Why pro-choice is so important

This is the main board for discussing philosophy - formal, informal and in between.

Moderator: Only_Humean

Forum rules
Forum Philosophy

Re: Why pro-choice is so important

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:48 pm

surreptitious75 wrote:
Arc wrote:
Why are the above thoughts of positive potential and possibilities so pointless though

You are presenting an argument based on appeal to emotion which is a logical fallacy


Actually, I was not, surreptitious. I was basing my argument, as I see it, on future possibilities (they do exist, you know) and on a reasonable attempt to question whether abortion ought to be automatic simply because one wants it that way. That is not to say that our arguments/discussions on abortion cannot become emotional.

I am quite capable of being the emotional creature. Many in here know that but I am also quite capable of being a fierce unemotional creature. lol

Are you saying that the statements which I made cannot be seen as "ethical" arguments although some might consider them to be superfluous?

They only become pointless to some who do not want to see a larger picture. If we do not open Schrodinger's box and look inside, how will we know if that cat is dead or alive or what he even looks like?
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.


The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.


“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”


You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15209
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Why pro-choice is so important

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:01 pm

Mr Reasonable wrote:
Arcturus Descending wrote:
Mr Reasonable wrote:Why is it wrong to abort a fetus?


Consider the individual who would someday evolve from that unborn baby.

How many lives might it have possibly, potentially someday have saved through medicine, wartime, et cetera?

How many wonderful useful books might it have written had he/she lived?

How much love, caring and happiness might this individual have extended to many others? What if the woman, who was someday to become Mother Teresa, had been aborted as a fetus?



Statistically, the odds of any of this shit happening are pretty slim.


Oh, and why would you say that? Are you omniscient?

How could that even be proven either way, statistically speaking, since the baby was aborted?!
Well, I suppose that if that unborn child were saved, and followed throughout his/her life to see how he/she evolved/developed, that might tell a story.

Sometimes I think that *pro choice* can be just as illogical as *freedom of speech* where anything seems to go at times.


BUT my point was about possibility and potential and how we lay waste to humans/humanity. It may seem silly to certain people that I might think that way but Who Can Say for Sure the positive affect that one unborn child may someday have on the world?

I wonder what the statistics might have said about all of those little children, who came from nowhere, who were born of nothingness, who seemingly different have a chance in the world, and later became great, accomplishing important things.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.


The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.


“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”


You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15209
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Why pro-choice is so important

Postby Arcturus Descending » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:18 pm

phyllo wrote:
phyllo wrote:
We value our *things* more than our children and future children.
Yes, it's all about how we value things and what we value.

One could say that human life is intrinsically valuable. But is it more valuable than the value that a woman places on the ability to control her own life?


=;
Evidently, in many cases, the woman did not place much value at all on controlling her life. HAD SHE DONE THAT, she wouldn't have had to consider having an abortion to begin with.

A little bit of cognitive thinking over lust might have been more valuable to her controlling her life.
Joseph Joubert ~~

It is better to debate a question without settling it than to settle a question without debating it.


The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.


“We love repose of mind so well, that we are arrested by anything which has even the appearance of truth; and so we fall asleep on clouds.”


You have to be like the pebble in the stream, keeping the grain and rolling along without being dissolved or dissolving anything else.
User avatar
Arcturus Descending
Consciousness Seeker
 
Posts: 15209
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: A state of unknowing

Re: Why pro-choice is so important

Postby phyllo » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:17 pm

=;
Evidently, in many cases, the woman did not place much value at all on controlling her life. HAD SHE DONE THAT, she wouldn't have had to consider having an abortion to begin with.

A little bit of cognitive thinking over lust might have been more valuable to her controlling her life.
Assuming that the pregnancy is not the result of deception or accident, then she valued something else along with control over her life which induced her to act in a particular way.

It's possible to value more than one thing at the same time or sequentially.
phyllo
ILP Legend
 
Posts: 10725
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:41 am

Re: Why pro-choice is so important

Postby Mr Reasonable » Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Arc, I'm saying that out of all the people in the world, there just aren't that many Mother Teresa types and there aren't that many who are writing books that impact society or making discoveries that advance society. Most people just don't do those kinds of things, so odds are that this fetus wont either. I'd venture to say that you'd probably be doing the world a favor, since most people are actually dependent and parasitic and will do nothing to advance themselves, let alone humanity.
You see...a pimp's love is very different from that of a square.
Dating a stripper is like eating a noisy bag of chips in church. Everyone looks at you in disgust, but deep down they want some too.

What exactly is logic? -Magnus Anderson

Support the innocence project on AmazonSmile instead of Turd's African savior biker dude.
http://www.innocenceproject.org/
User avatar
Mr Reasonable
resident contrarian
 
Posts: 25345
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:54 am
Location: pimping a hole straight through the stratosphere itself

Previous

Return to Philosophy



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]