right flow of a moral and ethical life and how to carry that out for the good of all.

Wisdom has the maturity and intelligence to carefully and deliberately *do no harm* but to do the *greatest good*.
I don’t see the connection between “natural”, “ethical”, “good for all” and “do no harm”. The closest concept to that in nature would be balance, but that has nothing to do with any of the other concepts. For instance, in nature, balance may imply harm to many. The problem with man is that he always sees himself as an exception. He IS nature and all is made in harmony with his views, which he then calls wisdom.

You may have a point about my having inserted the word "natural" there along with " right flow of a moral and ethical life and how to carry that out for the good of all."
Perhaps there is nothing which comes natural to the second part of that.
Leading a moral and ethical life is not necessarily that natural or easy or without struggle.

*Balance* is a good word but I do not know, Pandora. Balance may not be the answer to everything but my subjective thinking is that it can help the cause of a moral and ethical life as opposed to being a hedonist and a narcissist who cares nothing for anyone.

True, in nature balance can imply harm to others. If you are speaking for instance of survival of the fittest in the animal kingdom, there is no morality or ethics there. Just nature being nature. Yes, there is harm to many unfortunately but there is also gain to many, no?

Animals are experimented on (I love animals) so that humans can lead a disease-free and healthy life. I cannot be reconciled to that either way. I just do not know what the answer is except for as much compassion as possible and as you say -balance. Too simplistic though, right?
There are no *easy* answers. Perhaps all we can do is try to find more of a balance.
Can we do better than that? I do not know.

The problem with man is that he always sees himself as an exception. He IS nature and all is made in harmony with his views, which he then calls wisdom.

:-k This one kind of has me stymied. I can go along with that in part, Pandora.
At the same time, do you think that there can be a difference between *actual* wisdom and one who strives to exercise that, to be that ~~ and ~~ what would be considered to be someone else's own brand of so-called wisdom or *the right thing to do* - if that made sense to you.

Maybe it all comes down to how much we want to utilize our consciousness and conscience.
There are so many questions without answers.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Postby Gloominary » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:21 pm

Magnus Anderson wrote:

One of the greatet movie quotes of all time. :lol:
Gloominary
Thinker

Postby Arcturus Descending » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:56 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:I am here to understand the thought processes of the knowledgeable and wise
I have no wisdom myself so am not really a participant here more an observer

You are here, surreptitious, so actually you are a participant. You respond to posts et cetera. You may not get deeply involved with people but you do get involved in some sense.

It seems to me that any observer also participates. What does he/she participate in?
An inter-connectedness, to me, between who observes and what it is which is observed.

I sit on a park bench and simply observe a tree ~~ no thoughts just *seeing*...just being there.
Do you see no relationship, no participation between the observer, myself, and that tree?

Ich und Du.

Why do you always say that you have no wisdom?
It is one thing to shout it to the world as many do but it is another thing to simply allow what you may intuit at times without denying it or confirming it.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.

The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”

You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker

Previous

Return to Philosophy