Why You Are Here

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Why You Are Here

Postby Magnus Anderson » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:26 pm

I got a philosophy degree, I'm not upset that I can't find work as a philosopher. It was my decision, and I knew that it wasn't a money making degree, so I get money elsewhere.
-- Mr. Reasonable
Magnus Anderson
Philosopher

Postby Urwrongx1000 » Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:33 pm

I don't click on youtube or link responses.

If you want to respond then go ahead with text.
Urwrongx1000
Thinker

Postby Pandora » Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:29 pm

Pandora wrote:Arc wrote,

Wisdom to me has more to do with the natural and right flow of a moral and ethical life and how to carry that out for the good of all.

Wisdom has the maturity and intelligence to carefully and deliberately *do no harm* but to do the *greatest good*.
I don’t see the connection between “natural”, “ethical”, “good for all” and “do no harm”. The closest concept to that in nature would be balance, but that has nothing to do with any of the other concepts. For instance, in nature, balance may imply harm to many. The problem with man is that he always sees himself as an exception. He IS nature and all is made in harmony with his views, which he then calls wisdom.

Here’s an example of human wisdom in action, for the good of all:
https://newatlas.com/dna-vaccine-flu-universal/52768/

Nobody wants to accept the possibility that epidemics might be a nature’s way to restore population balance. But, no, human life is too precious. We better turn everybody gay, instead.
Pandora
Philosopher

Previous

Return to Philosophy